Status
Not open for further replies.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
The weight discrepancy is huge. 2800 vs 3000 is a huge difference. Hopefully it's 2800, but that seems too good to be true for a car with over 300HP.
Sponsored

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I still don't think it'll come with real carbon fiber despite upclose images show that it may. If it were real carbon, why wouldn't Honda advertise that in their press release? I think it's using faux carbon fiber.
It better not be :rant:

asiandeity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Civic SI, 2017 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Kakinuma also said work had been done to improve the exhaust note. “A key weakness [on the former model] was a booming sound,” he said. “ We’ve paid attention to that aspect and improved it, especially at low and mid-speed range. We tuned the sound and it’s all natural.”

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
I still don't think it'll come with real carbon fiber despite upclose images show that it may. If it were real carbon, why wouldn't Honda advertise that in their press release? I think it's using faux carbon fiber.
Agreed. Looked fake when I saw it on prototype. Still looks same in video. No mention in PR. Lame if so.

OP
OP
administrator

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Updated first post with full official Honda press release and specifications chart.

Note:

• 2.0-liter i-VTEC® DI TURBO: 306 horsepower and 295 lb-ft. of torque

Last edited:

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
Updated first post with full official Honda press release and specifications chart.

Note:
  • 2.0-liter i-VTEC® DI TURBO: 306 horsepower and 295 lb-ft. of torque
Saw a statement somewhere that said this was due to US testing or something like that and that it is 10 more than the 9th gen, so I guess the 9th gen would have been rated 296 here.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
Yeah. Now I'm reading 35 lbs less than FK2 type R so that would be 3035 lbs. annoying conflicting info. And it is directly from Honda. I think the base Hatchback is just heavier than Google is quoting!! ;)
It's not conflicting info, it's just not spelled out clearly. As far as I understand, they are not talking about curb weight, they are talking about body weight. The unibody is the same one as used on the standard hatchback (obviously), but thanks to an increase in the use of high strength steel (from 12% to 14%) and an aluminum hood, the body weight drops 15lbs. Compared to the FK2 Type R, the body weight is 35lbs lighter. However, this tells us nothing about the final curb weight of the car.

Remember when the 10G Civic sedan was introduced? They announced that the unibody is 68lbs lighter than that of the 9G Civic sedan. However, depending on trim level and equipment, some versions have a lighter curb weight than the 9G and some have a heavier curb weight. So body weight does not give really give any indication of what the final curb weight will be.

With the increase in wheel size, brake rotors, number of speakers, multilink suspension... I think it may end up weighing more than the FK2, actually. I guess we'll see.

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The weight discrepancy is huge. 2800 vs 3000 is a huge difference. Hopefully it's 2800, but that seems too good to be true for a car with over 300HP.
I know. Honda website shows base hatch at 2815 lbs. Heaviest at 2895 lbs. But current Type R is 3047 or 3070 depending on where you look. I'm totally confused. The difference is like carrying around another good sized person all the time so it does make a difference. Please please be 2800 lbs... I won't make another peep about it only having 306 HP! :)

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's not conflicting info, it's just not spelled out clearly. As far as I understand, they are not talking about curb weight, they are talking about body weight. The unibody is the same one as used on the standard hatchback (obviously), but thanks to an increase in the use of high strength steel (from 12% to 14%) and an aluminum hood, the body weight drops 15lbs. Compared to the FK2 Type R, the body weight is 35lbs lighter. However, this tells us nothing about the final curb weight of the car.

Remember when the 10G Civic sedan was introduced? They announced that the unibody is 68lbs lighter than that of the 9G Civic sedan. However, depending on trim level and equipment, some versions have a lighter curb weight than the 9G and some have a heavier curb weight. So body weight does not give really give any indication of what the final curb weight will be.

With the increase in wheel size, brake rotors, number of speakers, multilink suspension... I think it may end up weighing more than the FK2, actually. I guess we'll see.
Damn. Somebody with a clear head pouring cold water on my dreams!!! Yeah. I think you've totally nailed it.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag

This makes the most sense so far. 540W audio and I'm assuming it comes with a sub like the Touring model will make this car heavy.

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think it's 316.

"Though the turbocharged, 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine is broadly the same as the outgoing car’s, an ECU tweak and a new exhaust mean power is up by 10bhp. This means totals of 316bhp and the same 295lb ft as the old car, putting it 10bhp ahead of the VW Golf R and 29bhp behind the lardier Ford Focus RS."

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show/blimey-its-new-honda-civic-type-r
It's 306 US and 316 UK. Same actual output, we just measure it differently. Sounds like it got a small bump over FK2.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Let's just hope the CTR doesn't weigh a lot more than the top of the line Sport Touring, which comes in at 3003lbs.

Off the top of my head, the CTR lacks the following from the Sport Touring, moonroof, CVT, leather heated seats.

The CTR adds bigger engine/turbo/coolers, wheels, aero, complex suspension.

Some weight savings include, lighter hood, lighter front control arms, and probably removal of a spare tire.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.