Moving from Ktuner v1 to Hondata

thump3r22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic hatchback Lx CVT
Country flag
I didn't say which system is better. I just said functionality it doesn't but then I guess it depends what you are looking for. If you dont plan on doing any custom tunes than yes KTuner would be suitable. I would never use the touchscreen since it's ugly and bulky for a daily driver. If I need to monitor some things I can just use a smartphone. You can link up to 3 or 4 things on your phone.

I myself prefer the flashpro since it allows adjustments and it's also faster than KTuner right now with its pre loaded flash
ktunerflash v2 can do custom tunes also? what functionality does it lack over hondata i really would like to know "no sarcasm" bc i will be getting one or the other. if hondata makes more power then thats all the reason to go hondata but if both can custom tune then that wouldnt make a difference in the end. plus i dont see any comparison in base maps for my car yet. I'm planning on doing a full custom tune with all my future upgrades. and would like to have a mild tune for daily. dont want to use stock for daily. so i figures having multiple tunes would benefit me. plus watch the kthunerflash v2 announcement video. the screen looks responsive and doesnt look all bad in the 10th gen civic mounted like that.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sgtstaadanko

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ktunerflash v2 can do custom tunes also? what functionality does it lack over hondata
You clearly went for the TL;DR... Ktuner does not have the ability to custom tune yet. If you want custom tunes right now, you have to go flashpro. I will admit the screen that comes with Ktuner v2 is nice, very nice. But you can buy that same screen from a company called Tunerview (RD2 model) and it will work with flashpro if you really want it. Go back and read through my whole original post. I laid it out very clearly why I prefer flashpro over Ktuner v1 as I have used both. Ktuner v2 has Bluetooth and more memory than v1, other than that no more functionality with tuning the car, the same screen will even work for v1.

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
ktunerflash v2 can do custom tunes also? what functionality does it lack over hondata i really would like to know "no sarcasm" bc i will be getting one or the other. if hondata makes more power then thats all the reason to go hondata but if both can custom tune then that wouldnt make a difference in the end. plus i dont see any comparison in base maps for my car yet. I'm planning on doing a full custom tune with all my future upgrades. and would like to have a mild tune for daily. dont want to use stock for daily. so i figures having multiple tunes would benefit me. plus watch the kthunerflash v2 announcement video. the screen looks responsive and doesnt look all bad in the 10th gen civic mounted like that.
Hondata is a better deal because with Ktuner you pay $650, and then spend $690 to buy Hondata later when you realize Ktuner is not as good.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
This guy just made an accoutn just to say KTUNER is better but didnt do his research..
having a touchscreen doesnt make the tuning program better. Until KTuner allows adjustments than its not on the same level as FlashPro. If you are on a budget than Ktuner v1 is the way to go.

Last edited:

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
You clearly went for the TL;DR... Ktuner does not have the ability to custom tune yet. If you want custom tunes right now, you have to go flashpro. I will admit the screen that comes with Ktuner v2 is nice, very nice. But you can buy that same screen from a company called Tunerview (RD2 model) and it will work with flashpro if you really want it. Go back and read through my whole original post. I laid it out very clearly why I prefer flashpro over Ktuner v1 as I have used both. Ktuner v2 has Bluetooth and more memory than v1, other than that no more functionality with tuning the car, the same screen will even work for v1.
I can do custom tunes on both systems.

Hondata is a better deal because with Ktuner you pay $650, and then spend $690 to buy Hondata later when you realize Ktuner is not as good.
That's a bold statement and not founded in any sort of fact. I've tuned both systems at this point -- and I'll hold off on saying how I really feel until the platform is more mature to give both companies the opportunity for growth. I've used both systems on our shop car and have experience with both systems. Saying FlashPro is superior is currently extremely false.

You guys with your CVT's are experiencing boost drops, throttle closures, power reductions. This does happen on the MT, sometimes, but not nearly as much or as often (or as bad). This behavior can all be fixed and buying into a vague explanation of "torque model" is just naive -- ask yourself this: 87 octane and 19psi with low ignition timing, or 93 octane with 14psi and a bit more ignition timing or 93 octane with 19psi and more ignition timing, which makes the power you want?

If you put in 93 octane, don't you want more power, or are you happy with the same power as 87 octane? Because more ignition timing and lower boost does not make "more power", it would make the same as the higher boost at lower ignition timing. Describing this as "torque model" is naive. It's a great way of classifying a behavior in the ECU that maybe isn't understood or has not been worked through properly yet. But then I have to ask: why is this only happening on CVT's? The MT's aren't plagued by this behavior in nearly the same capacity.

Go take a look at a Ford torque model ECU. I don't have to go very far, we have a '17 Coyote Mustang sitting outside the shop that I work with too. The torque model works regardless of whether it is MT or AT. It can also be tuned and power can be increased for the fuel you are using, and the throttle will stay wide open.

This guy just made an accoutn just to say KTUNER is better but didnt do his research..
having a touchscreen doesnt make the tuning program better. Until KTuner allows adjustments than its not on the same level as FlashPro. If you are on a budget than Ktuner v1 is the way to go.
Both of the companies are currently quite paranoid about protecting their IP as the platform is very very young and lots of con artists love ripping off people's work. The super basic level of tables exposed in FlashPro doesn't even come close to the capabilities of tuning this ECU. The argument of "FlashPro has tables visible" might as well be built on a foundation of sand right now.

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I can do custom tunes on both systems.

That's a bold statement and not founded in any sort of fact. I've tuned both systems at this point -- and I'll hold off on saying how I really feel until the platform is more mature to give both companies the opportunity for growth. I've used both systems on our shop car and have experience with both systems. Saying FlashPro is superior is currently extremely false.

You guys with your CVT's are experiencing boost drops, throttle closures, power reductions. This does happen on the MT, sometimes, but not nearly as much or as often (or as bad). This behavior can all be fixed and buying into a vague explanation of "torque model" is just naive -- ask yourself this: 87 octane and 19psi with low ignition timing, or 93 octane with 14psi and a bit more ignition timing or 93 octane with 19psi and more ignition timing, which makes the power you want?

If you put in 93 octane, don't you want more power, or are you happy with the same power as 87 octane? Because more ignition timing and lower boost does not make "more power", it would make the same as the higher boost at lower ignition timing. Describing this as "torque model" is naive. It's a great way of classifying a behavior in the ECU that maybe isn't understood or has not been worked through properly yet. But then I have to ask: why is this only happening on CVT's? The MT's aren't plagued by this behavior in nearly the same capacity.

Go take a look at a Ford torque model ECU. I don't have to go very far, we have a '17 Coyote Mustang sitting outside the shop that I work with too. The torque model works regardless of whether it is MT or AT. It can also be tuned and power can be increased for the fuel you are using, and the throttle will stay wide open.

Both of the companies are currently quite paranoid about protecting their IP as the platform is very very young and lots of con artists love ripping off people's work. The super basic level of tables exposed in FlashPro doesn't even come close to the capabilities of tuning this ECU. The argument of "FlashPro has tables visible" might as well be built on a foundation of sand right now.
So Vit, in the future, I'm looking at having you do a tune for me, which do you recommend I purchase?

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
So Vit, in the future, I'm looking at having you do a tune for me, which do you recommend I purchase?
How far in the future? Both systems currently have things they have to work through and I reserve judgement at this time. As of this moment right now, I'll be happy to help people with both systems, whichever they chose. Our car currently lives on KTuner. That may change or even flip flop depending on the capabilities the systems provide.

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
How far in the future? Both systems currently have things they have to work through and I reserve judgement at this time. As of this moment right now, I'll be happy to help people with both systems, whichever they chose. Our car currently lives on KTuner. That may change or even flip flop depending on the capabilities the systems provide.
A few months, gotta finish my HID retrofit first haha.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
That's good to hear that certain dealer can tune on KTuner. I'm just going by information what is posted on his Web site and no one has said anything about it. Thanks for clearing that up

thump3r22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic hatchback Lx CVT
Country flag
That's good to hear that certain dealer can tune on KTuner. I'm just going by information what is posted on his Web site and no one has said anything about it. Thanks for clearing that up
Hmmmmm weird ain't it. I thought I needed more research. Guess it was you lol. I did not make an account just for ktuner either...

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Hmmmmm weird ain't it. I thought I needed more research. Guess it was you lol. I did not make an account just for ktuner either...
only him or dealers can do custom tunes on KTuner. its not open to end users

I have posted results of both systems and same with others. FlashPro is currently faster until KTuner release their stage 2. Which could be the same or faster. we dont know yet since its not out to the public yet.

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
only him or dealers can do custom tunes on KTuner. its not open to end users

I have posted results of both systems and same with others. FlashPro is currently faster until KTuner release their stage 2. Which could be the same or faster. we dont know yet since its not out to the public yet.
"Faster"? Do you have track ET's? My butt dyno or street runs don't show my car to be "faster" on FlashPro, at this time.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
"Faster"? Do you have track ET's? My butt dyno or street runs don't show my car to be "faster" on FlashPro, at this time.
im talking about the preloaded maps(stage 0/1) not tuned/custom maps. Ktuner stage 2 is not out in the public yet.

the fastest i ran with the ktuner at 18-19psi(stage 1) was 6.5sec 0-60
Flashpro at 20-21psi i can get 5.7-6 seconds

both in the same weather

im going by my datalogs

the OP dealt with the same thing. he said hes running .5 second faster too
Sponsored