Official: 2018 Civic Type R unveiling at Geneva!!!

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
Years of arguing about the Type R specs are finally coming to an end with this unavailing. Looking forward to it. Lets see if this car can live up to the hype and be reasonably priced for us Canadians (wont be lol).
Sponsored

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
That would be cool if all 3 cars were there, the CTR and Civic Si coupe and sedan...
Heck yeah! I mean I can't think of how else they would show it to us-I don't know if any other big-time shows after NY.

OP
OP

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
It's funny that your sources are telling you exactly what i've been told, and yet you stated in the other thread that since you're so well informed about trends/flipping cars that anyone who has put money down to 'get in line' or 'secured a car' have just been "...taken advantage of."

So are you buying one? Do you have some way of securing one without putting some skin in the game? Tell us your secrets!
The difference between those who have info about 'buying a car' and those who have info regarding components of the car and when they will be at the dealer is that one is for purchase and one is for the supply chain. I wouldn't buy anything or put any sort of money down on a vehicle that isn't a vehicle for purchase. At this point in time, the R is still a prototype.

A salesman for ANY product where they accept money on a product that isn't a product to purchase yet is clearly taking advantage of the buyer. Or let me put my thought to you this way....until you can get a build sheet or confirmation for exactly what you agree to buy, I feel you are being taken advantage of. As I have also said, if that is your cup of tea, good on you. I've simply stated my opinion based on a decade and a half of experience.

Am I buying one? Yes, in due time. I will not be the first to buy one, however.
Do I have a way to put some skin the game? Yes, I simply have a relationship with my dealer. He knows I am a buyer but knows I play a hard game when it comes to buying. When you support your dealer, your dealer supports you.

Rushing to buy a vehicle will cost you a lot of money. I think there are a lot of Focus RS owners who will tell you the same.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I'm right across the river and will be there if I have to swim across, lol
Lolz. I'm taking a train in from Harrisburg! #Dedication. haha!

InitialDougie

1st PMM CTR delivery & only 2017 Sold @ MSRP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, RSX Type S, CTR
Country flag
The difference between those who have info about 'buying a car' and those who have info regarding components of the car and when they will be at the dealer is that one is for purchase and one is for the supply chain. I wouldn't buy anything or put any sort of money down on a vehicle that isn't a vehicle for purchase. At this point in time, the R is still a prototype.

A salesman for ANY product where they accept money on a product that isn't a product to purchase yet is clearly taking advantage of the buyer. Or let me put my thought to you this way....until you can get a build sheet or confirmation for exactly what you agree to buy, I feel you are being taken advantage of. As I have also said, if that is your cup of tea, good on you. I've simply stated my opinion based on a decade and a half of experience.

Do I have a way to put some skin the game? Yes, I simply have a relationship with my dealer. He knows I am a buyer but knows I play a hard game when it comes to buying. When you support your dealer, your dealer supports you.

Rushing to buy a vehicle will cost you a lot of money. I think there are a lot of Focus RS owners who will tell you the same.
Some of this is interesting, but ultimately hinges on your personal opinion of the value of a dollar.

"The R is still a prototype..." Honda is making this car, it's coming and everyone knows it, it is a Japanese commitment - very strong.

Now, how well the R will sell or how long it is going to be around are the questions that you apply your logic and sales experience too. And for all your history and experience it boils down to this, you are taking a bet, you're a gambler.

So, it's possible that you might not have the chance to own one.

But then again you may get one for below MSRP because you know someone - not everyone has that opportunity, but it hardly makes them foolish or uniformed.

