OP
elvisfan48640

elvisfan48640

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm wondering how much open space is under the headliner between the console and the sunroof. Would it be possible to install the whole console from an Accord which includes the sunglasses holder? It's a nice feature, but obviously some headliner trimming would need to happen.
In my estimation, there is not enough space...I don't think it is deep enough, but you're welcome to give it a try.
Sponsored

cmanman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@elvisfan48640 Excellent write up..on point and informative. Completed the install on a 2017 Hatch EX. Bevel from a 2011 Odyssey snapped right into place into the 2017 console. Plasti-dipped the light gray Odyssey bezel to match black interior. Also used Posi-tap connections instead of cutting wire. Super satisfied with final results. Thanks again for posting!
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM HomeLink Install IMAG1271

OP
OP
elvisfan48640

elvisfan48640

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
@elvisfan48640 Excellent write up..on point and informative. Completed the install on a 2017 Hatch EX. Bevel from a 2011 Odyssey snapped right into place into the 2017 console. Plasti-dipped the light gray Odyssey bezel to match black interior. Also used Posi-tap connections instead of cutting wire. Super satisfied with final results. Thanks again for posting!
IMAG1271.jpg
You're welcome. Congrats on your install. It looks great!

MikeJXWT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Honda Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic EX 5-Dr Hatchback, 1994 Chevy Silverado Full-Size Std Cabin, 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Full-Size Quad Cabin, 2004 Toyota Tacoma Std 2-Dr Pick-up, 2017 Toyota Corolla LE, 2017 Nissan Fronteir S King Cab
Country flag
[Strike]Thanks for the awesome post. Question though, how would one identify which pin is which with a Multimeter via Ohms?

If it helps the M# of my Homelink is:
(S)F232TUEC[\Strike]

Nevermind I managed to find out how to check it using my Multimeter.

Last edited:

MikeJXWT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Honda Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic EX 5-Dr Hatchback, 1994 Chevy Silverado Full-Size Std Cabin, 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Full-Size Quad Cabin, 2004 Toyota Tacoma Std 2-Dr Pick-up, 2017 Toyota Corolla LE, 2017 Nissan Fronteir S King Cab
Country flag
Please explain, I don't know how to use a multimeter :(
Unfortunately I'm at the Courthouse reporting for Jury Duty... When I get home I'll give you some tips. Check this post later for an update unless someone beats me to it.

sniper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
Unfortunately I'm at the Courthouse reporting for Jury Duty... When I get home I'll give you some tips. Check this post later for an update unless someone beats me to it.
No rush, I'll be getting my module on the 29th :) Driving down to Niagara.

MikeJXWT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No rush, I'll be getting my module on the 29th :) Driving down to Niagara.
Please explain, I don't know how to use a multimeter
Get your Multimeter and put it on mV for Milivolts(?) and once you have the Overhead Console off use elvisfan's guide for a reference for which wires to check.

Take your Multimeter and put the red/positive probe on the wires that you're trying to identify. And the black/negative probe on ground. (Bare piece of metal)

*DO NOT assume that the wiring will always be the same
Use this only as a reference in finding the correct wires to tap/splice into.

*Again, make sure to refer to elvisfan's guide.

Before you start, begin with the car off and headlights off.
*NOTE: When Tapping/Splicing into the wires you've identified. Make sure to disconnect the battery. Not doing so may result in blowing fuse(s) and or damaging electronic components. If you do not feel confident in trying then DO NOT proceed. Instead, seek a professional. Do not hold me responsible as wiring harnesses can be different on certain occasions. Try this at your own discretion.

- Red Wire for +12v Constant (I used the red wire from the small 2-pin Wiring Harness for the
Overhead Console Map Lights)

Put the Black/Negative Probe on Ground and the Red/Positive Probe on the wire terminal where the wire connects into the Wiring Harness. Find a wire that has a constant +12volts without the vehicle being on ACC/ON Mode or headlights being on.
*As elvisfan mentioned, if you want the Homelink to ONLY WORK when the car is Started or put into ACC/ON Mode then look for a +12v that turns on only when the car is in ACC/ON Mode.

- Black Wire for ground (I used the black wire from the small 2-pin Wiring Harness for the Overhead Console Map Lights)
Take your Multimeter and put it on the "Ohms(Ω)" Setting, if yours doesn't say Ohms, look for an upside-down Horseshoe-like symbol(Ω). Put the Black/Negative Probe on Ground and check the wires with the Postive/Red Probe and keep checking until the Ohms reading gives you a reading oh 1/2 Ohms or less (0.5Ω-0Ω). On cars it is normally the black wire.

- Blue Wire for the Button Illumination (I used the Blue Wire from the big Wiring Harness that attaches behind where the Sun Roof Button is on the Overhead Console)

*I forget how to find the Variable Dimming Wire but I believe you Put the Multimeter on mV. Put the Black/Negative Probe on ground and use the Red/Positive Probe and check for a wire that will change between 12volts-0volts as you Dim the lights via the Trip A/B Button (by spinning the rod left and right) Try this at your own discretion. Mine was the Blue Wire mention in parenthesis.

