lx vs r shifter pic

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
standard lx shifter with short shift adapter on left. type r shifter on the right. the bends in the handle rod are just a little different, putting the knob in a slightly different postion.springs are stiffer
Honda Civic 10th gen lx vs r shifter pic PA070025.JPG

not installed yet. am finalizing my stereo install and going to put this in at the same time. find the cheapest price at a dealer and there you go.
almost half the price of the adapter.

you can see that the other shift point(2 to 3 4to5 and reverse ) is different.

the ball that the handle rod is part of seems to have a different travel then the standard part. not sure if it contains any further mechanical advantage there.

measured the distance to the bushing and the type r is 3/8 inch shorter. (than with the short short shift adapter on the lx )
Sponsored

Last edited:

chubbz05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT, 2010 Honda Odyssey EX
OP
OP
xcivicx

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen lx vs r shifter pic PA080033.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen lx vs r shifter pic PA080034.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen lx vs r shifter pic PA080029.JPG

some more comparative pics.
adding info-
the base has the exact same part #
the knob handle rod (the rod the knob screws onto) is taller by maybe 3/8 inch also. maybe less

all measurements given through this post are eyeball with a steel ruler. acurite +/- 20%

Last edited:
OP
OP
xcivicx

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
just finished the initial install. first impressions are that the little bit the shifter sits higher makes a bigger than expected difference. but the console is not back it yet. might cut some of it off me thinks, later on.
as for how does it shift and how much different does it feel? throws feel the same length as with the short shift adapt. possibly more feedback through the shifter itself. the (i don't know what that axis is called) shif1-2,2-3,4,5 are much improved.
maybe the last time i'll say this, buy it too good to pass on. cost me arround 40 bucks picked up at a online dealer near me. got it real fast too.
the difference between the stock lx is night and day. the difference between the short shift adapter is that it seems to be in sync a little better than with the adapter when shifting(if you can make sense of that)

REDRAGN53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Civic now..
Great info. What is the part #? I notice you say the base LX have the same part number...?

OP
OP
xcivicx

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
the part # for the assembly for the lx,si and,t are all different.
the black part or the base of the shifter has the same part#.

the part no. on the box is 54100-tgh-a01. please varifi before ordering. for some reason the honda parts site isnt working right now. find it under 2017 type r
can't remember if it the tgh or the a01 that is the difference in the assembly part #. i ordered mine thru the honda e store and chose the best price for pick up at a dealer near me. not all give this good price. i recall some dealers wanted close to double what i paid.
when deciding on the type r or the si shifter, they were both described as short throw, i choose the type r as it got good reviews every time. i only considered trying either because only 40 bucks come on.
waiting on the acurity shifter to come out

slowpoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
si
Thank you for your review. Do you know if this part will work with sedan?

thanks

OP
OP
xcivicx

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
it will work in the sedan, but if you have an si it may be the same, i have heard the the si and type r shifters are basically the same.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
it will work in the sedan, but if you have an si it may be the same, i have heard the the si and type r shifters are basically the same.
I seem to be seeing conflicting reports on this. Do we know for a fact that they're the same?

OP
OP
xcivicx

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
they are different part numbers, so they wont be exactly the same, but i think that the throw and gate could be the same.

imccly89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT WOP
Country flag
Thanks @xcivicx so much for the info! Now that you've had it for a few months, have your impressions changed? Do you like it better than the short shift adapter?

OP
OP
xcivicx

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
Thanks @xcivicx so much for the info! Now that you've had it for a few months, have your impressions changed? Do you like it better than the short shift adapter?
i'm still liking the shifts it's nice and smooth no complaints other than a little shorter would be nice, but i believe the long shift time is more from the clutch than the shifter. the clutch seems to take forever to engage. wonder if it for some kind of safety thing for the engine.

i did take about half the thread off the top to lower the knob, and shorten the throw a tad

Last edited:

Dead_pool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic SI sedan
Country flag
I installed the type r shifter in my si sedan a month or so ago. It feels much better than the original si shifter did.
Type r shifter assembly Honda # - 54100-tgh-a01