Official: 2018 Civic Type R unveiling at Geneva!!!

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
how soon after a car is announce does it take to get to dealerships?
Every car manufacturer is different, take the new Lexus LC 500 for example, the production version was shown last year at pebble beach, shown again at the Detroit Auto Show with pricing, suppose to go on sale May of this year.
Sponsored

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Geneva in March, NYAS in April...it should be there, for sure.
I was just about to start another speculative thread on this topic...hope we can get confirmation it will be in NY!

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also on this topic - some of the Google Alert returns are pretty much crap.

shutupish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic
Country flag
how soon after a car is announce does it take to get to dealerships?
Should b in dealers by june, ive talked to my dealership yesterday to let them know when ever they get one to contact me. He said he will but they're most likely getting 1-2 typeR at a time random colors/specs. He also said that honda will most likely tell them to hold typeR for about 2 months so people can see it. They've done the same with the pilot

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Should b in dealers by june, ive talked to my dealership yesterday to let them know when ever they get one to contact me. He said he will but they're most likely getting 1-2 typeR at a time random colors/specs. He also said that honda will most likely tell them to hold typeR for about 2 months so people can see it. They've done the same with the pilot
Lmao 2 months? You guys that put down deposits better hope your dealer doesn't let nobody test drive it when it's being delivered.

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
I was just about to start another speculative thread on this topic...hope we can get confirmation it will be in NY!
Since the NYIAS is the next American auto show coming up, it would make sense they would make a debut there too, like they did last year at SEMA.

Last edited:

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Since the NYIAS is the next American auto show coming up, it would make sense they would make a debut there too, like they did last year at SEMA.
Agreed - and after NYIAS, I don't know if there is another big manufacturers show in the US. I feel like it's the NOPI or TunerEvolution shows until SEMA in November. It pretty much has to be at NYIAS unless they just don't do a show and let them show up one day... which I highly doubt will happen.
As far as people who 'care' go, this is the biggest thing for Honda since the S2000 and maybe since the Acura brand got started!

AP2SLOW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (Daily). 2006 NFR S2000 (Weekend Racer). 1992 Integra (SOLD). 2005 RSX Type-S (SOLD). 2002 Civic (SOLD)
I can't imagine that they would go for 41k base price, that's basically pricing themselves out of the market and a foolish idea. You sure your dealer wasn't just talking up the price to get you ready for that sweet, sweet ADM? A fully maxed RS with AWD and a 2.3L is 41,370... Also no options? Seems a bit outlandish. Every car has options, even if it is just cosmetic or additions like door guards. I'm fully expecting a base/GT setup just like the 9th gen. (Similar to the RS's RS2 package)

Also maybe it's just me, but it seems like the sales managers have about as much info as we do, so I doubt they know already...

Then again maybe they weren't just spitballing and that's whatever information they have at the moment, who knows until March!
That's just what he told me. I went to ask him if he knew anything about the Si as I plan on buying one. So I didn't really ask him about the Type-R. But he told me he knew that much about the Type-R and hasn't been told anything about the Si (very frustrating).

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
The Civic Type R coming out this year is reportedly supposed to have 320hp. Just saw this.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Civic Type R coming out this year is reportedly supposed to have 320hp. Just saw this.
I saw a click-bait-ish article that said the same. It also said the car would get a CVT option, so not sure how factual this is.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I saw a click-bait-ish article that said the same. It also said the car would get a CVT option, so not sure how factual this is.
I know there won't be a cvt automatic. It will stay a 6 speed manual. But yeah maybe you are right. The wait is starting to get to me lol. And I've been telling others to just wait lol. Ugh :rolleyes:

Last edited:

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I know there won't be a cvt automatic. It will stay a 6 speed manual. But yeah maybe you are right. The wait is starting to get to me lol. And I've been telling other to just wait. Ugh :rolleyes:
I was going to make a posting up here about the clickbaits to try to 'save' us all from giving them clicks... one of them went as far as to say, quite specifically, 'the new model would wear Piano black wheels and have a grained-look finish.' I was like - NEXT!