- Gray Wire for Switched +12v (I used the Gray Wire from the big Wiring Harness that attaches behind where the Sun Roof Button is on the Overhead Console)

[*Note: There are two kinds of Switched +12volt wires. +12v when the Headlight is turned on and +12v when the Vehicle is put into ACC/ACC II/ON Mode.] Put the Multimeter on mV. Put the Black/Negative Probe on Ground and take the Red/Positive Probe and check for a wire that shows +12volts when the Headlights are turned on.

Step 9.

The wiring for the HomeLink module I installed is as follows;

Pin 1: Variable ground for the button illumination (dimming feature)
Pin 2: Ground
Pin 3: Not used
Pin 4: +12v for the button illumination (headlight switch controlled)
Pin 5: +12v (constant)

If you're still unsure on using the Multimeter than check YouTube first for some How To videos on using them. If you don't quite understand my explanation then try giving the following link a read. It is a guide that I used when I installed my Viper Alarm System into my Old 2002 Honda Civic.

http://www.carstereochick.com/2011/10/15/stock-stereo-harness-cut-no-problem/

Again, when you begin splicing/soldering/tapping into wires, make sure the battery is disconnected. If you don't you may pop some fuses and/or damage electronic equipment. Personally, if I cannot solder a wire or be able to make a good hook knot when splicing, I'd much rather use a wire tap. Since they were especially thin wires, I used taps similar to the following link and secured it with quality Electrical Tape.

http://www.frys.com/product/6476582?source=google&gclid=CIGP4vPx2dECFdW4wAod_xYLDQ

As elvisfan mentions, if you can get the 5-pin Wiring Harness from where you buy the Overhead Console from the easier things will be. The wiring will be more secure too. If you go with the Dupont/Motherboard Jumper Terminal Wires that elvisfan mentions just make sure to give a bit of extra slack and gently lean the wires towards the front of the car. Becareful when re-fastening the Overhead Console into it's compartment and make sure that the Homelink still functions properly before putting the screws and Map Light Lenses back into place. The Dupont wires will work but aren't a perfect snug fit, a little too much bend and some of the female terminals will come loose.

Last edited:

cmanman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any recommendations on how to splice the wires?
@sniper another option to @MikeJXWT suggestion for tapping are Posi-Tap connectors, though pricier.
https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html

As elvisfan48640 and mikejxwt have suggested, wiring in the OEM connector for the homelink module makes for an ultra convenient install.

Also here are wiring schematics for moonroof/maplight connectors (for 2017 Hatchback EX) that may help confirm your multi-meter readings.
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM HomeLink Install Moonroof

The maplight schematic is straightforward (red=positive, black=ground):
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM HomeLink Install Maplight

sniper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
Last edited:

RayD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan - Touring
Country flag

cmanman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the details! Where did you get the diagrams?

I ordered this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017FT5G2A and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7SDDLU, no harness for the ebay listing I bought :( But it was only $55 http://www.ebay.com/itm/192063590021

I'm contemplating to cut the headliner so I can use the sunglasses holder, thoughts?
@sniper the wiring diagrams are from Service Express access on the Honda Independent Repair website (techinfo.honda.com). I paid the $10 for a 1 day subscription which was money well spent for me since I am electrically challenged! And I'm with elvisfan48640 in that space is limited and using the console with sunglass holder would be a tight fit. AH Parts Dismantlers is showing a 2010 Honda Pilot sunroof harness available for $30, which as far as I can tell would include the homelink OEM connector. Obviously if you opted for this route you would have to do your due diligence to ensure the vehicle included homelink based on the VIN. Pics from AH Parts shows the correct console and bezel from the 2010 Pilot.

sniper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
@sniper the wiring diagrams are from Service Express access on the Honda Independent Repair website (techinfo.honda.com). I paid the $10 for a 1 day subscription which was money well spent for me since I am electrically challenged! And I'm with elvisfan48640 in that space is limited and using the console with sunglass holder would be a tight fit. AH Parts Dismantlers is showing a 2010 Honda Pilot sunroof harness available for $30, which as far as I can tell would include the homelink OEM connector. Obviously if you opted for this route you would have to do your due diligence to ensure the vehicle included homelink based on the VIN. Pics from AH Parts shows the correct console and bezel from the 2010 Pilot.
Maybe I should buy the access to figure out how to dismantle my side mirrors. I want to do http://www.civicx.com/threads/side-mirror-puddle-lights.5370/ and bought the lights already.

Thanks for the info, unfortunately, I already bought the whole assembly from eBay and it's waiting for me to pickup in Niagara Falls, no wiring harness though :( I'll def look at AH Parts in the future if I need anything else.
Sponsored