"off-the-truck" -- how long will that option last?

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Does anyone know, or can anyone project based on the recent releases, for how much longer will deliveries of "fresh" Si's continue? Would I still be able to order a car and get it with, let's say, less than 5 mi on the odometer 2 months from now? 3, 4, ...?

(Sorry if it's been asked/answered before)

TIA!
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think 4 months is unreasonable.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I'm not sure I understand the question. New vehicles are in transit from factories to dealers around the clock. Most dealers get weekly delivery - sometimes multiples deliveries per week. Sometimes during business hours and sometimes after hours where the transport truck just offloads them into a designated area where they are found when the dealer opens the next day.

I believe you might be concerned that once supply and demand stabilize, most dealers will have at least one to a few Si in stock at all times which will almost certainly gain a few miles during test drives. If you want a factory-fresh vehicle, a dealer will be happy to reserve the next one that comes in for you, BUT... 1) You might have to wait anywhere from a few weeks to a few months (if ever) for that particular vehicle to come up again in the dealer's allocation (whether factory or requested) and 2) dealers prefer to sell what they have in stock for a number of reasons so you're less likely to negotiate as low of a price if you don't what is in stock.

OP
OP
dmitri

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I'm not sure I understand the question. [...] I believe you might be concerned that once supply and demand stabilize, most dealers will have at least one to a few Si in stock at all times which will almost certainly gain a few miles during test drives.
Right. Basically what I was trying to find out was when the factory will stop making/shipping the new ones to dealerships.

You might have to wait anywhere from a few weeks to a few months (if ever) for that particular vehicle to come up again in the dealer's allocation (whether factory or requested)
Yeah. The last car I bought (the TSX, back in Jan 2004) -- I wanted a black one, and they didn't have it and I was told they could order it, but that would take about 4 months, so I went for the white one they had. (I realize they may have been exaggerating, so that I'd buy one from them on the spot, of course.)
My question is more about the "(if ever)" part. Is it possible to know what that "final date" actually is?

Personally, since I will/must get one by beginning of August at the latest, I'm sure I'll have enough time to get a "fresh" one -- but just thought I'd ask, as I'm curious. Plus, ya know, gotta do something to pass time in the calm before the storm... :)

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Basically what I was trying to find out was when the factory will stop making/shipping the new ones to dealerships.
Never - unless Honda discontinues the Si.

My question is more about the "(if ever)" part. Is it possible to know what that "final date" actually is?

Personally, since I will/must get one by beginning of August at the latest, I'm sure I'll have enough time to get a "fresh" one -- but just thought I'd ask, as I'm curious. Plus, ya know, gotta do something to pass time in the calm before the storm... :)
"Final date" for what - production of the 2017 Si or the Si in general?

Honda doesn't make a one-time production run of Si then just stop. For the purpose of this discussion, the 2017 Si will be continuously manufactured until the last day of the current model year. The next day they'll continue manufacturing Si, but it will be a 2018 model year. You'll be able to get a "fresh" Si as long as the vehicle is still in production if you wait long enough. They'll continuously adjust production to ensure that each dealer has the desired stock level. The only time production will stop permanently is if/when the Si is discontinued altogether.

OP
OP
dmitri

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Never - unless Honda discontinues the Si.
Well, at some point they're gonna stop making the 2017 model, right? :)

"Final date" for what - production of the 2017 Si or the Si in general?

2017 Si will be continuously manufactured until the last day of the current model year. The next day they'll continue manufacturing Si, but it will be a 2018 model year.
"The next day", are you absolutely sure? There seems to be a noticeable gap between model year production schedules.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, at some point they're gonna stop making the 2017 model, right? :)

"The next day", are you absolutely sure? There seems to be a noticeable gap between model year production schedules.
Now, I'm finally understanding your questions better!

If there are no differences between one model year and the next that require significant changes to assembly procedures or tooling then it's entirely possible for the plant to make their last 2017 one evening and their first 2018 the next morning. Even during full model changes, you'll often have another line or plant preparing for the new model to minimize the production gap from one year model to the next.

Example: The last 2015 Civic was produced in September 2015. The first 2016 Civic was produced in October 2015. The gap between this full model change was only a matter of weeks.

The only time you'll normally find longer gaps is when a vehicle goes on a planned or unplanned hiatus. Example: The 2014 Ridgeline production stopped in September 2014. The 2017 Ridgeline production began May 2016. The gap between this full model change was almost two years! That was a long wait for Ridgeline enthusiasts! Honda had planned to keep the first-generation Ridgeline in production until the new model arrived, but it was already long in the tooth, sales were dwindling, and the new model was delayed - all factors prompting Honda to end production early resulting in a lengthy gap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dmitri

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Thanks guys! It's really a non-issue then, I guess...
Sponsored