LX MT 2.0 vtec activation

LX6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6 Speed
So, I've finally gotten past the 600 mile break in period and I decided to get on the throttle a little in my LX MT 2.0. I'm having trouble feeling and hearing vtec at all... At what RPM does Vtec kick in? I watched a video online and it sounded in that video like it kicked in at 6500... if that's the case however, whats the point of only having vtec for 200rpm, since redline is 6700!?

P.S. Apologies if there is another thread talking about this, but I couldn't find it, If you could either provide thoughts / answers or send me to the right place, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Engagement should occur around 6,100 rpms, but it will only engage in 3-4th gear, not 1-2nd. Personally, I think the stock VTEC tune was optimized for the CVT-equipped cars, since engagement will be continuous in their 'L' mode, which is why some feel that the LX w/ CVT is faster.

However, I'm not stock anymore so mine engages at 5,800 rpm's in all gears and makes power to 7K rpm's. Much nicer than stock IMO.

OP
OP

LX6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6 Speed
Engagement should occur around 6,100 rpms, but it will only engage in 3-4th gear, not 1-2nd. Personally, I think the stock VTEC tune was optimized for the CVT-equipped cars, since engagement will be continuous in their 'L' mode, which is why some feel that the LX w/ CVT is faster.

However, I'm not stock anymore so mine engages at 5,800 rpm's in all gears and makes power to 7K rpm's. Much nicer than stock IMO.

What do you have done to yours?

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
What do you have done to yours?
-93 Octane tune with KTunerFlash
-High flow CAT modification
-Knife-edged throttle body w/2mm overbore and half-shaft
-valve cover breather
-Flowmaster DBX w/ straight pipe
-upgraded torque rod(see my tutorial in DIY section)
-Mishimoto catch can

I'll be getting the AEM CAI and a prototype downpipe soon, then I'll dyno. If I'm not happy with N/A, at least 180 whp, then I'll sell the bolt-ons and go turbo.

LX16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe lx
The reason you can't feel or hear it kick in, is because it doesn't have VTEC.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
The reason you can't feel or hear it kick in, is because it doesn't have VTEC.
You would be wrong about that.

It has a 3-lobe cam on the intake. Single lobe on the exhaust.

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
-valve cover breather
-Mishimoto catch can

I'll be getting the AEM CAI and a prototype downpipe soon, then I'll dyno. If I'm not happy with N/A, at least 180 whp, then I'll sell the bolt-ons and go turbo.
Not to try and sound offensive, with these mods already .. why didnt you get a turbo from the get go?

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
http://hondanews.com/releases/2016-honda-civic-sedan-press-kit-powertrain?page=2

The Civic's 2.0-liter DOHC 16-valve i-VTEC® engine uses an advanced valve control system to combine high power output with high fuel efficiency and low emissions. The system combines dual VTC (Variable Valve Timing Control), which continuously adjusts the intake and exhaust camshaft phase, with Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC), which changes valve lift, timing and duration of the intake valves.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Not to try and sound offensive, with these mods already .. why didnt you get a turbo from the get go?
Tuning software is not finished being developed. So I have to wait.

I am also looking into the possibility of swapping a K24W1 block, which is high compression, 11.6:1, so it would not make sense to do a block swap and then turbo without installing lower compression pistons.

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
-valve cover breather
-Mishimoto catch can

@DarkLight Hey man i also have a 2.0 and want to get some more grunt without voiding my warranty. Would that be possible with any of the modifications you made?

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
@DarkLight Hey man i also have a 2.0 and want to get some more grunt without voiding my warranty. Would that be possible with any of the modifications you made?
My warranty gave up the ghost a while ago. The reflash alone will void the warranty, never mind the other engine mods.

The AEM CAI, muffler swap, and catch can should be good, but check with your dealer first to be safe.

Also, you could probably get away with sending your throttle body off to Max Bore for modification, but that is expensive and the gains won't be worth it to most people. A downpipe will definitely void the warranty too.

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My warranty gave up the ghost a while ago. The reflash alone will void the warranty, never mind the other engine mods.

The AEM CAI, muffler swap, and catch can should be good, but check with your dealer first to be safe.

Also, you could probably get away with sending your throttle body off to Max Bore for modification, but that is expensive and the gains won't be worth it to most people. A downpipe will definitely void the warranty too.
@DarkLight Forgive my ignorance but which CAI are CARB certified for our car?

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
@DarkLight Forgive my ignorance but which CAI are CARB certified for our car?
According to AEM, the intake is not CARB certified, but they are probably working on it. You could contact them directly if you want a definitive answer. Injen is supposed to be working on one too, so you could ask them as well.

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
According to AEM, the intake is not CARB certified, but they are probably working on it. You could contact them directly if you want a definitive answer. Injen is supposed to be working on one too, so you could ask them as well.
@DarkLight Alrighty, thank you:)
Sponsored