Missing things in the European Civic 2017 Hatchback

dkef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Harchback European
I was waiting for some time for the new Honda Civic 2017 Hatchback to be released in Europe (and in Germany where I reside) and when it came out I arranged a test drive. After being impressed by the ride quality of the car, the engine, the suspension, the new CVT transmission and many other qualities (although there were things like the very low seating and the dark roof which I did not like), I ordered the car.

In the meantime, I downloaded and read the English (U.S. as it proved) User's Guide.

When I received my car, I was surprised and annoyed by the omission of several handy features which were present in the U.S. version. I list them in order of descending handiness/importance:

1) Walk away auto lock: even though my car does have keyless access, it does not auto lock when one walks away with the key fob. In order to lock the car, one has to either press the button on the key fob or the button on the door handle. This feature is clearly explained in the U.S. manual but is totally absent (the relevant pages are missing) in the German one and the relevant options are not present in the Honda Connect U.I. This feature is very convenient and I don't understand why it is absent.
2) Drive off auto lock: again, the feature of auto locking the car when reaching a certain speed is not present, either in the German manual or the UI. I consider this an important security feature.
3) Auto headlight sensitivity adjustment: this feature is again absent from the manual and the UI. The headlights do come on and go off automatically, as does the auto high-beam, but there is no adjustment of the sensitivity possible whatsoever.
4) Headlights angle adjustment: the angle of the headlights does not seem adjustable in this car, although it does not have "matrix" LEDs, only simple LED headlights. This is again irritating and something that is electrically adjustable even in very small and cheap cars. This feature is a very important security adjustment when the car has been loaded.
5) Remote engine start button on key fob: This is again missing from the European model. Again, this seems silly and cheap for a 29000 Euro car.
6) Panic button on key fob: this is again a handy feature (to find your car) which is present in the U.S. car but missing from the European car.
7) Small tray in the center console: although the center console is very large and handy, it only has the big tray. The very handy small tray is missing. I don't understand why Honda would remove this small tray, which is very cheap, on a car priced 29000 euro that has other very expensive features.
8) Turbo meter: Although the car does have a turbo engine, this display is missing from the MID for the 1.0 lt. engine (it is present in the 1.5 lt engine version). Again, this seems silly and cheap to me for such an expensive car.

I have asked the dealer and Honda DE if it is possible to activate at least the first two (my opinion is that it is simply a matter software activation), but until now the only response that I've had is negative, with no real explanation why these are missing.

I have also found what seems like a bug in the software of the car. When in the vehicle settings it is configured that the navigation directions are not to be displayed in the main instrument display navigation page, this page and also the audio (!) screen of the instrument display turn a solid blue!

Does anybody else have a similar experience with European Civic 2017 models?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
You do realize that all those missing features that you listed are deliberately designed to cater to the American market where people are lazy.

Before you complain, you should also consider that amount of stuff your cars have that we don't.

OP
OP

dkef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would certainly have to agree with you. Especially considering the extremely handy iLIM feature which, as far as I can understand is not present in the US, I shouldn't complain. Nevertheless, in Europe the cars are quite a bit more expensive and we pay quite a lot of money for a fairly small car (my car cost about 29000 Euro, ~34500 USD, so yes, I do want everything).

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Yeah, my Civic cost me 21,000.

I understand that the Civic Sport is more of a premium car overseas then it is here. Over here, its an econobox man. If I want a 6 speed hatchback, I literally get nothing luxurious. No power seats, no sunroof, no leather, no upgraded audio system, no LCD dash, nothing.

So I'm totally in agreeance with you in terms of Honda screwing us on ammenities. In your case, you're paying a lot more so you should get a lot more. Understandably so. In my case, i'm getting the same car that you guys are getting but with everything stripped out and I dont even have the OPTION to put those things in.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would certainly have to agree with you. Especially considering the extremely handy iLIM feature which, as far as I can understand is not present in the US, I shouldn't complain. Nevertheless, in Europe the cars are quite a bit more expensive and we pay quite a lot of money for a fairly small car (my car cost about 29000 Euro, ~34500 USD, so yes, I do want everything).
Yikes, did you say it was 34500 USD for a 1.0 liter engine?

OP
OP

dkef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yikes, did you say it was 34500 USD for a 1.0 liter engine?
Exactly. The price for the Civic Hatchback 1.0 lt CVT Executive trim (which has everything except the leather seats and the wireless charger), is 29310 Euro (~32846 USD)! That is with the default (free) red color and without the car delivery fees! If the dealer makes a better offer, it is out of his profit margin, so don't expect much. The 1.5 lt engine with the same trim is 31820 Euro (~35659 USD). The prices are for Germany, but other European countries' prices are not much different, maybe give or take ~500 Euro.
So yes, the car is much more expensive in Europe and for that I do not want silly "omissions" by Honda. Not that the other manufacturers are different. Toyota and Mazda do about the same (cars are more expensive in Europe), but no silly small things like this.

