Most ALL Honda Dealers are denying Startup Grind Noise 1.5 Turbo

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
I do a ton of traveling, and occasionally stop in to talk to a dealer. I would say all but 1 and I have stop by a lot, have denied the startup grind noise found in the 2016 Honda Civic 1.5 turbo.

Quote: "We have not heard any issues with the new Civic engine" esp. with the engine and startup noise.

What!.... is this issue so rare and just accumulated here and the web.
Sponsored

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Are you talking to sales people, or service managers?

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Only does it on mine when the engine is still warm, not every time though. I don't think it's hurting anything, since it's done it several times.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Most "All". Really?

Steph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SXT, 2016 EX-T
Mine only happens once in a blue moon on warm starts in warmer weather.

You're only going to drive yourself insane listening for noises and searching for imperfections. My car isn't perfect but it does its job, everything functions and it takes me where I need to go. It's comfortable, plus I like the look and handling for the money that I paid. Why haven't you sold or traded in your Civic?

OP
OP
Ben&Jen

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

You're only going to drive yourself insane listening for noises and searching for imperfections. My car isn't perfect but it does its job, everything functions and it takes me where I need to go. It's comfortable, plus I like the look and handling for the money that I paid. Why haven't you sold or traded in your Civic?
Soon, I have had a slurry of issues, and are now coming to a conclusion as to why. I have a very early build, that is all I can say for now.

Ps a Honda Guru friend says he thinks there is a temporary fix for the grind, replace 2 qts of the 0-20 with 5-20. He has done it, and says no noise since. I am going to wait till he has about 5k on it.

Last edited:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Soon, I have had a slurry of issues, and are now coming to a conclusion as to why. I have a very early build, that is all I can say for now.

Ps a Honda Guru friend says he thinks there is a temporary fix for the grind, replace 2 qts of the 0-20 with 5-20. He has done it, and says no noise since. I am going to wait till he has about 5k on it.
Being one to usually do all the work on my own cars and having a brother who was a Honda mechanic, I don't think it has to do with oil viscosity. It does sound as if it's something in the valve train though.

HoNDA pARTS gUY_GA

Just a dude from Atlanta.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC COUPE EX-T

AGREED 100%. If you consistently look for it, you will always find it. It does not damage anything, and we ( as a dealer group) have acknowledged it since I first discovered it on mine. a small handful of dealers that haven't ran into the issue yet, doesn't translate to most. Please don't discredit dealers around the country.

OP
OP
Ben&Jen

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AGREED 100%. If you consistently look for it, you will always find it. It does not damage anything, and we ( as a dealer group) have acknowledged it since I first discovered it on mine. a small handful of dealers that haven't ran into the issue yet, doesn't translate to most. Please don't discredit dealers around the country.
I can only account to the dealers around me, not the whole country...wow. Wish I could travel the whole country, would be a blast...

OP
OP
Ben&Jen

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Being one to usually do all the work on my own cars and having a brother who was a Honda mechanic, I don't think it has to do with oil viscosity. It does sound as if it's something in the valve train though.
Like what, My friend who is super mechanic says it raises the oil psi, he says a sensor reads it and does not engage the VTC.

Well this is only a Hypothesis, and not in stone...As far as not doing damage...until they find a resolution, there is no telling.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Like what, My friend who is super mechanic says it raises the oil psi, he says a sensor reads it and does not engage the VTC.

Well this is only a Hypothesis, and not in stone...As far as not doing damage...until they find a resolution, there is no telling.
The grinding raises the oil psi?

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
well I run 5/30 Mobil1 and get the noise..it's a unnatural motor sound the most important thing to do is identify what is making it to determine if it's a issue or not, grinding sounds have always been problem alert in my book.
Sponsored