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
Hi everybody,
I am as eager as you to see this 10'th gen Civic type R. I am browsing the forum daily. :) Thinking also of going to Geneva but I'm not very decided.
I drive a Bmw 420D as daily driver for the moment but I am looking for something having more sport capabilities. I am not stuck on a particular brand.
Last year I did a test drive with the Euro Type R hatch FK2. Overall nice capable car, loved the instruments cluster, racing ambiance, 34.000 euros ok price but... Seating position was too high for my tastes, I prefer a sporty lower one like in the Bmw. Access (out) was a bit difficult without rubbing the tall seat bolsters every time. Steering was quite vague in feeling(Bmw EPS is not a reference but still gives a better feel). Apparent minor things were a deal breaker.
Now for this one I'm waiting to come out, see reviews especially from owners. For this amount of money (close to 35-40k) I do have some expectations. I want a car more pleasant to drive than what I have. I don't care much if it will break the 'Ring record again. I do not plan to track it too soon and going over 150 km/h on Autobahn is rather boring. I want sport ambiance, fantastic road feel, things that make me enjoy the time spent in it. I need to test it before deciding. Taking it a few hours, highway, national, city.

I read the stories about North American car purchases (mark-ups, car quotas per dealership, having to buy from stock). Here in Europe is different. I do not know about ultra limited/exotics(200k+ cars) but for normal cars you can buy whatever you want even below MSRP (5-20% is not uncommon also for premium brands). Once entered through the dealership's door you get usually the model you look for. Also getting a test car for couple hours/day/wend is usual practice(esp premium brands).

Supposedly there will not be any Type R left for me, it's fine. There are/will be plenty of alternatives (at least here). Upcoming ST, Renault Megane RS, Renault Alpine, 718 Cayman, Mustang Eco/GT. Although not that hardcore, Bmw cars can give more satisfaction than the average sedan when specked right. If Honda doesn't want to take the money then they'll go to other manufacturer. There will be better opportunities for us purists/enthusiasts for quite some time to come(niche is still big enough), I would not worry. Rather time works in my favor as a buyer, perhaps I'll afford to stretch more my budget as time passes. I'll just wait.

Last edited:

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
Hi everybody,
I am as eager as you to see this 10'th gen Civic type R. I am browsing the forum daily. :) Thinking also of going to Geneva but I'm not very decided.
I drive a Bmw 420D as daily driver for the moment but I am looking for something having more sport capabilities. I am not a fan of a particular brand.
Last year I did a test drive with the Euro Type R hatch FK2. Overall nice capable car, loved the instruments cluster, racing ambiance, 34.000 euros ok price but... Seating position was too high for my tastes, I prefer a sporty lower one like in the Bmw. Access (out) was a bit difficult without rubbing the tall seat bolsters every time. Steering was quite vague in feeling(Bmw EPS is not a reference but still gives a better feel). Apparent minor things were a deal breaker.
Now for this one I'm waiting to come out, see reviews especially from owners. For this amount of money (close to 35-40k) I do have some expectations. I want a car more pleasant to drive than what I have. I don't care much if it will break the 'Ring record again. I do not plan to track it too soon and going over 150 km/h on Autobahn is rather boring. I want sport ambiance, fantastic road feel, things that make me enjoy the time spent in it. I need to test it before deciding. Taking it a few hours, highway, national, city.

I read the stories about North American car purchases (mark-ups, car quotas per dealership, having to buy from stock). Here in Europe is different. I do not know about ultra limited/exotics(200k+ cars) but for normal cars you can buy whatever you want even below MSRP (5-20% is not uncommon also for premium brands). Once entered through the dealership's door you get usually the model you look for. Also getting a test car for couple hours/day/wend is usual practice(esp premium brands).

Supposedly there will not be any Type R left for me, it's fine. There are/will be plenty of alternatives (at least here). Upcoming ST, Renault Megane RS, Renault Alpine, 718 Cayman, Mustang Eco/GT. Although not that hardcore, Bmw cars can give more satisfaction than the average sedan when specked right. If Honda doesn't want to take the money then they'll go to other manufacturer. There will be better opportunities for us purists/enthusiasts for quite some time to come(niche is still big enough), I would not worry. Rather time works in my favor as a buyer, perhaps I'll afford to stretch more my budget as time passes. I'll just wait.
Welcome!

Funny you are not a fan of a particular brand, and yet, your name is "HondaFan2017"! ;);)

I think in Japan, it works similarly to Europe. The dealers have demo cars so consumers do not have to depend on what's on the lot, and the dealers are not pressured to sell what's on the lot. You walk in, you see the demo car/drive it, and then order exactly what you want with the accessories you want. North America's surface area is just too big for every single dealer to have a demo car. It would be so nice if our time with a new car isn't limited to 10-20 minutes while the salesperson in the car watches you drive on unfamiliar roads.
Sponsored