Not open for further replies.

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that with our brand new CTR rolling into the shop yesterday comes a long list of future projects, one of which is a direct fit catch can kit to protect your K20 from blow-by. I'll have some updates for you shortly, but until then, feel free to ask and questions you might have, or throw any suggestions you might have my way!

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto's Type-R Direct Fit Catch Can R&D Thread 062817_NLT_CIVR_GEN_WEB_2

-Nick
Sponsored

youCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1292 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Ever consider an air/oil separator like Crawford has for the STi's?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Ever consider an air/oil separator like Crawford has for the STi's?
Our catch cans and the Crawford system provide the same service, but just go about it a little differently. In many AOS systems, condensed blow-by (specifically oil vapor) is drained back into the oil pan. That method isn't necessarily bad, but there’s a chance that the oil returning to the pan could be contaminated with fuel or water. With our system, the catch can traps anything that isn’t clean air. This method adds a small amount of maintenance, but we believe that this system is the best of both worlds in maintaining engine oil quality and keeping your top end components clean. If you’ve seen what we’ve pulled out of some of our catch cans, you probably know that it’s often not something you want going into your oil pan or intake.

Any CAD drawings or any rendering? Size? Etc lol
Nothing yet, but very soon! We can move pretty quick on catch can projects, so I will definitely have an update on that shortly!

As for the can, we will be using our compact baffled catch can:

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto's Type-R Direct Fit Catch Can R&D Thread 060517_NLT_UniversalDieselCC_HD_1

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto's Type-R Direct Fit Catch Can R&D Thread 060217_NLT_UniversalDieselCC_WEB_2

-Nick

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You knew this was coming....
1. What is the price range for it?
2. Maintenance is every 5,000 miles/every oil change whichever comes first?
3. Difficulty installing? 1=Difficult 10=a child can do it
4. Working on a BOV?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
You knew this was coming....
1. What is the price range for it?
2. Maintenance is every 5,000 miles/every oil change whichever comes first?
3. Difficulty installing? 1=Difficult 10=a child can do it
4. Working on a BOV?
Getting all of these out of the way right off the bat, very efficient, I like that :p

1, and 2 - As of right now it's too early to tell for exact numbers on both of those. As for pricing, it's actually a fairly simple setup, so, and this isn't for sure, but it should be in the same range as our other PCV direct fit kits. I'll have a better idea on that once we get a little further into the project.

We had a loaner CTR in the day before we picked ours up from the dealer, so we already have a kit getting some mileage on it as we speak, so we'll know just how much it collects in a couple weeks.

3. I spoke with the project's engineer and she says it's a 1.5/5 for installation. Everything is pretty accessible, and the only component that needs to be moved other than the engine cover is the electrical connection rail for the injectors.

4. We're you concerned with it affecting the operation of a BOV or just placement in general? Either way it will still work with one.

-Nick

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I know some 928 folks use the Mann ProVent 200 for this purpose. It is plastic and ugly compared to what I see here, but the performance of the ProVent line in large displacement direct-injected turbo-diesels is undeniable. Do you have comparable performance specs?

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Can you guys please consider:
-Underneath drain option: this will ease the whole process & no one has one yet like that to offer!
-A glass gauge like other brands do, having option, when there is not even need to touch the can if not ready yet. Link
-A high capacity canister, in Hot weather areas it's fine a regular size, but when it's cold or around snow, drainage becomes frequent, really annoying.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Are there any VTA setups that will truly separate the blow-off from being re-directed back into the engine?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
I know some 928 folks use the Mann ProVent 200 for this purpose. It is plastic and ugly compared to what I see here, but the performance of the ProVent line in large displacement direct-injected turbo-diesels is undeniable. Do you have comparable performance specs?
Funny that you should mention that, because we've actually been working on a high-flow catch can for a few weeks now. We're still working on the right filter element, but keep an eye out for updates on our Engineering Blog. Like the Mann, it's specifically aimed for the turbodiesel market, but it will also work on gas-powered vehicles as well.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto's Type-R Direct Fit Catch Can R&D Thread 060217_NLT_UniversalDieselCC_WEB_6

Can you guys please consider:
-Underneath drain option: this will ease the whole process & no one has one yet like that to offer!
-A glass gauge like other brands do, having option, when there is not even need to touch the can if not ready yet. Link
-A high capacity canister, in Hot weather areas it's fine a regular size, but when it's cold or around snow, drainage becomes frequent, really annoying.
One step a head of you on the first one! So, all of our cans are equipped with a set screw on the bottom:

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto's Type-R Direct Fit Catch Can R&D Thread 060217_NLT_UniversalDieselCC_WEB_3

Which is so our drain kit can be installed. I just went out and check our set up, and I would personally use a drain plug most likely.

As for the sight glass, the way our can is designed the glass would end up being too small to be able to see in. Also placement would block it in most applications.

So far we've only had a few instances of our cans filling up before a regular oil change interval, but mostly older models and/ or have larger engines. we tested the BMW N55 that barely caught anything over the summer but in our 4000 mile test which took place partially in the winter which did fill the can. We've been known to make bigger cans were need be, but that depends on what we see on our test first.

-Nick

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 CRX - 2017 FK8 TypeR
Country flag
Funny that you should mention that, because we've actually been working on a high-flow catch can for a few weeks now. We're still working on the right filter element, but keep an eye out for updates on our Engineering Blog. Like the Mann, it's specifically aimed for the turbodiesel market, but it will also work on gas-powered vehicles as well.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto's Type-R Direct Fit Catch Can R&D Thread 060217_NLT_UniversalDieselCC_WEB_6

One step a head of you on the first one! So, all of our cans are equipped with a set screw on the bottom:

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto's Type-R Direct Fit Catch Can R&D Thread 060217_NLT_UniversalDieselCC_WEB_3

Which is so our drain kit can be installed. I just went out and check our set up, and I would personally use a drain plug most likely.

As for the sight glass, the way our can is designed the glass would end up being too small to be able to see in. Also placement would block it in most applications.

So far we've only had a few instances of our cans filling up before a regular oil change interval, but mostly older models and/ or have larger engines. we tested the BMW N55 that barely caught anything over the summer but in our 4000 mile test which took place partially in the winter which did fill the can. We've been known to make bigger cans were need be, but that depends on what we see on our test first.

-Nick
so when can us normal folks start testing these? :p

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Thanks. It isn't so much the size or flow as the level of filtration. The Mann (and Racor) CCV filters look to be quite a bit different in construction from bronze mesh - so I wonder about efficiency in terms of the proportion of oil, etc., that is filtered out/remains in outlet air. For example, Racor claims 0.3 micron filtration.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
so when can us normal folks start testing these? :p
Once we get our test results back from our loaner I'll have a better idea on when the pre-sale will start ;)

Thanks. It isn't so much the size or flow as the level of filtration. The Mann (and Racor) CCV filters look to be quite a bit different in construction from bronze mesh - so I wonder about efficiency in terms of the proportion of oil, etc., that is filtered out/remains in outlet air. For example, Racor claims 0.3 micron filtration.
Right, ours is going to have a different filtration system on top of the increase in flow. In fact the engineer on that project was doing some vibration testing on it about an hour ago.

-Nick

fk8_#798

First Name
pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 civic is fully built engine and tranny supercharged e85 , 2017 civic touring 1.5t sedan., 2017 civic type r hatchback 2.0 turbocharged
Once we get our test results back from our loaner I'll have a better idea on when the pre-sale will start ;)

Right, ours is going to have a different filtration system on top of the increase in flow. In fact the engineer on that project was doing some vibration testing on it about an hour ago.

-Nick
any updates since jul 3rd?

Status
Not open for further replies.