My biggest gripe with my 2017 EX-T 6-spd sedan

rpm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 6MT Burgundy Night Pearl
Country flag
The clutch.

It's freaking awful, like, I'm-glad-I-didn't-learn-to-drive-a-stick-with-this-car awful.

I took it in to the dealer and was told that the pulsation/vibration I'm experiencing in the clutch pedal is "normal operation". It's most noticeable when you're sitting on a hill and start to let the clutch out slowly (using the friction zone) to get going.

Asked my dealer if they could recommend any clutch upgrades and Honda doesn't make anything of the sort, go figure..

Anyone else disappointed in the clutch/driveability of their new Civic?
Sponsored

TranceFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
For me my clutch makes a little noise when pushed in. Only hear it in the cabin weirdly. Also my gears are super notchy when cold. Takes a good bit for 1st to 2nd to be smooth. Car only has 3k miles as well.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For me my clutch makes a little noise when pushed in. Only hear it in the cabin weirdly. Also my gears are super notchy when cold. Takes a good bit for 1st to 2nd to be smooth. Car only has 3k miles as well.
I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing something funky with the clutch.. I've also noticed that it's somewhat difficult to shift into reverse when cold.

It would be nice if Honda offered some sort of performance upgrade for the clutch, because I'd gladly pay to upgrade it, if it would fix the vibration issue. I'm starting to regret my move from Ford to Honda..

TranceFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
For me reverse is always difficult to get into as well. I'll shift into 4th then reverse. Still nothing. Kinda a step back from my 9thgen si as far as transmission feel goes.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
For me reverse is always difficult to get into as well. I'll shift into 4th then reverse. Still nothing. Kinda a step back from my 9thgen si as far as transmission feel goes.
Nonissues getting into gears myself.. Downshifting first and second me a whirl noise and feel slight vibration doing that.. Dunno how to describe it.. But no issues in my opinion...

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
Uh, this clutch is about as soft and feed-back free as it gets. If you upgrade the clutch you will only feel more vibration and have a harder time pushing the pedal..

From what Ive seen this car uses a dual-mass flywheel, which cuts down on low-rpm drive line vibration as it is. Any upgraded clutch would probably be a solid mass flywheel and transmit even more noise to the pedal/cabin...

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Uh, this clutch is about as soft and feed-back free as it gets. If you upgrade the clutch you will only feel more vibration and have a harder time pushing the pedal..

From what Ive seen this car uses a dual-mass flywheel, which cuts down on low-rpm drive line vibration as it is. Any upgraded clutch would probably be a solid mass flywheel and transmit even more noise to the pedal/cabin...
Only real upgrade is to change the bushings imho.. Other than that mine is like you stated.. The whirl i mentioned is downshifting amd doesnt bother me at all.. Most people dont even downshift this day and age..

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Only real upgrade is to change the bushings imho.. Other than that mine is like you stated.. The whirl i mentioned is downshifting amd doesnt bother me at all.. Most people dont even downshift this day and age..
This isn't a "whirl" at all that I'm experiencing. The only way I can describe it is that it almost acts like it's not getting enough gas when I let the clutch pedal out, but I'm giving it plenty of gas and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Also notice a slight shudder when I shut the engine off. It's probably unrelated but it feels similar to the clutch shudder.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I will trade my cvt with any of you unhappy manual transmission owners :cool:
Worst part of all this is.. How do you test it against a different one... One they are so scarce... Ur not by chance in connecticut? Id let you test mine out and see if theres a difference..

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

ruddyrid@procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FB6 (Sold)
Country flag
This isn't a "whirl" at all that I'm experiencing. The only way I can describe it is that it almost acts like it's not getting enough gas when I let the clutch pedal out, but I'm giving it plenty of gas and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Also notice a slight shudder when I shut the engine off. It's probably unrelated but it feels similar to the clutch shudder.
The engine is small on these cars and produce a very small amount torque at low RPMs, so what you are experiencing is caused by not revving the engine up enough in order for it to not 'shudder' when you are accelerating from a stop. Try throttling the engine enough to keep the revs above 1100 RPMs or so, when taking off.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The engine is small on these cars and produce a very small amount torque at low RPMs, so what you are experiencing is caused by not revving the engine up enough in order for it to not 'shudder' when you are accelerating from a stop. Try throttling the engine enough to keep the revs above 1100 RPMs or so, when taking off.
I can start moving on a even surface without using any gas/throttle by just releasing the clutch at about half the normal speed

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven't had any issues with my clutch, at all. My biggest problem is the rev hang, which makes spirited driving annoying.
Sponsored