Manufacture Date by VIN?

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
Given the fact that this is the first year of the Civic X and there have been a number of issues ranging from minor to serious, one thing that I think everyone would want to know when buying a 2016 (and even a 2017) is the exact date (or at least Month) of the manufacturing.

For instance, I could see someone buying a 2016 at a clearance price when the 2017s are out thinking its a month old or so when it fact it might have been sitting on the lot for quite some time and have a number of issues, TSBs and other items to be addressed.

I know you can get the YEAR from the VIN, but that really doesn't help unless it shows the previous year (2015). Month isn't available for Civic VINs as far as I'm aware. Can you tell

Are there any websites or services out there (hopefully for free) that allow you to retrieve that information or is there anything you can get from analyzing the VIN?

I realize that it might not matter if you have to custom order it (especially with the Sensing models) and you can't really bring it up as part of negotiations, but if you're looking at 2 at a similar price, getting one that's 9 months newer might be well worth an extra $100 or so.

Thanks!
Sponsored

ezone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Electra Glide, 12 Civic, 87 Mazda B2K
Every car has a nice sticker in the drivers door jamb that has VIN, manufacture date (month and year) in the corner, and other info on it.

Much like this one:
Honda Civic 10th gen Manufacture Date by VIN? honda-paint-code-tag-2

OP
OP

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
Thanks. I'm hoping there's a way to check online somehow, especially as your are comparing offers and inventories, but that's good to know.
Sponsored