Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Hey Guys,

As promised, an update on the project! Make sure you check out our Engineering Blog for a full write up on the catch can kit.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto's Type-R Direct Fit Catch Can R&D Thread 080217_NLT_CTR_Gen_HD_4

Throughout the years, we've seen just about every sort of car, and engine, and no matter the advancements in technology and engineering, blow-by still remains an issue. The K20C1 is sure to be no exception to this trend, especially since the combination of direct injection, combined with relatively high compression and not to mention that turbo creates the perfect environment for carbon buildup on the intake valves. Luckily, we've already been on the case.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto's Type-R Direct Fit Catch Can R&D Thread 062617_NLT_CTR_GEN_WEB_1

We were too impatient to wait for our own CTR, so we got in contact with the owner of this Championship White Civic so get started on the catch can, among other projects. Like most modern vehicles, empty space is at a premium under the hood, but we had a few options, including the use of the gaping fender flares. However, routing lines would end up being too complicated, and we didn't want our can to impede on the painstakingly engineered aerodynamics.

Luckily for us, underneath all of that extra bodywork, it's still a Civic, and we had a few of the non-track-prepped models in and out of our facility since they started rolling off the lots last spring. With a few adjustments to the 1.5T bracket, we were able to mount the Type R catch can in the same location, conveniently right in line with the stock PCV system.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto's Type-R Direct Fit Catch Can R&D Thread 070317_NLT_CTR_BCC_WEB_2

That just left us with the task of running a set of prototype lines, and sending our loaner out for our standard 1000 initial test. Stay tuned for the results for our test, and as an added bonus, what's getting a fresh new powder coat.

-Nick

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Please hurry @Mishimoto I can't think about all this gunk going through my engine; anymore!

few35t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR CTR, 2010 Civic Si
Country flag
I've never used a catch can before and have a couple newb questions..

Are these more necessary for people that track their car, use it as a DD, or anything else?

Are there any drawbacks to using one at all other than the additional maintenance?

If blowback is such an issue on every car as Mishimoto's last post states, why aren't there solutions on any vehicles from the factory?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Please hurry @Mishimoto I can't think about all this gunk going through my engine; anymore!
Don't worry, they're coming!

I've never used a catch can before and have a couple newb questions..

Are these more necessary for people that track their car, use it as a DD, or anything else?

Are there any drawbacks to using one at all other than the additional maintenance?

If blowback is such an issue on every car as Mishimoto's last post states, why aren't there solutions on any vehicles from the factory?
Asking all the right questions, and they actually all sort of relate too.

So, the necessity of a catch can depends more so on the engine, and efficiency of the PCV system rather than the driving style. High-compression, and/forced induction lead to a potential increase in blow-by. We've had quite a few vehicles in our shop that produce a lot of blow-by, but some manufacturers, like VW for example, have started incorporating air-oil separators into their ventilation systems to cut down on deposits left on the top end components. While hard driving on the track can produce more blow-by, all of the samples that we've collected were all from normal daily driving.

So, one of the main reasons that manufacturers don't equip their own catch can system on their vehicles is because, theoretically, that crankcase pressure is just supposed to be recycled, and burned off in the cylinder. While some of it is, the rest can build up on the way to the cylinder. As I mentioned before, VW started designing an air oil separator into their PCV system since they knew it was still a problem, especially with the MK5's. For other companies, they have intake, and valve inspections written into their service intervals to make sure intake valves are free of carbon deposits and suggest to have them cleaned when necessary.

And finally, that's correct, the only drawback to installing one of our systems is just the slight extra bit of maintenance. Typically our cans only need to be emptied during your regular oil service interval, depending on how much each vehicle produces. We do some pretty lengthy testing to ensure that our direct fit kits won't throw a check engine light or affect the performance of the car either.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

-Nick

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
As long as they're not "Winter is coming" sort of coming.
Haha luckily for you I've only watched about 15 minutes total of GOT so I'm not going to hit you with any of that! BUT, speaking of winter, you guys should be seeing a presale before then!

-Nick

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Cant wait to see the end product. Having a powder coat option to the colour of the car is a nice touch. Definitely putting a catch can on my Type R once I get it.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Cant wait to see the end product. Having a powder coat option to the colour of the car is a nice touch. Definitely putting a catch can on my Type R once I get it.
We try to think of everything! ;)

Also, just to give you a heads up, I'm planning on having some more info for you guys by the end of the week, since our presale is coming up shortly! Keep an eye out for that!

-Nick

fk8_#798

First Name
pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 civic is fully built engine and tranny supercharged e85 , 2017 civic touring 1.5t sedan., 2017 civic type r hatchback 2.0 turbocharged
Don't worry, they're coming!

Asking all the right questions, and they actually all sort of relate too.

So, the necessity of a catch can depends more so on the engine, and efficiency of the PCV system rather than the driving style. High-compression, and/forced induction lead to a potential increase in blow-by. We've had quite a few vehicles in our shop that produce a lot of blow-by, but some manufacturers, like VW for example, have started incorporating air-oil separators into their ventilation systems to cut down on deposits left on the top end components. While hard driving on the track can produce more blow-by, all of the samples that we've collected were all from normal daily driving.

So, one of the main reasons that manufacturers don't equip their own catch can system on their vehicles is because, theoretically, that crankcase pressure is just supposed to be recycled, and burned off in the cylinder. While some of it is, the rest can build up on the way to the cylinder. As I mentioned before, VW started designing an air oil separator into their PCV system since they knew it was still a problem, especially with the MK5's. For other companies, they have intake, and valve inspections written into their service intervals to make sure intake valves are free of carbon deposits and suggest to have them cleaned when necessary.

And finally, that's correct, the only drawback to installing one of our systems is just the slight extra bit of maintenance. Typically our cans only need to be emptied during your regular oil service interval, depending on how much each vehicle produces. We do some pretty lengthy testing to ensure that our direct fit kits won't throw a check engine light or affect the performance of the car either.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

-Nick

this makes two of us with blk ctr in delaware .....im in dover

vanovem1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2007 Honda Civic Si
Hey! Representing the first State! Drop me a line if you're ever up in our neck of the woods, I'm sure we could do a tour!

-Nick
I'd be interested in that. I'm very close to DE!

fk8_#798

First Name
pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 civic is fully built engine and tranny supercharged e85 , 2017 civic touring 1.5t sedan., 2017 civic type r hatchback 2.0 turbocharged
Hey! Representing the first State! Drop me a line if you're ever up in our neck of the woods, I'm sure we could do a tour!

-Nick

i will be up near new castle tuesday., near lukens drive if you time this week?

fk8_#798

First Name
pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Status
Not open for further replies.