Oil Leak - New Si

Chief 1523

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2015
Has anyone experienced an oil leak with less than 500 miles? I can see fresh oil on the metal plate at the bottom of the engine compartment. Any thoughts? I'm taking it into the dealer on Monday.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Leak - New Si IMG_1576.JPG
Sponsored

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Nothing but a dead insect in mine in that location. However, there was some oil pooled up in on the back of the engine. The valve cover has a light coating of oil as well and it looks like it was dropping down the side of the oil filler cap even though it is tight. I do smell a little oil burning if I pull into the garage following spirited driving. 1,700 miles.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Leak - New Si IMG_7113.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Leak - New Si oil

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Leak - New Si IMG_7114.JPG

Darky

First Name
Darcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
weird..cant say I've noticed any in mine

OP
OP

Chief 1523

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2015
Has anyone experienced an oil leak with less than 500 miles? I can see fresh oil on the metal plate at the bottom of the engine compartment. Any thoughts? I'm taking it into the dealer on Monday.

IMG_1576.JPG
UPDATE. Took the car to the dealer today. They identified the leak as coming from the rear main seal. 1-2 days to repair.

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura TLX Type-S / 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Wow! a rear main seal!:confused1::nono: That's awful to see such a problem on such a new car:oops:
:hmm:

JNOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00' EX H23A, 17' Si Sedan WOP
I cant even tell where the leak is in the original post or where I should look on my car to see if I have the same issue.

CivicSi84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chrysler 200
Country flag
Wow! a rear main seal!:confused1::nono: That's awful to see such a problem on such a new car:oops:
:hmm:
It happens, as long as its an isolated occurrence and doesnt turn out to be a major problem then you just have to chalk it up to one slipping through QC. Happens to the best of them no matter what brand or industry for that matter.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
ugh.... Rear Main is my least favorite oil leak fix to do on any car....... well, maybe it's better than doing a Front Main actually

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
ugh.... Rear Main is my least favorite oil leak fix to do on any car....... well, maybe it's better than doing a Front Main actually
Rear main seal replacement requires removal of the transmission and flywheel... Front main seal is easily accessed behind crankshaft pulley.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
Rear main seal replacement requires removal of the transmission and flywheel... Front main seal is easily accessed behind crankshaft pulley.
On a BMW, it's a bitch to get off the crank bolt

OP
OP

Chief 1523

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2015
It's an intensive repair. Lots of stuff to remove and replace. For what its worth, I now have a slight intermittent whine when I release/engage the clutch.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
It's an intensive repair. Lots of stuff to remove and replace. For what its worth, I now have a slight intermittent whine when I release/engage the clutch.
:( That's one of my biggest fears when buying any new vehicle is having to have it torn apart. It is simply impossible for a vehicle to go back together exactly how it was assembled from the factory by robots and experienced humans working under tightly controlled conditions.

The new '17 Ridgeline I bought last year had a recall for a wiring harness that was manufactured out of spec by a third party supplier. The entire bed and half of the interior had to come apart to replace the entire harness. Fortunately, mine only required an additional wire be ran to replace the original wire which was much less invasive. New Type R owners are having problems with a sensor connector that requires replacement of the entire engine harness.