Status
Not open for further replies.

All-Knowing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NSX
Country flag
Honda is the #1 manufacturer of Internal Combustion Engines, so I imagine they have it nailed down. Instantly increase production? No. But they have been making the engines for the old TypeR for a while now, so it isn't new to them.
Engine components are nearly completely robotic so they can be made around the clock with minimal staff relative to vehicle assembly. Final assembly is probably a combination of machine and human assembly. I'd guess an assembler cranks out an engine every 20 minutes or so. Maybe? Hopefully someone can link us to How it's Made!

I'm sure for some of the individual components, yes it is a long process. But the actual act of 'final assembly' wouldn't really be more intense on a CTR than it is on a Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT.
I saw video a couple years back when Ohio Engine Plant started making the FK2 engine. Every 30 seconds or so one would come off the line!! Yes I think they have it nailed down!
Sponsored

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It has changed since I was in the Marysville plant(when they still built motorcycles there, around the VTX 1800 timeframe) They do have more robotics though... I believe only one line running, they can crank out 300-400 a shift.
engine assembly (different engine, but basics are the same)

Putting it all together(including marrying the engine and body)for MDX

OldPirate

Old Pirate
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Hyundia something like that....
All this on how long it takes to build and etc etc etc...
Honda Civic 10th gen Officially Revealed: 2017 Honda Civic Type R with 306 hp / 295 lb-ft {filename}

Again......

Last edited:

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
There was another member on here saying how the advancements in automation at the plant would allow us to have large numbers of the Type R... that kinda seems like bull shit if dealerships are saying 1,500 for the entire US market... that close to drunk turnip farmers building lotuses lazily lol

I'd hope the weight of Honda could at least have met "demand" for total pre-orders but I guess not...

Honda Civic 10th gen Officially Revealed: 2017 Honda Civic Type R with 306 hp / 295 lb-ft IMG_4777.JPG

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
[QUOTE="Banshee, post: 171155,... I believe only one line running, they can crank out 300-400 a shift.
QUOTE]

So the entire year's CTR engine production is complete in 1 week - 2 if they only run 1 shift? Wonder how long it takes to "fill the pipeline" to do that.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
[QUOTE="Banshee, post: 171155,... I believe only one line running, they can crank out 300-400 a shift.
QUOTE]

So the entire year's CTR engine production is complete in 1 week - 2 if they only run 1 shift? Wonder how long it takes to "fill the pipeline" to do that.
When I was there, they were running Acura's and Accord's on the same line. This was back in 2001-2003 timeframe.
Working the production line isn't for everyone. You put on the same part, for 2 hours. Then swap stations, so you don't get fatigue using the same muscle movements, hour after hour, day after day(I think this was to prevent carpal tunnel) You had to go piss, you would yell for the station supervisor. He/she would fill in until you got back. You only had so many minutes to be gone.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
There was another member on here saying how the advancements in automation at the plant would allow us to have large numbers of the Type R... that kinda seems like bull shit if dealerships are saying 1,500 for the entire US market... that close to drunk turnip farmers building lotuses lazily lol

I'd hope the weight of Honda could at least have met "demand" for total pre-orders but I guess not...

Honda Civic 10th gen Officially Revealed: 2017 Honda Civic Type R with 306 hp / 295 lb-ft {filename}
After a Honda Type-R meeting for dealers, one says 1500/year while another says 3600/year....I think someone may have misplaced the bulls**t. Since the two posters reporting these dealer communications are close to each other I'm assuming both dealers were at the same meeting.

Repeating a post from a different thread, the Swindon plant, by the end of 2017, will have the ability to produce 150,000 hatchbacks a year in any combination of hatchback variants. Honda could produce anywhere from 0 Type-Rs and 150,000 other variants to 150,000 Type-Rs and 0 other variants. Obviously Type-R yearly production will not be anywhere near 150,000/year. The mystery is what is the actual number that Honda has planned for the 2018 MY. It does not make business sense to go through the costs of a complete redesign, expand markets and then plan to sell very few vehicles. It will be interesting to observe Honda's actions over the next 6 to 9 months!

jdmk20akid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic w/ B18c5, 2016 Honda Accord EX w/ Honda Sensing
Country flag
After a Honda Type-R meeting for dealers, one says 1500/year while another says 3600/year....I think someone may have misplaced the bulls**t. Since the two posters reporting these dealer communications are close to each other I'm assuming both dealers were at the same meeting.

