OEM HomeLink Install

elvisfan48640

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Step 1.

Acquire the oem Homelink module and bezel. This can be done by purchasing the overhead console from a Pilot, Odyssey, or Accord at a local salvage yard or on eBay. Prices seem to run from $45 to $125. You can also purchase the item directly from your local dealer for around $275. (Not worth doing at that price to most of us.) Here are pics of the unit I purchased for $75 at my local salvage yard. It was removed from a 2013 Odyssey. The color code is NH556L.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM HomeLink Install Console
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM HomeLink Install Capture2

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM HomeLink Install 20160717_144040~2

The install will be easier and cleaner if the wire connector for the HomeLink module is included with the unit. Ask for it, even if it is not pictured. If it isn't included, you will need to build your own connector, or purchase wires like these to do the install;

https://www.amazon.com/SORCO-female...4496&sr=1-35&keywords=dupont+pin+jumper+wires

Step 2.

Remove the overhead console from the Civic using the following steps;
1) remove the two map light lenses
2) remove the two screws located on either side of the front of the unit
3) gently pull down the front of the unit and then slide it slightly forward to clear the two tabs holding the rear
4) disconnect the wiring harness connectors

Step 3.

Remove the HomeLink and microphone modules from the purchased console by removing the two screws holding each module. The screws will be re-used so do not discard them.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM HomeLink Install Capture2

Step 4.

Remove the bezel from the purchased console by gently pressing on the tabs shown in the photo below. The number of tabs and their location may vary depending on the console purchased. The Odyssey has five.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM HomeLink Install 20160721_190842~2

Step 5.

Reinstall the HomeLink module to the bezel using the existing screws. Do not reinstall the microphone module. You will use the one from your Civic.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM HomeLink Install 20160717_143940~2

Step 6.

Remove the microphone module from the Civic console and install it onto the bezel beside the HomeLink module.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM HomeLink Install SavedImage_20160721_191428_01~2

Step 7.

Remove the bezel from the Civic console. The same process as Step 4 except the Civic bezel has six tabs.

Step 8.

Insert the assembled bezel into the opening of the Civic console and check the tabs for proper alignment. Tab #1 of the Odyssey bezel shown below, did not align with the Civic console, so I had to remove some material from the Civic console using a dremel tool so that all the tabs snapped into place. You may or may not have to do this.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM HomeLink Install 20160717_142912~2

Step 9.

The wiring for the HomeLink module I installed is as follows;

Pin 1: Variable ground for the button illumination (dimming feature)
Pin 2: Ground
Pin 3: Not used
Pin 4: +12v for the button illumination (headlight switch controlled)
Pin 5: +12v (constant)

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM HomeLink Install Pin Layout

**NOTE** - You should not assume the module you purchase will have this same pin layout. Please determine the pin layout of your particular module using an ohms meter.

There are other wiring variations that could be used besides the factory method. Here are a few examples;

A) If you don't care whether or not the buttons illuminate...you only need to wire up pins 2 and 5.
B) If you only want HomeLink to function when the "key" is on...you can wire pin 5 to an ignition controlled +12v.
C) If you want the button illumination but don't care if its intensity can be adjusted...you can wire pin 1 to ground.

The choice is obviously up to the installer. Just probe the harness with a voltmeter until you locate the wires that will produce the desired affect.

I chose the factory method and used the +12v running to the map lights for Pins 2 & 5, and used the sunroof switch for the illumination. Pin 4 to the gray wire and Pin 1 to the blue wire. Remember to disconnect the battery before attempting to splice or solder the wires.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM HomeLink Install 20160806_122052~2

Step 10.

Once you have completed the wiring, test the unit to ensure it is receiving power and the illumination is operating as desired....then program the unit.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM HomeLink Install 20160712_164718~2

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM HomeLink Install 20160712_164542~2

Step 11.

Reinstall the console and open a beer to celebrate your accomplishment!

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM HomeLink Install 20160712_164639~2

View attachment 15425

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Are you sure the overhead console will fit considering Pilot and Odyssey may have a sunglass container with conversation mirror when our vehicles don't have it? Also, if I do the install I don't want redundant buttons for power tailgate or sliding doors in the console so which one should I use?

vincelatz

Vince L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T w/Sensing Metallic Steel/Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are you sure the overhead console will fit considering Pilot and Odyssey may have a sunglass container with conversation mirror when our vehicles don't have it? Also, if I do the install I don't want redundant buttons for power tailgate or sliding doors in the console so which one should I use?
You're not replacing the entire Civic console with the Odyssey one....you're only using the Homelink part in the console you bought and putting it into the existing space in the Civic console!

OP
OP
elvisfan48640

elvisfan48640

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
deleted

Last edited:

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
hmm, can we wire the power so it activates with the switch instead of always on? I didn't like that on the Ridgeline, someone could break in my window, then push the button and open the door....in my Mercedes, the key had to be on, so if they busted the window, the opener wouldn't work.

Thanks for the write up!

Peekeesh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru STi, Odyssey
subscribed. Thanks for taking the time to write these instructions.

OP
OP
elvisfan48640

elvisfan48640

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You're not swapping the entire console...only the microphone bezel with one that contains the Homelink unit as well. Unfortunately, in most cases you have to buy the entire console in order to get the parts you'll need.

OP
OP
elvisfan48640

elvisfan48640

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
hmm, can we wire the power so it activates with the switch instead of always on? I didn't like that on the Ridgeline, someone could break in my window, then push the button and open the door....in my Mercedes, the key had to be on, so if they busted the window, the opener wouldn't work.

Thanks for the write up!
The write up is not yet complete. I will cover the wiring options in the post.
The write up is now complete...minus a few of the photos. Hopefully I'll be able to add those soon.

Last edited:

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Found a parts diagram. If you insist on buying new you can just buy the homelink assembly if you like: Part #12. #14 is the microphone but I'm not sure if you need it? #15 is the microphone only assembly for lower models.
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM HomeLink Install Capture.PNG
To elvisfan48640. Can we go more indepth into the wiring and what you did to make it work?

Last edited:

OP
OP
elvisfan48640

elvisfan48640

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All photos have now been posted.

OP
OP
elvisfan48640

elvisfan48640

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Added a video of how to program the HomeLink unit.

jkm2730

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
elvisfan48640,

Thanks for the write up. One question. I probed for power (12v) that was not always on/switched but was only able to find ~9 volts on three different wires on the sunroom connector. I even pulled another connected off that was up further in the headliner but no luck finding switched 12v. My question to you is do you remember the wire that you used on the sunroof connector bundle? When I probed I found the ~9v on the red, gray and pink wires. The ~9v went away approx 30 seconds or so after the ignition was shut off.

Thanx

OP
OP
elvisfan48640

elvisfan48640

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I misplaced the damn paper that I wrote down the wire colors on, which is why I couldn't include them in the write up.:banghead: I want to say the gray and blue wires, but I am not 100% certain so please don't hold me to it. One day when I'm feeling ambitious I'll tear it all back apart and remove the electrical tape so I can take a better pic of the wires.

Last edited:

jkm2730

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I misplaced the damn paper that I wrote down the wire colors on, which is why I couldn't include them in the write up.:banghead: I want to say the pink wire, but I am not 100% certain so please don't hold me to it. One day when I'm feeling ambitious I'll tear it all back apart and remove the electrical tape so I can take a better pic of the wires.
Thanks-so do the buttons stay illuminated for a few seconds after the engine is shut off? Also when you were probing for power did you use an actual meter and get the same reading of ~9volts that I got or were you using one of those light type probes that just looks for the presence of voltage? 9 volts just seems strange to me, I'm expecting to find a 12v switched line somewhere up there.
Sponsored