Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6 Speed
-93 Octane tune with KTunerFlash
-High flow CAT modification
-Knife-edged throttle body w/2mm overbore and half-shaft
-valve cover breather
-Flowmaster DBX w/ straight pipe
-upgraded torque rod(see my tutorial in DIY section)
-Mishimoto catch can

I'll be getting the AEM CAI and a prototype downpipe soon, then I'll dyno. If I'm not happy with N/A, at least 180 whp, then I'll sell the bolt-ons and go turbo.
Which of these mods makes vtec activate in all gears, sorry for the stupid question.
Sponsored

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Which of these mods makes vtec activate in all gears, sorry for the stupid question.
The tune is what does that; in addition, it also optimizes the VTC, variable timing control, for performance rather than emissions. Tuning is really the best value for your money and will give you the most performance dollar for dollar. KTuner, which is what I am using, will be releasing their end-user kit soon, and since you're in Tennessee, you shouldn't have to worry about emissions. If you only got one modification for your car, tuning should be #1.

What is really holding this motor back from making serious naturally aspirated power is the swirl bumps that are located in the intake ports and the cavity shaped, 10.8:1 compression pistons. With some 12:1 Wisecos and a little head and valvetrain work,I believe it will be almost as good as the older K-series variants, especially with a turbo. The aftermarket just needs to catch up.

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My bad, I don't know why, but I thought it only had the VTC.
Civicx thread October 19th 2015
Technical presentation videos detailing the highlights of the 1.5L direct injection turbo engine powering some of the 2016 Civic models.

1.5L Turbo Engine Specs:
  • 174 horsepower @ 5500 rpm
  • 162 lb-ft @ 1800-5500 rpm
  • Single-scroll turbocharger
  • 16.5 psi boost
  • 31 city mpg, 42 highway mpg, 35 combined mpg
  • Direct injection
  • DOHC (dual overhead cam) driven by timing chain
  • Dual VTC (variable valve timing control)
  • Cylinder head with the built-in water-cooled exhaust manifold
  • Aluminum block and cylinder heads
  • Exhaust-port passages cast directly into cylinder head (eliminating separate exhaust manifold)
  • Drive-by-wire throttle
  • Cavity-shaped pistons and optimized skirt design minimize vibration and increase operating efficiency
  • Lightweight steel connecting rods are heat-forged in one piece for higher strength
  • New grinding process known as plateau honing further lowers friction level between pistons and cylinders
  • 0W-20 oil
  • Regular (US-grade) unleaded 87 gasoline
  • Mechanical high-pressure fuel pump
  • Sodium-cooled exhaust valves
  • Differences from 2.0L engine:
    • Mono scroll turbo system with electric wastegate and intercooler allows for turbo boost to be built up with relatively small throttle openings and low rpm.
    • Compression ratio of 10.6:1.
    • Smaller M12 spark plugs
  • 0-60:
  • 1/4 mile:

2.0L Engine Specs:
  • 158 horsepower @ 6500 rpm
  • 138 lb-ft torque @ 4200 rpm
  • With 31 city mpg, 41 highway mpg, 35 combined mpg
  • Multi-Point Port injection
  • DOHC (dual overhead cam) driven by timing chain
  • Dual VTC (variable valve timing control)
  • Cylinder head with the built-in water-cooled exhaust manifold
  • Aluminum block and cylinder heads
  • Exhaust-port passages cast directly into cylinder head (eliminating separate exhaust manifold)
  • Drive-by-wire throttle
  • Cavity-shaped pistons and optimized skirt design minimize vibration and increase operating efficiency
  • Lightweight steel connecting rods are heat-forged in one piece for higher strength
  • New grinding process known as plateau honing further lowers friction level between pistons and cylinders
  • 0W-20 oil
  • Regular (US-grade) unleaded 87 gasoline
  • Differences from 1.5L turbo engine:
    • i-VTEC (intelligent Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) aids the VTC
    • Port injection with Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) system to handle fuel delivery
    • Compression ratio of 10.8:1
  • 0-60: [official spec not yet released

OP
OP

LX6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6 Speed
Darklight...How much money did you drop for these mods, if you don't mind me asking

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Darklight...How much money did you drop for these mods, if you don't mind me asking
Tuning- $500 - this is the cost for the full end-user kit from KTuner when it gets released to the general public

AEM CAI - $270

Throttle body mods - free, since I did the work myself, but MaxBore will run you about $160 for the same work. Shaft machining + overbore.