Repeating a post from a different thread, the Swindon plant, by the end of 2017, will have the ability to produce 150,000 hatchbacks a year in any combination of hatchback variants. Honda could produce anywhere from 0 Type-Rs and 150,000 other variants to 150,000 Type-Rs and 0 other variants. Obviously Type-R yearly production will not be anywhere near 150,000/year. The mystery is what is the actual number that Honda has planned for the 2018 MY. It does not make business sense to go through the costs of a complete redesign, expand markets and then plan to sell very few vehicles. It will be interesting to observe Honda's actions over the next 6 to 9 months!
The US will be getting 40,000 hatchback civic's total per year. I'd imagine that the TYPE R will be more exclusive than the SI which accounts for probably 8-9% of total civics produced. I'd say that the Civic Type R will account for 5% of all Civic Hatchbacks. Doing the math that makes it about 2,000 a year (which to me sounds about right) total Civic Type R's per year in the US. Even if it was 6% thats only 2400 CTR's.

Doing even scarier math means looking at the fact that there is roughly 1100 dealerships in the US. Each dealership can expect maybe one, or none. While higher volume dealerships that sell more civics than other will get 2 or 3.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
The US will be getting 40,000 hatchback civic's total per year. I'd imagine that the TYPE R will be more exclusive than the SI which accounts for probably 8-9% of total civics produced. I'd say that the Civic Type R will account for 5% of all Civic Hatchbacks. Doing the math that makes it about 2,000 a year (which to me sounds about right) total Civic Type R's per year in the US. Even if it was 6% thats only 2400 CTR's.
A better place to look at the numbers is with the Type-R competitors. One would expect the Type-R to compete against the Focus RS, Golf R and Subaru STI. You can Google figures for Ford and VW. Ford is averaging RS sales of 500/month and that number is increasing monthly. The Golf R is averaging 375/month. Unfortunately, Subaru combines WRX/STI figures so a separate STI total is not available. One would assume that Honda is also looking at these figures and wants to make money. Given those two facts, it is hard to imagine that the company is targeting 100 to 150 sales a month.

PS - The actual Honda forecast for hatchbacks in 2017 is 50,000 and that does NOT include the Type-R - http://wardsauto.com/industry/honda-calling-50000-civic-hatch-sales

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
A better place to look at the numbers is with the Type-R competitors. One would expect the Type-R to compete against the Focus RS, Golf R and Subaru STI. You can Google figures for Ford and VW. Ford is averaging RS sales of 500/month and that number is increasing monthly. The Golf R is averaging 375/month. Unfortunately, Subaru combines WRX/STI figures so a separate STI total is not available. One would assume that Honda is also looking at these figures and wants to make money. Given those two facts, it is hard to imagine that the company is targeting 100 to 150 sales a month.

PS - The actual Honda forecast for hatchbacks in 2017 is 50,000 and that does NOT include the Type-R - http://wardsauto.com/industry/honda-calling-50000-civic-hatch-sales
Exactly... we had Honda NA marketing exec telling us originally they would be producing enough CTR to keep up with demand. Clearly just by calling or walking into your dealerships there is at the least 1-3 CTR with deposits if they take deposits... not including the big dawg dealerships having much more interest.

This car isn't hand made. This car isn't even that fancy. It's a effin Honda Civic lol... No reason why Honda couldn't keep with the demand necessary to make it equal to its competitors.

All-Knowing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NSX
Country flag
Exactly... we had Honda NA marketing exec telling us originally they would be producing enough CTR to keep up with demand. Clearly just by calling or walking into your dealerships there is at the least 1-3 CTR with deposits if they take deposits... not including the big dawg dealerships having much more interest.

This car isn't hand made. This car isn't even that fancy. It's a effin Honda Civic lol... No reason why Honda couldn't keep with the demand necessary to make it equal to its competitors.
If people keep buying them, Honda will keep making them!!

jdmk20akid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic w/ B18c5, 2016 Honda Accord EX w/ Honda Sensing
Country flag

Honda has never really cared about making enough of their "performance" oriented vehicles to match the demand of competitors vehicles. I personally (keep in mind it's my personal opinion) don't believe looking at the production numbers of other vehicles has any bearing on how many of these Honda will produce. It's just not relevant. I do agree though that production can increase over time if the market dictates it that way. But once everyone that has wanted one of these has one the market for the Civic Type R will also get smaller and they will sell less. And that wouldn't prompt Honda to keep making a bunch. Only time will tell though.

pie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 R32 GTR, 2010 WRX STi, 2002 EP3 SiR
wow...that is not many at all. Limited isn't even the word.:eek: More than likely Canada will be even less:(
But.... We have way less dealerships...Goddammit why am I even second in line :banghead:. So what they're saying is it's not "limited", but good luck getting one. Jesus.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.