My Mpg has been rather poor on my Sport Hatch.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
Also... remember the SPORT and SPORT TOURING models are both designed to run on 91-OCTANE fule... not 87!
The LX / EX / EXL are designed for 87-octane.
This is because the Sport / ST ECU fuel mixture is hard-coded to expect 91-octane.
If you put in lower octane fuel, you are more prone to knocking, or the engine skips cycles to prevent knocking... which lowers your performance.
Weeeelll...not exactly.

The computer can/will/may retard ignition timing slightly to compensate for lower octane fuel if knock is detected. The system is plenty sophisticated and capable of preventing any harm to your engine running 87 fuel. You will not damage your car if you run 87 octane. The engine will not "skip cycles", whatever that means.

It's not a fuel mixture thing. It's an ignition timing thing. Higher octane fuel burns slightly less easily, allowing the computer to advance ignition timing slightly, producing a small power bump. It is a minor gain, really. If the computer detects knock, it will retard timing slightly to reduce it. This will result in a slight power loss.

The key word here is "slightly". 91 to 87 octane is a pretty small difference. The gain you'll see on a Sport model is fairly minor, because we are talking economy cars here, not exotic high performance machines, and in the best case scenario, the hp bump from premium fuel on the sport cars is modest. That hp gain could be mitigated partially by the larger rotational mass of the sport wheels, in the real world. But I digress...

You aren't going to harm your Sport Civic by running 87 octane gas. There might be a minor performance loss if you're doing 0-60 runs. Most people don't operate their car at 100% of peak power capacity during their daily drive, so any performance drop will be minor under typical conditions.
Sponsored

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Weeeelll...not exactly.

The computer can/will/may retard ignition timing slightly to compensate for lower octane fuel if knock is detected. The system is plenty sophisticated and capable of preventing any harm to your engine running 87 fuel. You will not damage your car if you run 87 octane. The engine will not "skip cycles", whatever that means.

It's not a fuel mixture thing. It's an ignition timing thing. Higher octane fuel burns slightly less easily, allowing the computer to advance ignition timing slightly, producing a small power bump. It is a minor gain, really. If the computer detects knock, it will retard timing slightly to reduce it. This will result in a slight power loss.

The key word here is "slightly". 91 to 87 octane is a pretty small difference. The gain you'll see on a Sport model is fairly minor, because we are talking economy cars here, not exotic high performance machines, and in the best case scenario, the hp bump from premium fuel on the sport cars is modest. That hp gain could be mitigated partially by the larger rotational mass of the sport wheels, in the real world. But I digress...

You aren't going to harm your Sport Civic by running 87 octane gas. There might be a minor performance loss if you're doing 0-60 runs. Most people don't operate their car at 100% of peak power capacity during their daily drive, so any performance drop will be minor under typical conditions.
yes that! economy cars faster than a 9th gen SI! cool!!!!

paid2play

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Honda Hatchback Sport
I'm coming from a 4 door Jeep Wrangler which was averaging 16 mpg!!! I drive my hatch sport about as aggressively as possible and do NOT use the eco button at all! I bought this manual transmission sport to drive and I do just that. Cruise at 85 mph (safely!) on a regular basis on IH35 in Texas and feel like I'm driving for free!! I'm averaging 33mpg. Great gas mileage. Great car.

techbrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback, 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL, 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring
I have been getting right around 30-31MPG at every fillup. The best I got was 36, the worst was 29. I do the calculations at the pump with an app called Road Trip that I have been using for since July 22, 2009. With 3498 miles, I have a lifetime average of 30.18MPG, based on actual fuel consumption.

My driving consists of a lot of freeway, with about 30% that's either off the freeway or stop and go on the freeway. My typical commute 5 days a week involves me driving about 25 miles at 80-90MPH, and about 5 miles of slower freeway traffic, 50-70MPH, depending on the congestion, and about 2 miles of surface streets. I drive with ECO on most of the time. It zips along just fine, and even jumps from 70-90 pretty well to get around cars without a lot of effort.

I got my best MPG doing a consistent 65MPH on the freeway. It came in about 26, but I am sure I could have gotten 28 if it wasn't for a few spots of sitting for a long time in traffic. It was painful to drive so slowly, though, and my time is worth something, too.

BrianDevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX HatchWagon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been running 89, and getting 33-34 AVG this is for driving in basic DFW, TX traffic. I get down all the way to 26-28 AVG when I'm in terrible traffic. and I've also gotten up to 35-36 AVG when I'm on the highway with no traffic.
I'm coming from Frisco to Dallas every other day, and I only get 27-29 AVG in any condition. Are you using Eco?

Daneko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback - Sport
I'm coming from Frisco to Dallas every other day, and I only get 27-29 AVG in any condition. Are you using Eco?
nope I've used eco on my first couple tanks, then one day turned it off and honestly I noticed no difference at all. I drive back and forth from Fort Worth to Las Colinas pretty regularly. I even took the car on a trip to Austin last week. I'm up to about 3000 miles now and still getting an AVG 34 every tank. I wouldn't say I'm a conservative driver either.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, Pilot, Tacoma, TSX
Run a tank or 2 of Premium. I have seen 2 - 3 additional MPG using Shell or BP 93 Oct compared to 87. Cost me about 1.5c more per mile and it just feels more responsive. My experience with Eco, eco is not worth it. Eco works well with AC, driving under 65, and flat hwy. Just my POV, but driving habits are different. Put a DCT in this car and it would be beyond stellar. The only time I don't like the CVT is under harder driving, but that is less than 10% of the time. This compares to my Tacoma truck which get 17 MPG, so I am happy with my grocery getter.

Tonarinojim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I'm getting 26-28 for mostly city driving running 87. It's been a cold Winter in Idaho so I'm hopeful for summer. For those of you with the Sport what tire pressure have you been running on your tires. Mine came out of the factory with something like 50psi, which set off the inflation warning. The dealer lowered it and the light went off, but on another thread others also got their cars with high inflation. I'm wondering if the Sport tires should run more inflated but the computer isn't calibrated for the Sport wheels hence the warning light. Long story short, wondering If I'm running under inflated and that's affecting gas mileage.

Daneko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback - Sport
I'm getting 26-28 for mostly city driving running 87. It's been a cold Winter in Idaho so I'm hopeful for summer. For those of you with the Sport what tire pressure have you been running on your tires. Mine came out of the factory with something like 50psi, which set off the inflation warning. The dealer lowered it and the light went off, but on another thread others also got their cars with high inflation. I'm wondering if the Sport tires should run more inflated but the computer isn't calibrated for the Sport wheels hence the warning light. Long story short, wondering If I'm running under inflated and that's affecting gas mileage.
I've been running what's recommended which is 35 front 33 rear. But it did come off the lot over inflated as well.

midengine driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport , 2019 Buick Encore AWD, Sold 3800SC Fiero had a few Fieros
Country flag
I have noticed the computer figured fuel is not good. Hopefully it will get better when they switch to summer fuel.

midengine driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport , 2019 Buick Encore AWD, Sold 3800SC Fiero had a few Fieros
Country flag
I checked my tire pressure about a week or so after getting it and it was at 48. I lowered it to 46 or so for the rest of Jan-March. I now have it at 45 and it looks like the full tire is in contact with the road.

midengine driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
summer fuel????
YES here in the north they Have Winter Blend and Summer Blend. I have at least 10 years of data on my past 2 cars and you can tell when it is switched. May be they don't have it in Canada. They put some kind of additive in the fuel during the winter.

FaceVisor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport 6MT
Country flag
YES here in the north they Have Winter Blend and Summer Blend. I have at least 10 years of data on my past 2 cars and you can tell when it is switched. May be they don't have it in Canada. They put some kind of additive in the fuel during the winter.
We definitely have winter fuel in Canada. Usually see a 5-10% improvement in fuel economy with Summer fuel.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
summer fuel????
Used to have it down here as well. We'd have 93 in summer and 91 in winter. Then one year they never brought back 93.

As far as tire pressure goes, recommended cold pressure is a good place to start and, if you have any issues with ride quality or you do a lot of highway/freeway driving, you should put them a bit higher. Lower in winter as it will give you better traction.
Sponsored

Last edited: