New SI owner, When, Why and what I think

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
New user here and I'll be picking up a white Civic Type R in a 2-3 weeks. I'm having some personal issues though - I can't seem to decide on an Si or the Type R. I'm excited for the Type R but I'm starting to love the Si sedan especially in white or blue. It's such a damn hard decision...I've waited months to get my hands on the Type R but...so many things keep me stuck between choosing one of the two. Other question - Will maintenance be a pain in the ass moneywise for the Type R's 20 inch wheels or even maintenance in general?
The OEM Type R tires are about $1,300 a set + installation and have no treadlife warranty. Like @Old guy mentioned, Honda says they may last less than 10,000 miles on the window sticker.

The OEM Si tires are about $600 a set (all-seasons) or $800 a set (summer) + installation and have a 50,000-mile treadlife warranty.

The Type R doesn't have much rubber between the wheel and the road - it doesn't take much of a pothole to damage a wheel as some have already found out the hard way.

The Type R isn't a winter car due to the tires. Winter tires are available. There don't appear to be any choices for all-season tires at this time without downsizing the wheel.

If squealing brakes aren't your thing for a daily driver, Honda also says that's normal for the Type R in the owner's manual. The Type R's Brembo brakes are also more expensive and don't last as long as the Si's.

The Type R is rated at 25 MPG combined. The Si is rated 32 MPG combined.

Insurance will be higher for a Type R if for no other reason than it costs more to replace than an Si.

The Type R doesn't have a sunroof or the Lane Watch camera that the Si has.

Both the Type R and Si are comfortable and tame enough as a daily drivers, but the Type R's tires and wheels make it less practical.

As-is, the Type R is more comfortable at the track than it is commuting to work or the grocery store and back. You could downgrade the tires, but that's counter to what the Type R is about. If you're trying to make it as practical of a daily driver as an Si, why not buy an Si to begin with and save $10,000 to $25,000 or more (depending on dealer markup).

Using the Type R as a daily driver is more about "show" than "go" - you can't utilize anywhere near its capabilities within legal and safe limits on public roads.

UPDATE 7/23/17: Thanks to @elusiveaura for pointing out that the Type R also doesn't have heated seats unlike the Si. I guess since it's not supposed to be driven in the winter as it comes from the factory, that's a non-issue. :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

cvue

First Name
Chao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ehh...A Honda?
Country flag
The OEM Type R tires are about $1,300 a set + installation and have no treadlife warranty. Like @Old guy mentioned, Honda says they may last less than 10,000 miles on the window sticker.

The OEM Si tires are about $600 a set (all-seasons) or $800 a set (summer) + installation and have a 50,000-mile treadlife warranty.

The Type R doesn't have much rubber between the wheel and the road - it doesn't take much of a pothole to damage a wheel as some have already found out the hard way.

The Type R isn't a winter car due to the tires. Winter tires are available. There don't appear to be any choices for all-season tires at this time without downsizing the wheel.

If squealing brakes aren't your thing for a daily driver, Honda also says that's normal for the Type R in the owner's manual. The Type R's Brembo brakes are also more expensive and don't last as long as the Si's.

The Type R is rated at 25 MPG combined. The Si is rated 32 MPG combined.

Insurance will be higher for a Type R if for no other reason than it costs more to replace than an Si.

The Type R doesn't have a sunroof or the Lane Watch camera that the Si has.

Both the Type R and Si are comfortable and tame enough as a daily drivers, but the Type R's tires and wheels make it less practical.

As-is, the Type R is more comfortable at the track than it is commuting to work or the grocery store and back. You could downgrade the tires, but that's counter to what the Type R is about. If you're trying to make it as practical of a daily driver as an Si, why not buy an Si to begin with and save $10,000 to $25,000 or more (depending on dealer markup).

Using the Type R as a daily driver is more about "show" than "go" - you can't utilize anywhere near its capabilities within legal and safe limits on public roads.
@zroger73 Thanks for your input! This should clear some way for making a decision.

OP
OP
Old guy

Old guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
Yea me, I would go with the Si over CTR, unless you are planing are putting it on the track. As a daily driver the Si is more then good. You can have fun with it and you can get some MPGS out of it.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
I really love the look of the R...but...WOW...that's pricey maintenance.

What type of gas are you using, Old Guy? In my '15, I stuck to the recommended Top Tier premium, and got great mileage...and I'll probably continue to do so - primarily Exxon...

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
Hello Old Guy

New user here and I'll be picking up a white Civic Type R in a 2-3 weeks. I'm having some personal issues though - I can't seem to decide on an Si or the Type R. I'm excited for the Type R but I'm starting to love the Si sedan especially in white or blue. It's such a damn hard decision...I've waited months to get my hands on the Type R but...so many things keep me stuck between choosing one of the two. Other question - Will maintenance be a pain in the ass moneywise for the Type R's 20 inch wheels or even maintenance in general?
Never driven a Type R, but I’ve read a bunch. The Si and Type R are distinctly different vehicles. The R is going to be a lot more fun, but is going by to have a higher maintenance cost. There are going to be places you would not want to park it overnight. The insurance will be more. Those tires will be costly to replace. But it will be more outrageous to drive. It’s a lifestyle question.

OP
OP
Old guy

Old guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
I really love the look of the R...but...WOW...that's pricey maintenance.

What type of gas are you using, Old Guy? In my '15, I stuck to the recommended Top Tier premium, and got great mileage...and I'll probably continue to do so - primarily Exxon...
The 1st tank was non ethanol unleaded, 89 octane. This tank I'm trying E15, see how the car likes that.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The 1st tank was non ethanol unleaded, 89 octane. This tank I'm trying E15, see how the car likes that.
Here in PA, non-ethanol is hard to come by...there are only a handful of places in the entire state that have it. I wish that would change, but so far...no luck.

CDub_1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX-L Navi, 1995 Accord EX-L
Country flag
Always good to see another member initiated into the Aegean Brotherhood :)

And boy that car is sexy. I love my Hatch but an Si coupe would just be so FUN to drive on a sunny weekend afternoon. I wouldn't want one as a daily but as a "for shits and giggles" car it would be a blast. I'm sure it will put a smile on your face for years to come! :D

OP
OP
Old guy

Old guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
Always good to see another member initiated into the Aegean Brotherhood :)

And boy that car is sexy. I love my Hatch but an Si coupe would just be so FUN to drive on a sunny weekend afternoon. I wouldn't want one as a daily but as a "for shits and giggles" car it would be a blast. I'm sure it will put a smile on your face for years to come! :D
That is the plan

OP
OP
Old guy

Old guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
Here in PA, non-ethanol is hard to come by...there are only a handful of places in the entire state that have it. I wish that would change, but so far...no luck.
Easy to get here in Iowa but it is basically the same price as our E10 Premium. Very hard to find Premium without ethanol

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
No heated seats also in the Type R. I like my BUM to be warm in the winter time :)

Jessegovols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda CRV EXL, 2004 Acura TSX Manual Previous: 92 Mazda MX6 GT, 93 Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4, 99 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Congrats and welcome to the club... I do think the Si coupe looks better than the sedan this generation. It's a shame.
Yeah that coupe is sharp. Love the blue. Wish so much they designed the sedan more like the coupe in the rear.

OP
OP
Old guy

Old guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
So, went on my first interstate drive today. A out and back of 82 miles each way. Temps were in the mid 70s, dew point of 70, cloudy and had a head wind of 10 miles an hour on the way down, tail wind on the way back. Set the cruise at 72 and off I went. 6th gear at 72 the car runs at 2700rpm. No AC, just tilted the sunroof and turned the fan on low to keep some air movement in the car. Here's my two legs.

Honda Civic 10th gen New SI owner, When, Why and what I think vmuree

That wind made quite the difference. I do this trip 5 or 6 times a year and this is the first time I ever got better mileage coming home, so guessing our SI like tailwinds. Now here's what it said for Trip A overall mileage.

Honda Civic 10th gen New SI owner, When, Why and what I think fuw07s

214.1 miles, 5.22 gallons = 41MPG actual on this tank. 15/85 city/highway. So the car is getting better at reading MPGS. 1st tank it was off by 2.2 miles, this time only .8 mile.

Very comfortable drive, just so love this car. Best part is, I'm almost at the magic 600 mile mark :dance:

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah that coupe is sharp. Love the blue. Wish so much they designed the sedan more like the coupe in the rear.
When I first saw the '17s...all the dealer had were sedans...I h-a-t-e-d them and wasn't interested at all (even though my '15 was a sedan - I liked it a lot better). I had no interest in the '17 Si at all....and then...I saw the coupe...that's why I'm now driving one :)
Sponsored