No intermittent wipers? Really?

Control freak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX manual
I really liked my '98 Accord's variable intermittent wipers where they would slow down even more when you were at a stop and would immediately do one swipe when you lifted your foot off the brake. And this was in the LX. I'd've liked it in my Civic LX.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
I really liked my '98 Accord's variable intermittent wipers where they would slow down even more when you were at a stop and would immediately do one swipe when you lifted your foot off the brake. And this was in the LX. I'd've liked it in my Civic LX.
Its whats in the ex and above... Bullshit cause the cost is all of .01 cents

robeko1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, Fit
I need variable intermittent wipers on my LX. They are no longer a luxury; even the most basic Hyundai Excel has them. Why is Honda not listening. It should've long come as standard on all (repeat ALL) Hondas.
But guess owners' needs are not important for them...

BarryG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6 spd man sedan
Country flag
I need variable intermittent wipers on my LX. They are no longer a luxury; even the most basic Hyundai Excel has them. Why is Honda not listening. It should've long come as standard on all (repeat ALL) Hondas.
But guess owners' needs are not important for them...
I agree!

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
Country flag
I was driving a '17 sedan for a couple weeks and it had the variable intermittent wipers. Would it be possible to buy the wiper stalk assembly from Honda and replace the standard one to get the variable feature?

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
I was driving a '17 sedan for a couple weeks and it had the variable intermittent wipers. Would it be possible to buy the wiper stalk assembly from Honda and replace the standard one to get the variable feature?
This was possible on the last gen Civic. Someone on the 9th gen forums figured it out. You had to swap in the intermittent stalk, and run one small wire from the stalk to the control unit near the fuse box. A very enterprising guy figured out what pin to tap on what connector going into the box. After that, you just ran the wire from the connector to the stalk. There was a whole thread on it on a forum for the last gen car.

I did this mod on a 9th gen Civic and it worked like a charm.

I'm guessing that the 10th gen car is similar. You'd have to install the correct stalk, then run a trigger wire from the stalk to a certain pin on a connector going into a control unit box.

The $64,000 question remains which pin in which connector under the dash. Once you have that, it's cake to do the mod. I think it cost me $25-35 range on my 9th gen.

It would cost Honda next to nothing to make variable intermittents standard. They don't do it purely as a marketing move. They want to make the base car less attractive, and make you want to bump yourself up to the higher trim when you purchase. If you refuse to upgrade and submit to their marketing will, they gain perverse satisfaction in knowing that you'll rue the day you went cheap and bought the LX. You'll stew in your own little purgatory until the next car purchase, when you learn your lesson. lol

I've owned a variety of base model, POS turds over the years, and I can't remember the last time I had one without variable intermittent wipers. I had a truck with no cruise, crank windows, no power locks, AM/FM only. No tach. Manual mirrors. But the dang thing had intermittent wipers. This vehicle from the early 1990's, btw.

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
Country flag
Considering how nicely equipped the base CivicX already is, it is a major oversight. I mean Bluetooth, auto headlights, auto climate control, cruise, power windows and mirrors, and back up camera. Maybe those things are pretty standard these days in this car segment, but this being my first new car since the mid 90's makes it a really nicely equipped car.
Maybe somebody will figure it out, but mine is a lease so I'm probably not going to mess with it too much. I was hoping for a plug and play with the new control stalk.

quadna71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring sedan
Country flag
my Touring has rain sensing and it is useless, it basically works the same as intermittent with some adjustability to the sensitivity. I never wanted rain sensing so it doesn't bother me that it doesn't work as intended, I prefer intermittent and that is basically what I got from it.
This. I would MUCH rather have intermittent than the auto rain sensing auto wipers. Sometimes they will start up at a good rate, but invariable I'll notice the rain has let up and they are still wiping away with no care that that the window is now dry. How hard would it have been to put another notch in the stalk for intermittent in addition to the auto rain sensing? The touring package is supposedly "loaded"....so give me it all!

OP
OP
choo

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
No, they come with garbage inserts that streak from day 1.

If you search around there is a thread where someone posted a "pinout" of the wiper switch terminal that showed it was indeed missing the wire. This wire needs to be added to the plug and run to the body module like stated above. Should be pretty easy. I will probably do this before the rainy season..

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan, 2006 Scion TC
No, they come with garbage inserts that streak from day 1.

If you search around there is a thread where someone posted a "pinout" of the wiper switch terminal that showed it was indeed missing the wire. This wire needs to be added to the plug and run to the body module like stated above. Should be pretty easy. I will probably do this before the rainy season..
Can you elaborate? Sorry, and call me stupid, but I don't understand. So we can add intermittent in?

rje58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX 2017 6-speed manual
Country flag
I just bought a 2017 Civic LX 6-speed manual, and there are some things I miss, but variable intermittent wipers aren't a big deal to me. On every car I've had with variable intermittent, the precipitation doesn't continue falling at a steady rate, so I was always fiddling with them.... Level 6... rain slows down... Level 3... rain stops... OFF.... rain starts back... Level 4.... at times they seemed more like a nuisance than a feature!

It's not like I could just survey the clouds and the amount of rain at any given time and say "okay this is a level 2 and its going to stay at level 2 for more than... a minute and a half.

So yes, I'd like to have a lot of other things, but this I can live without. Heated front seats would be nice. Sunglass holder above the rear view mirror. Better Bluetooth support.

Considering how nicely equipped the base CivicX already is, it is a major oversight. I mean Bluetooth, auto headlights, auto climate control, cruise, power windows and mirrors, and back up camera. Maybe those things are pretty standard these days in this car segment, but this being my first new car since the mid 90's makes it a really nicely equipped car.
Maybe somebody will figure it out, but mine is a lease so I'm probably not going to mess with it too much. I was hoping for a plug and play with the new control stalk.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
This. I would MUCH rather have intermittent than the auto rain sensing auto wipers. Sometimes they will start up at a good rate, but invariable I'll notice the rain has let up and they are still wiping away with no care that that the window is now dry. How hard would it have been to put another notch in the stalk for intermittent in addition to the auto rain sensing? The touring package is supposedly "loaded"....so give me it all!
This!! My rain sensing wipers weren't working (they were essentially intermittent, without the sensing feature). I mentioned it to the dealer and they "fixed" it. Now they behave erratically, often wiping faster and faster as the rain gets lighter. Now I'm left hoping they stop "working" and once again become unintentional intermittent wipers.

OP
OP
choo

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag