Officially Revealed: 2017 Honda Civic Type R with 306 hp / 295 lb-ft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
Saw a statement somewhere that said this was due to US testing or something like that and that it is 10 more than the 9th gen, so I guess the 9th gen would have been rated 296 here.
This is absolutely correct in my eyes. 296hp by US standards is 306bhp in europe. So the 316bhp in europe (320ps) is 306hp in US
Sponsored

habibmustafa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I hope someone clarify the meaning of 'limited' number soon. And how true is InsideLane's statement with the 'honda always look at tuning the HP with each yearly release? Can anyone vouch for that? Perhaps I personally would wait another year to see how this debut model performs.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
adaptive dual-pinion electric power steering system with variable gear ratio
This might be bad news. Usually it changes ratio with speed. I checked this adaptive steering at Bmw, Porsche Cayman and in both cases it results in a overall altered feeling. You need longer time to get used to it. It's confusing compared to fixed ratio steering as you don't know how much the car will steer at a certain speed.
Why couldn't have they just provided a non-adaptive direct steering? This is not a soccer moms car.
For me steering is a deal breaker. If it won't offer a genuine direct feel I won't consider this car. No matter how much lateral and longitudinal acceleration is capable of.

2. I'm waiting the reviews but from the initial specs it looks like a reheated soup to me. They took parts from FK2 type R and adapted them on Xth get hatch. I guess within the last 2 years they did not have the resources to develop a complete new engine for Type R. Maybe next gen will be a game changer but not this one.

3. Given the specs I am reluctant to believe it will sell like hotcakes. In US you have some nice saloons with around 300hp engines, cheap gas. Maybe better conditions to finance for those brands. I put myself the same question: what does this car offer better than other alternatives for 35-40k? Not so much that makes a difference in enjoyment during everyday use.
If reviews are not convincing I'll look for an FK2. For the right price 25k it will be a great car. Not for 35k as it was.

Last edited:

Evo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer Evolution
Country flag
Peak Horsepower numbers right at redline aren't anything. It's all about where it makes real power throughout the rev range and mostly about torque!

Honda website says Europe model shown us spec will differ.

Craziest stat to me is the 12 speaker 540 watt sound system!

Last edited:

Bigboss954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda cx-7
Honestly I don't Care for the type r just because I'm done with stick shift. But I do want them rims!! Mmmmmm Delicious

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
This might be bad news. Usually it changes ratio with speed. I checked this adaptive steering at Bmw, Porsche Cayman and in both cases it results in a overall altered feeling. You need longer time to get used to it. It's confusing compared to fixed ratio steering as you don't know how much the car will steer at a certain speed.
Why couldn't have they just provided a non-adaptive direct steering? This is not a soccer moms car.
For me steering is a deal breaker. If it won't offer a genuine direct feel I won't consider this car. No matter how much lateral and longitudinal acceleration is capable of.
Honda has been doing the mechanical variable steering ratio for quite a while, and it takes no getting used to it. The 8G Accord had it (with hydraulic power assist). Every 10G Civic has it (with dual pinion electric assist). The NSX has it (with adaptive dual pinion electric assist). When on center, the ratio is tuned for optimal high speed control and stability. Off center, the gear ratio becomes quicker for improved turn-in and maneuverability at low and mid speeds while minimizing the need for hand-over-hand steering.

Honda Civic 10th gen Officially Revealed: 2017 Honda Civic Type R with 306 hp / 295 lb-ft t970702c_8

The CTR's version will be adaptive because, like the NSX, it has different drive modes. This adapting does not affect the ratio, only the amount of power assist. In the NSX's more performance-oriented Sport+ and Track driving modes, steering assist is reduced based on vehicle speed and steering angle. This will likely be the case for the CTR's R mode, while Comfort mode may increase assist.

Fled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag

2. I'm waiting the reviews but from the initial specs it looks like a reheated soup to me. They took parts from FK2 type R and adapted them on Xth get hatch. I guess within the last 2 years they did not have the resources to develop a complete new engine for Type R. Maybe next gen will be a game changer but not this one.

3. Given the specs I am reluctant to believe it will sell like hotcakes. In US you have some nice saloons with around 300hp engines, cheap gas. Maybe better conditions to finance for those brands. I put myself the same question: what does this car offer better than other alternatives for 35-40k? Not so much that makes a difference in enjoyment during everyday use.
If reviews are not convincing I'll look for an FK2. For the right price 25k it will be a great car. Not for 35k as it was.
This is my thinking as well. Right now you can get sub-5k miles on the clock FK2's for 25K from Honda dealerships. If they are willing to sell extended warranty, its a no brainier. I dont think I can deal with the 20's either. Beautiful car tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.