Mouse living in 2017 hatch back

Callou2131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 HRV EX, 2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
So I notice my car has a smell to it. Next day i open my car and it has an unbearable smell of death. I tear the car apart, and under the spare tire is a mouse nest, made from what I assume is seat filling with a dead mouse. Wtf??? In 25 years of owning cars of alk brands I have never had a mouse in my car. Anyone else ha e this happen??
Honda Civic 10th gen Mouse living in 2017 hatch back 20170818_092513
Sponsored

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
What in hell? Where did it get all of that fluffy stuff?

Blue Ridge

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Porsche Boxster, 2003 Subaru Outback Sedan, 2015 Harley Davidson Iron 883
What in hell? Where did it get all of that fluffy stuff?
It probably pulled it from the seats. That really sucks. OP did you leave the car sitting for an amount of time?

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
I feel your pain. My 2013 civic sedan had a warning display that said"tighten gas cap". After a couple days of that, even after a new cap, I get the message"check emission system". I gave the cara good once over and could not find anything. It ran fine. So I took it to the dealer.....ugh.

Get a call the next day. After all the testing(vacuum, smoke) they found the problem. On top of the fuel tank is a vapor line that a rodent chewed on. Problem is, it chewed on the part of the nozzle that is molded to the fuel tank. So I need a new fuel tank. About $1700.00 all said and done. This all happened Friday. It's still at the shop waiting for the new tank to arrive.

I even went up to the dealer and they took me back to the shop and showed me. Had the rear seats out and the cover over the fuel pump removed. You could see the damage just a couple inches towards the drivers side of the opening. Just to the left of the fuel pump access in the picture below.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mouse living in 2017 hatch back IMG_0972.PNG

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag
^^ Yikes...this has to be covered under warranty.
And what's up with the conditions at the Swindon Plant!
Or else the civic just attracts mice. I thought you both had a hatch.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mouse living in 2017 hatch back IMG_0614.JPG

Last edited:

OP
OP

Callou2131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Its a daily driver and has never sat for more than 24 hours. i also am trying to figure out where it came in from. Cant figure it out. Only thing I can think of is through the engine bay, into the ac ducts and through the vents under the front seats. I have looked and cant find any hole where the stuffing could be pulled through, So I am going to have to take my seats out and investigate.

FN2_expat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-L 2D (and FN2 forever in my heart)
Country flag
for a reason unknown, mice love hondas.
my first, type-r, had an ABS light on because mouse chewed off the sensor wire on a front left wheel
on a second honda, accord coupe, all the wiring insulation from alternator was chewed off clean and you can actually see the teeth marks on a connector

well, there is nothing you can do about that

Blue Ridge

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Porsche Boxster, 2003 Subaru Outback Sedan, 2015 Harley Davidson Iron 883
We have a lot of chipmunks where I live. Hopefully we don't have this same problem in the future.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
for a reason unknown, mice love hondas.
my first, type-r, had an ABS light on because mouse chewed off the sensor wire on a front left wheel
on a second honda, accord coupe, all the wiring insulation from alternator was chewed off clean and you can actually see the teeth marks on a connector

well, there is nothing you can do about that
Honda uses an environmentally-friendly wiring jacket made with a soy-based coating. Rodents love that stuff.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/aut...g-covers-irresistible-rodents-lawsuit-n504746

OP
OP

Callou2131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have read about that, but it didnt chew any wires. Just took up residence in my trunk lol.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
^^ Yikes...this has to be covered under warranty.
And what's up with the conditions at the Swindon Plant!
Or else the civic just attracts mice. I thought you both had a hatch.

IMG_0614.JPG
Yeah, rodent damage is not covered by warranty. I've had multiple pack rats get in my engine bay over the years and screw stuff up. On my '10 Si they chewed the same bundle of wires 3 times and I had to have them spliced every time, costing up to $250. Also, finding rabbits hiding under your hood is always fun in the morning. Especially when they jump out at you like a jack in the box and sprint away the second you open the hood.

On my '16 Mustang I found a rabbit rotting in front of my engine in the bay. I don't know how it got there and I had to move some stuff to get it out. On my '99 EX sedan I found a roasted prairie dog that had apparently been chewing on the alternator and got zapped when I started the car. Some of the most disgusting smells ever.

For those of you that don't know what a pack rat is, here's a link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pack_rat They get pretty damn big too and the only way to stop them is to destroy their nests.

OP
OP

Callou2131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mice hate WD40. Spray it on a rag and wipe your harnesses with it.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why would they? That's considered an act of god/nature. Manufacturers can't predict where you live when you buy a car and whether it is going to be garaged or left outside. There are too many variables to say "oh yeah, we'll pay for that whole wiring harness or (insert part here) because a rodent got into your car." I don't expect that Honda will be paying out on this regardless of them using soy coated wiring.