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Exactly. The price for the Civic Hatchback 1.0 lt CVT Executive trim (which has everything except the leather seats and the wireless charger), is 29310 Euro (~32846 USD)! That is with the default (free) red color and without the car delivery fees! If the dealer makes a better offer, it is out of his profit margin, so don't expect much. The 1.5 lt engine with the same trim is 31820 Euro (~35659 USD). The prices are for Germany, but other European countries' prices are not much different, maybe give or take ~500 Euro.
So yes, the car is much more expensive in Europe and for that I do not want silly "omissions" by Honda. Not that the other manufacturers are different. Toyota and Mazda do about the same (cars are more expensive in Europe), but no silly small things like this.
Holy...I didn't read your post thoroughly. I thought 32000 was for the sport trim...

The 1.5 Turbo engine over there is $36,000 ???? jesus christ...dont you guys also get the panoramic sunroof option too? How much is that?

OP
OP

dkef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holy...I didn't read your post thoroughly. I thought 32000 was for the sport trim...

The 1.5 Turbo engine over there is $36,000 ???? jesus christ...dont you guys also get the panoramic sunroof option too? How much is that?
Yes the Executive trim for the 1.0 lt engine and the Sport Plus trim for the 1.5 lt engine (they are the same trims, just with different names, due to the engine), include sunroof. As I said, they include everything except the leather seats and the wireless charger. For that price (as I said with the free color and without delivery/preparation costs), you also usually get (for free they say, but I suspect it is really included in the price) 2-year warranty extension (from 3 to 5 years) and the MyHonda 4G connectivity and application suite (Honda cloud and emergency services).

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Yes the Executive trim for the 1.0 lt engine and the Sport Plus trim for the 1.5 lt engine (they are the same trims, just with different names, due to the engine), include sunroof. As I said, they include everything except the leather seats and the wireless charger. For that price (as I said with the free color and without delivery/preparation costs), you also usually get (for free they say, but I suspect it is really included in the price) 2-year warranty extension (from 3 to 5 years) and the MyHonda 4G connectivity and application suite (Honda cloud and emergency services).
Yeah. You definitely have a right to complain for paying those prices.

Its interesting to see how different the Civic is overseas.

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 1.5T Sport Plus was around $34.000. The only options that I don't have from the Prestige (one more trim higher) are the heated rear seats and leather interior. Otherwise it's fully loaded.
If it weren't for the nice discount and the price they gave me for my 8Gen I wouldn't bought it either. At last I paid around $22000.

OP
OP

dkef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 1.5T Sport Plus was around $34.000. The only options that I don't have from the Prestige (one more trim higher) are the heated rear seats and leather interior. Otherwise it's fully loaded.
If it weren't for the nice discount and the price they gave me for my 8Gen I wouldn't bought it either. At last I paid around $22000.
I see that you are from Belgium. I also paid a bit less due to various factors, but still, the normal price of my 1.0 lt CVT Red Executive trim (same as Sport Plus) was exactly what I wrote (29310 Euro ~ 32850 USD).
Can I ask if the above stuff are missing from your car too? Does it auto lock when you walk away? When you drive off? What about headlight pitch? Does it automatically adjust? Do you have remote engine start on the key fob or the panic button?

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I see that you are from Belgium. I also paid a bit less due to various factors, but still, the normal price of my 1.0 lt CVT Red Executive trim (same as Sport Plus) was exactly what I wrote (29310 Euro ~ 32850 USD).
Can I ask if the above stuff are missing from your car too? Does it auto lock when you walk away? When you drive off? What about headlight pitch? Does it automatically adjust? Do you have remote engine start on the key fob or the panic button?
Apart from the Sport trim and exhaust it is indeed the same (and engine off course). I didn't want the CVT though.

Yep, same things are missing on mine.

OP
OP

dkef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apart from the Sport trim and exhaust it is indeed the same (and engine off course). I didn't want the CVT though.
Yep, same things are missing on mine.
Have you asked why they are? Can you ask if it is possible to somehow activate, at least the first two?

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No I didn't. My dealer doesn't know what is and is not available on other markets.
I can ask them but I'm 99,9% sure they can't.

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
I was waiting for some time for the new Honda Civic 2017 Hatchback to be released in Europe (and in Germany where I reside) and when it came out I arranged a test drive. After being impressed by the ride quality of the car, the engine, the suspension, the new CVT transmission and many other qualities (although there were things like the very low seating and the dark roof which I did not like), I ordered the car.

In the meantime, I downloaded and read the English (U.S. as it proved) User's Guide.

When I received my car, I was surprised and annoyed by the omission of several handy features which were present in the U.S. version. I list them in order of descending handiness/importance:

Does anybody else have a similar experience with European Civic 2017 models?
I see you have quite the discussion going already on this forum:

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-faults-irritations-10g/369969-missing-features-irritations.html

I fail to see the point of going to every Civic forum and complaining about things that nobody can do anything about. You need to get over the fact that your car comes with the features that it comes with. Shop around and buy something else if it doesn't suit you.

My 2013 Ford Escape (Ford Kuga in Europe) is missing alot of nice features that you have in Europe, like a fucking manual transmission!!

But I was able to "get" a few of those options by using software to change the settings in the BCM. For example, I now have global open/close for all my windows. And I can use my fog lights with my high beams on. And I also have rear fog lights like in Europe, but I use them as additional running and brake lights in the rear bumper cover.

I am not familiar with hacking the Honda BCM. Does anybody know if software exsists to read and write to the BCM, or any other high speed and medium speed modules?

:topic:
Sponsored

Last edited: