New Owners: Is it REALLY feasible to use CTR as a DD?

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Now that you've had some time to drive around in a CTR, can you share your thoughts for those of us who want to get a CTR as a daily driver. Particularly, the ride, NVH and actual mpg. I am aware about the absurd tread life. Thanks.
Sponsored

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's my DD and I love it. Comfort mode works very well to soften the ride a bit. The seats are very comfy for being so heavily bolstered. I'm 5'10", 186lbs and I fit perfectly in the seats. 1/3 of my 24 mile round trip commute is in some traffic, other 2/3 is highway with relatively no traffic. MPG is about 18-20 if traffic is heavier, 20-22 without if I drive very mildly.

akadic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold) CTR 1722
Country flag
For me the CTR replaced a coupe 2012 Civic Si, which was my daily for 5 years. So far I have only driven in the +R mode and am loving it, I do plan to try the other modes. I also have a 5 year old and have to pick him up after work three times a week so the extra space is welcome.

Compared to the Civic Si it replaced, the CTR is actually more comfortable and more spacious. The CarPlay/Android Auto is really nice to have. The 9th gen interior with the split RPM/speedo was somewhat inconvenient for me, the new interior in my opinion is overall a lot better placed.

Compared to my 2017 Pilot EX-L however, the CTR isn't as comfortable to drive for longer trips. The Pilot is very comfortable, has great visibility and a very soft steering wheel (compared to +R setting).

If you have specific questions I am sure the friendly community here can help.

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
I had 2 Si's 2013/2015 as previous DDs and this is infinitely better, minus the treadwear, in pretty much every aspect. Comfort, usable space, quickness, clutch feel (I like a clutch that isn't a complete feather like the Si was -- except for driving on 95), etc.

You can see my comments in the MPG thread, but I'm getting 19-21 range in terms of MPG. I really don't care that much about that aspect though as I didn't buy it to watch my MPG meter break new records like a Prius.

The ride is smoother than when I had my '13 Si modified with Koni yellow based coilovers, even in +R mode.

One of the things I found different about the car is the fact that I can hear absolutely everything that gets kicked up or rolls under the wheels like tiny gravel or pebbles from a parking lot. I'm not sure if this is the case, but it sounds like there is zero sound deadening in the floorboard. Doesn't bother at highway speeds or anything, just when going about 5-10 through a rocky parking lot or something like that.

dpaglianite

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Well see my post about getting rid of it.

Here are a few other reasons it's not a dd for me anyway.

Potholes gg this is gonna happen n will suck.

You really gonna drive this to Wal-Mart n have some dbag door, scratch key , slam a cart into it. I know that moment will be forever burned into my soul.

I realize this stuff happens to any car, but this isn't just any car now is it.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
Well see my post about getting rid of it.

Here are a few other reasons it's not a dd for me anyway.

Potholes gg this is gonna happen n will suck.

You really gonna drive this to Wal-Mart n have some dbag door, scratch key , slam a cart into it. I know that moment will be forever burned into my soul.

I realize this stuff happens to any car, but this isn't just any car now is it.
Well good luck selling the car if you're that fixed on selling it. I'm still holding out for you to change you mind. :thumbsup:

Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Country flag
Was in a 2013 TSX prior to the CTR and I don't regret selling it one bit, can't really compare the two because they are both great cars for very different reasons.

I'm very cautious about where I park but I figure if people daily M3s or AMG Mercedes why not me in my $35,000 Civic.

The only thing I don't really care for is the attention the car gets, its weird having people taking pictures and video of you while you are driving.

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
The only thing I don't really care for is the attention the car gets, its weird having people taking pictures and video of you while you are driving.
Yeah it's absolutely constant. There was at least 4 people today just that I noticed that pulled their phones out and followed where the car went with them.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Houston is no stranger to super cars so getting a little attention in my CTR is welcomed. I do get a lot of smiles and thumbs up.

Twistgibber

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit Sport (Supercharged), 2017 Honda Civic Type R (Rallye Red #1930)
Vehicle Showcase
It's my daily driver, and my track car is a 2009 Honda Fit (supercharged). My Fit is the most uncomfortable car in the world (Cusco suspension, tower strut, rear strut, front/rear sway bars, racing motor mounts), so the R, even in +R mode, IS "comfort" mode. :p

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 CRX Si. 91 STD Hatch. 17 CTR. 18 CTR.
Country flag
I was really going to make this my DD but probably won't after seeing two kids in Civic's circle the car last night repeatedly at different timed intervals to see if I wasn't standing by it and had went inside to the restaurant. The funny part was the SCCA member I was talking to is a police officer. So on the one's sixth try I said loudly, nice, going to try for 7. The other Civic passed by after and then there were none.

Situational awareness people.

Plus coming out of Walmart with a Subbie parked next to it and kids looking in the window. They were respectful. They were hoping I was some young kid that wanted to race. So I said, come out to an autorcross and race me.

The fuel mpg being lower than my b20 on stage 2 cams with a gsr tranny ... eh. Fuel mpg is what it is but I find with hyper-mile the car and keeping it out of boost, the mpg has been better around town.

Comfort level is right in the books with me. It reminds me of the EF's and EG's. Very easy to orientate myself to the normal things. The newer technology, I'm learning.

GNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed 3
What is the smallest winter wheel and tire that will fit the Type-R?
Sponsored