Need window tinting advice for new Lunar Silver SI Coupe

Ninjaneer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI Coupe
My new LSM SI coupe was built last week and I will be picking up shortly. I am having the windows tinted before taking it home.

I have never had window tinting installed on a car before, and would appreciate any advice on what type and darkness to shoot for. Help me spend some money...

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
The amount of tint is usually regulated by state law. Your local window professional will know what that limit is. He will also usually exceed that amount on your instruction, with a warning of liability.

AP2SLOW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (Daily). 2006 NFR S2000 (Weekend Racer). 1992 Integra (SOLD). 2005 RSX Type-S (SOLD). 2002 Civic (SOLD)
The legal limit here (and in most states I assume) is 35%. I went with 15% myself. I think it looks great, and the law enforcment here is pretty lax when it comes to tint laws.

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Prelude VTEC, 1990 Civic EX hatch, 2018 civic Si coupe
Country flag
Just to add to the above posts:
Depending on your eyesight a very dark tinted car becomes a black cave at night... something to think about...but I would say at least do your legal %. I have a black prelude with dark charcoal interior with 25%: on dark rainy nights vision out side and rear windows for me is greatly reduced....but the car looks dam good;)

Last edited:

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
40 all around and 70 windshield - hoping that (illegal) 70 won't be as visible as to get a ticket, and more importantly, that it won't reduce forward visibility too much on rainy nights. Installation scheduled next Saturday, going with Suntek/ceramic.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
I live in South Carolina and the Dealer tinted it to the allowable 27%. I work in North Carolina which only allows 35%. Sorry NC, I live in SC.

You can look up your State's allowable limit Here.

Lhoy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB 2000 Toyota 4Runner
Do it right the first time. I personally wouldn't have the dealer do the tint. Call around to the local tint shops and ask them what brand film they use and request their ceramic tint, it's not cheap, but it will out last your ownership of the car and has superior UV/heat protection. A few top brands are Huper Optik, Formula One Pinnacle, Suntek is decent and a little less expensive. I just had my hatch done with 15% Formula One Pinnacle series on sides and back. I had my windshield done with Llumar Air 80.

OP
OP

Ninjaneer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Do it right the first time. I personally wouldn't have the dealer do the tint. Call around to the local tint shops and ask them what brand film they use and request their ceramic tint, it's not cheap, but it will out last your ownership of the car and has superior UV/heat protection. A few top brands are Huper Optik, Formula One Pinnacle, Suntek is decent and a little less expensive. I just had my hatch done with 15% Formula One Pinnacle series on sides and back. I had my windshield done with Llumar Air 80.
Do it myself? :spaz:

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Do it myself? :spaz:
Wouldn't do it myself, personally - really easy to mess it up... Just not the dealer, generally, unless you either know them very closely (have a close friend or relative there) or really checked them out and have faith that they won't just pick the cheapest possible crap out there. 'Cause otherwise that's what they will most likely do.

CivicSi84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chrysler 200
Country flag

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Scheduled a tint job for July 14th! The place has 5 star reviews all across the board and seems to be super exclusive. Hope it turns out nice! Still not sure of the % of shade I want to go. Legal tint is 35% in the front and whatever in the back here in Vegas. Think I want to do 20-25% all around though and maybe do a UV protection film on the front windshield. I feel like 35% is not dark enough for me... but I also don't want to deal with tickets. Hopefully, Vegas police are lenient... I mean it is 100+ for the next 2-3 months!
Sponsored