New Owner Maintenance Minder Embarrassment

BeaconSlash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
TL;DR: New owner, saw A 2 underneath oil life in menu, brought to dealer, they said didn't need anything and car wasn't actually warning me for maintenance. Went on my way.

So I just picked up what appears to be a gently used 2016 Civic EX-T. She was sitting on a nearby Mazda dealer's lot for a good price.

I got around to resetting everything and dinking around in the menus and stuff and noticed Maintenance Minder codes.

Specifically... While looking at the wrench menu on the main screen, it shows oil life at 90% (was 100 when I bought), and a little A 2 underneath.

I was kind of miffed but not surprised that a used car might be sold with codes outstanding, but I digress.

I took her to my local dealer earlier today looking for an A 2 maintenance, and they said she's not showing any need for maintenance.

Guy was saying that little code is what the car WILL be asking for at the next visit.

I don't get any alerts or anything when I start her up, so I'm sure they're probably right, but it just seems strange that codes would show up under the oil life if there wasn't any actual maintenance needed.

Thoughts? Thanks! Looking forward to learning all the ins and outs of my New-to-Me car. First time with a Honda and pretty stoked about it.
Sponsored

Hmoobgreen

First Name
Samson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic hatchback sport
Honda sent me this today and it said to leave it in my car so I would know what the codes means, maybe this can help you out. I do drive a different car so I'm not sure if it would still apply to you

Honda Civic 10th gen New Owner Maintenance Minder Embarrassment ima

OP
OP

BeaconSlash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Honda sent me this today and it said to leave it in my car so I would know what the codes means, maybe this can help you out. I do drive a different car so I'm not sure if it would still apply to you

image.jpeg
I appreciate that.

It's not so much what the codes meant... It was the fact that A2 is displayed if I open the wrench menu.

Was just confusing to me why the car would show codes anywhere even if maintenance wasn't needed.

mp2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 NSX, 2017 SI sedan
Isn't everything in the owner's manual?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you buy it from a Honda dealer or somewhere else? Usually only Honda stores will reset the maintenance codes when they do a used car inspection because anyone else probably doesn't know how to. Plus any other store probably won't replace filters unless they are REALLY bad.

Streetkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura integra
Country flag
I'll check my wrench tonight when I get home to see if it displays the upcoming code. Sorry no one so far has taken the time to understand what you wrote.

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the wrench in the infotainment menu is just there to let you/advisor/tech know what the next service will be. since yours is showing A2, the next time you bring in your car the advisr will know that you need a oil and air filter change. the acutal maintanence minder will pop up on your speedo lcd when its alomost time to bring it in
Sponsored