The difference here is this, I know I have the opportunity to buy one of the first Type Rs in the USA. And I can tell you that my money will be just fine.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I know how you feel about all this, JYR, as you have stated it clearly several times and I can respect your thoughts 100%. That being said, I can only vouch for my dealer and my situation, but I think you may have misrepresented it a bit. I gave my dealer a $500 check that is only being held, not deposited, that gives me first right of refusal. If I like the car when it arrives then I have the first option to purchase. If not, I take my check and skip home. I have in writing that they will sell the car at MSRP which seems fair to me for this car, in this situation. Does that guarantee that they will keep their word? No, but I know my dealer very well also and trust them. Is it possible that if you wait a year or more that you MIGHT get it for below MSRP? Sure. If that means that I have to wait another year (or more) and take the chance of not getting one, then I'm not willing to take that chance. Technically, you are correct, it is still a prototype, but I guarantee that the production version is being assmebled right now and we know quite a bit about the car and AT LEAST what the specs will be.

It WILL be a CTR hatch with a 2.0L turbo engine with at least 306HP & 295TQ. It will have an independent rear suspension, adaptive dampers at each corner, Brembo brakes, Recaro seats, a brilliant MT, big ass wheels with sticky Conti rubber, crazy aero and we have a damn good idea what it will look like. This is all the information I need to be first in line to have the OPTION to buy. No salesman has taken advantage of me, but I understand where you are coming from.

I have no problem admitting that I am pretty excited about this car at 42 years young. I have been waiting for a CTR my entire adult life. The fact that it happens to be a hatch with forced induction, a factory warranty and Honda reliability is really all I need to know. And the funny thing is, I don't even really have any skin in the game either. I'm letting my dealer hold a $500 check to get first dibs at my dream car. If it means that I'm being taken advantage of to agree to pay MSRP, then I'm okay with that. I paid MSRP from the same dealer for the first '06 Si off the truck too. Same dealer sold me my new '14 Accord for $28,000 when the sticker said $32+k, so I'm cool with MSRP for a car that I REALLY want.

To each their own, gentlemen! 'Murica.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is my useless speculation to add to the pile. I wouldn't be shocked if the CTR is on dealer lots in April/May. Here is what I am basing that on:

Production model being unveiled first week of March.
We know the US gets it first.
Production of 9th gen Euro CTR has been finished for weeks.
UK site indicates production for Europe begins this "Summer" possibly meaning May or June to be released in Sept.

If they are starting Euro production this Summer, then I assume that means they have completed production of the first US allocations at this time and they are at least in route.

I'm not counting on pre-allocation arriving in April/May, but all of the information out there leads me to beleive it is a possibility. Not that a month or two really makes much of a difference, but I'll take it in April!

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Of course it was only available as 1 model. It is still a prototype. Post up your build sheet, please.
Ya well I didn't know before this too if there was just going to be the 1 model. No build sheets will be shared.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
@JYR,

Some of your points are valid, however the Focus RS comparison isn't that great of one. The CTR will be a more limited production. Fewer units will trickle to fewer dealers making them and ADM all he more common.

I put my deposit down over 8 months ago before the prototype even debuted.

How can you say, "your an idiot for doing that..." blah blah blah no specs have been released.

I solely based my decision on what I saw in the last Gen CTR which I really wanted (I also think it looks better than the new one) full expecting Honda to create a new better version of the then current car.

Some of us don't value money as much as the greatest commodity a human being has...

Time.

Yup I will be getting one of the first ones for MSRP so I am happy.

Who knows maybe it will be a lemon, but I highly doubt it.

Maybe I will sell it a year down the road to you for 1k off MSRP and 10k miles if your still looking for one.
:drive:
:dance:

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
@Eddie

Hey be careful on the swim it's pretty cold out. Maybe you could walk across the river?

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All this bickering and opinions seems to be based on everyone thinking the car will be available like any other car...

I work for Rick Case Honda in South Florida, look it up and you'll see that we are one of the largest in the country out of about 1040 Honda dealerships... If rumors are true, we are expected to MAYBE get 2-3 for the YEAR!!! And most dealerships won't even get one... I have a very good relationship with my GM and he can't even promise that I'll even be able to get one let alone the price...

I'm really hoping that Honda will announce production numbers/plans at Geneva... That will determine how hard this car will be to get...

We all will have to wait and see...
Sponsored