My 2 Cents on ADM

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Not necessarily. there is no guarantees NOT paying ADM will get you a R later. you will be fighting with every other Type R lover out there for MSRP price.

Simple supply and demand. ADM is more of a "luxury tax"
While we can't predict the future, the M2, the GT4, and the golf R, all of which had smaller production numbers than the CTR, were eventually available for MSRP. Already, a large fraction of the initial CTR sales were for MSRP. I think the next month or two will be the worst for the "want vs. availability" calculation. There are cars on lots, but the next batch doesn't come till August, so everyone is drooling over this batch. By the time September rolls around there will probably have been 3 deliveries total and most of the die-hard customers with extra money to burn will already have cars. I also think for the non-informed customer, it's hard to understand that the CTR is better than the AWD rivals.
Sponsored

OP
OP
xpimpindistressx

xpimpindistressx

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma Offroad
Country flag
While we can't predict the future, the M2, the GT4, and the golf R, all of which had smaller production numbers than the CTR, were eventually available for MSRP. Already, a large fraction of the initial CTR sales were for MSRP. I think the next month or two will be the worst for the "want vs. availability" calculation. There are cars on lots, but the next batch doesn't come till August, so everyone is drooling over this batch. By the time September rolls around there will probably have been 3 deliveries total and most of the die-hard customers with extra money to burn will already have cars. I also think for the non-informed customer, it's hard to understand that the CTR is better than the AWD rivals.
for me, it was more of the Honda Type R heritage that drove me to buy this car. Civics and Integras have always been FWD for the most part (some awd wagon in early 90) so for them to make a AWD, it would be a turn-off to me

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
for me, it was more of the Honda Type R heritage that drove me to buy this car. Civics and Integras have always been FWD for the most part (some awd wagon in early 90) so for them to make a AWD, it would be a turn-off to me
Makes sense. This would be my first Honda, though I've always respected their products. For me, I had to think about it for a while to realize that with 62% of the weight on the front of the car, the grip is going to be great on the track and road, and probably even adequate in snow with all-seasons. Plus FWD only means more power to the wheels, less total weight, more efficiency and better gas mileage.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just my 2 cents regarding ADM and car dealers in general: ┌∩┐

Don't drop $40k on a Type R. Buy an MX-5 instead and have a blast with the top down while pocketing the leftover $20k. But that's just my opinion.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
The stealers (and prospective buyers who are tempted to pay ADM) should realize that: (i) this CTR mania wouldn't go on for that long, see e.g., Focus RS, Golf R, Miata, et al, (ii) many potential buyers would write off the CTR immediately due to the appearance and perception (i.e., a juvenile ricer sports car or whatever), (iii) in today's world, very few people can drive a manual transmission car, and many of those people buy more expensive (or cheaper, for that matter) cars -- not to mention, those who *can* drive stick might nevertheless buy an automatic car due to stop-and-go commute, and (iv) rational or not, today's hot hatch drivers definitely prefer (or require) an AWD vehicle.

In other words, enjoy the ADM while it lasts.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Just my 2 cents regarding ADM and car dealers in general: ┌∩┐

Don't drop $40k on a Type R. Buy an MX-5 instead and have a blast with the top down while pocketing the leftover $20k. But that's just my opinion.
. . . . unless you intend to DD the CTR. :)

OP
OP
xpimpindistressx

xpimpindistressx

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma Offroad
Country flag
The stealers (and prospective buyers who are tempted to pay ADM) should realize that: (i) this CTR mania wouldn't go on for that long, see e.g., Focus RS, Golf R, Miata, et al, (ii) many potential buyers would write off the CTR immediately due to the appearance and perception (i.e., a juvenile ricer sports car or whatever), (iii) in today's world, very few people can drive a manual transmission car, and many of those people buy more expensive (or cheaper, for that matter) cars -- not to mention, those who *can* drive stick might nevertheless buy an automatic car due to stop-and-go commute, and (iv) rational or not, today's hot hatch drivers definitely prefer (or require) an AWD vehicle.

In other words, enjoy the ADM while it lasts.
These are individual perceptions. We will see how the market adjust over time.

MatadorCE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Not necessarily. there is no guarantees NOT paying ADM will get you a R later. you will be fighting with every other Type R lover out there for MSRP price.

Simple supply and demand. ADM is more of a "luxury tax"
All historical data points to the contrary. It's a Civic, not a Ferrari--and not to mention the competition is stiff and $35k is nothing to sneeze at.

OP
OP
xpimpindistressx

xpimpindistressx

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma Offroad
Country flag
All historical data points to the contrary. It's a Civic, not a Ferrari--and not to mention the competition is stiff and $35k is nothing to sneeze at.
Please enlighten me with some "historical data."

darthpnoy1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Scion FRS, 2004 Lexus GS430
Keyword Patience if you guys don't want to pay ADM. I recall this was the same issue the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ went through when they first came out now you can easily get them for under invoice all day.

OP
OP
xpimpindistressx

xpimpindistressx

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma Offroad
Country flag
Keyword Patience if you guys don't want to pay ADM. I recall this was the same issue the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ went through when they first came out now you can easily get them for under invoice all day.

Theres also 60000 cars made frs/brz... so it wouldn't be a fair comparison

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I recall when the first PlayStation2 was hitting the market. Best Buy only had like 12 of them in on the first day. They sold for full retail price. Best Buy didn't mark them up simply because they could.
Sony told us from the beginning they would make plenty but they were just a little slow getting them shipped and to retailers. Nonetheless, I was able to buy 2 and sell one on Ebay which almost paid for the one I kept.

If Honda was a bit more forward or progressive in how they supply not only information, but also the actual cars, it would help all this.

Also, this ADM is unique to the US market (exclusively as I understand). Honda doesn't have to deal with this often because they do not often release cars that drive people this crazy. They've created a perception of shortage here in the US. Honda could probably double the number of CTR's being built daily at Swindon (and decrease the number of lower-level hatches) and still sell all of them. I guess we'll see who is calling the shots soon.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Golf R could be had a discount, there were 5200 produced over two years. Initial production of CTR is 6000, if it sells well, there will be more. Similar story for BMW M2.

SpraykwoN

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Acura ILX A-Spec and looking for a Civic Type-R
Country flag
Golf R could be had a discount, there were 5200 produced over two years. Initial production of CTR is 6000, if it sells well, there will be more. Similar story for BMW M2.
There are still some R's available as I was searching and found a couple a few weeks back. They may be sold now however. Pretty sure the 2018 will see an increase in production and I expect the Type R to follow suit based on how well it is selling.
Sponsored