Valve cover breather - about $10, but is pointless without the catch can

Mishimoto catch can - $100 + $30 for the bracket

Cat modification - free, since I have the tools - if you have a die grinder and understand the basics of porting, you can make gains by grinding away imperfections and smoothing the transition into the inlet of the cat. It's not really necessary at this point, since downpipes will be available soon. They should run in the $300-400 range.

Exhaust - imperceptible bump in performance at the low end, but it's really for the sound, and works best in-conjunction with a downpipe. Cost - $150 for the muffler, $120 for welding, and about $40 for the pipes, hangers, and tip.

Grounding kit- about $10 - no bump in performance but it makes the DRL's and dash light really bright and allows you to run a big sub w/o interference.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
I think that article exaggerates some aspects regarding performance. 5 whp is a tall tale if I've ever heard one. Basically it's just cheap insurance for your electrical system, and will allow you to make upgrades to speakers, lights, etc. without having to worry about possible damage. It may give a performance boost on an old car with a worn out grounds, but not on a new car.

Doing the "big 3" upgrade is very simple on our cars, there are two engine-to-body grounds and the battery-to-body ground that just need to be swapped for 0 gauge wire. The body grounds are located on the engine mount and the other is located below the air box on the tranny. 0 gauge wire is doable here because the grounding wires are very short and don't need to be bent much. For the positive-to-alternator, instead of removing the OEM wire from the harness, I just piggybacked a thinner gauge wire on top of that one. Cheap and easy.

Black Knight

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX - Agean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Engagement should occur around 6,100 rpms, but it will only engage in 3-4th gear, not 1-2nd. Personally, I think the stock VTEC tune was optimized for the CVT-equipped cars, since engagement will be continuous in their 'L' mode, which is why some feel that the LX w/ CVT is faster.

However, I'm not stock anymore so mine engages at 5,800 rpm's in all gears and makes power to 7K rpm's. Much nicer than stock IMO.
Does iVTEC only engage in "L" mode? or does it also engage in "D" and "S" but at 6100 RPM? Also, is VTEC continuously engaged when in "L"? I have the 2.0 - nonturbo

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Engagement should occur around 6,100 rpms, but it will only engage in 3-4th gear, not 1-2nd. Personally, I think the stock VTEC tune was optimized for the CVT-equipped cars, since engagement will be continuous in their 'L' mode, which is why some feel that the LX w/ CVT is faster.

However, I'm not stock anymore so mine engages at 5,800 rpm's in all gears and makes power to 7K rpm's. Much nicer than stock IMO.
Hey, I'm just wondering what you did to have the vtec engagement in all gears?
I emailed ktuner with questions stated I had heard there was no vtec in 1st and 2nd and they said they had not heard that. Thanks in advance.

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
Country flag
Hey, I'm just wondering what you did to have the vtec engagement in all gears?
I emailed ktuner with questions stated I had heard there was no vtec in 1st and 2nd and they said they had not heard that. Thanks in advance.
....come on man, you can't be real here. The tune makes it so that VTEC engages in all gears and lowers engagement rpm. It's not that complicated

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
....come on man, you can't be real here. The tune makes it so that VTEC engages in all gears and lowers engagement rpm. It's not that complicated
Asked ktuner customer support. They have not heard that vtec doesn't engage normally in 1st and 2nd and it only states the it lowers engagement on their website. so i guess it is that complicated. Thanks for the help tips.

Honda Civic 10th gen LX MT 2.0 vtec activation Screenshot_20181114-103813_Samsung Internet

Torino_85

Hector & Christine
First Name
Christine&Hec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic lx
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Is your car 6MT?

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm just waiting on if a head swap is possible :hmm:

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Yes the vtec kicks in 1st and 2nd just like the other gears. It’s just that it kicks in so late when factory tuned, that you barely even notice. But trust me it is there because I could hear and feel it on mine before I tuned mine. It only lasted for about a second lol. But now it kicks in around 5600 rpm so it’s more noticeable. The tune really makes a difference
Sponsored