LX Dash startup

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura MDX Tech, 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You do realize the only difference is the digital gauge cluster right? Shows exactly the same thing. Meter RPMs, Digital speeds, real time MPGs, same fuel & temperature gauges. Only thing different is boost/text/music/map. Oh, and different startup animation. But I'm sure that's not a microwave timer also.

And if my Tourings came with the LX gauge meter, would I feel that its 'old' in any way? No. Again, digital doesn't always mean better. Like I said, less refined compared to the LX version (its beautiful as hell btw)

But what do I know.
Hey, if you prefer to have the gauge cluster in the LX, then so be it. Personally I don't see how the LX has a "refined" look to it when the font is the same as my Panasonic microwave timer. I'm more into the crisp and colorful display in the EX and above trims but that's just me. I have friends who compliment the gauge cluster. I doubt anyone would compliment my basic black and white gauge cluster. This is coming from an 18 year old who is very much into new technology, which is why I dislike the LX's gauge cluster.
Sponsored

tpman24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX 6MT
I'd personally prefer to have the entire gauge cluster to be analog except for the odometer and trip odometer. I do wish the speedometer of the LX had solid numbers instead of segmented so they'd look more clean, but otherwise I have no problem with the rest.

I'm just glad that the Civic actually has a water temperature gauge. I came from a '13 Fit and it only had a light that told you the temperature was cold until the car warmed up and another light if it was too hot.

Schatzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
So I was a thrifty buyer (I had a 2013 LX and wife has a 2015 EX) and assumed that at least the dash would be the same as the higher models - but alas.....it was not to be.
I made this quick video today showing everyone who DOESN'T own an LX, what we have to endure when we start our vehicles.
It's a different presentation when compared to the EX and higher.

At least in the 9th generation, the controls were the same (except for the entertainment system).
The shaking of the video is because I rested the phone on the steering wheel and the engine vibration was enough to cause that to occur.
I still LOVE my car.
Be happy with what you have and/or can afford! It's the performance of the car and its safety that are important! Dash displays are eye candy and can be distracting. Keep your eyes on the road and on the dash if some kind of warning is displayed. Otherwise, the display looks fine albeit not as technological as the EX trim and above.

Schatzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
This may be unpopular opinion but I own a Touring and I much prefer the LX's cluster meter design. But again, it may just be me out of everyone else who owns an EX and up.
I love the dashboard on my Touring. It is informational, chock full of things to see and monitor, the screen with the compass is so neat, etc. If I wanted plain Jane I would have bought plain Jane, which I had for so many years before. Time now was to move up to a better or really the best in the Civic line. I am not sorry. As they say, to each his own.

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
I never buy base anything if I can help it, cars or not, without good reason. I'd rather pay the mfr a little more to not have to cut corners.
I guarantee you the LX display is a much cheaper part than the the full color LCD display on the EX and up.
Quite honestly, I don't see the point in the LX, unless you really want Honda (or you had to have a MT). I can get a Corolla for cheaper and it won't have Sensing or Android Auto either.

Houckinternet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX MT
I never buy base anything if I can help it, cars or not, without good reason. I'd rather pay the mfr a little more to not have to cut corners.
I guarantee you the LX display is a much cheaper part than the the full color LCD display on the EX and up.
Quite honestly, I don't see the point in the LX, unless you really want Honda (or you had to have a MT). I can get a Corolla for cheaper and it won't have Sensing or Android Auto either.
I had a 2014 Civic SI. that had some "Premium" features that I ended up hating. I purchased a 2017 Civic LX over the EX-T or waiting for the SI for a few reasons...
- The Radio- I couldn't stand not having a physical volume dial (ultimately the deciding factor) and the premium sound with extremely soft subwoofer sucked IMO
- Can't turn straight to ACC from run with push button start
- Stupid A$$ Warning ever single time I start the car
- Washing and unlocking the doors with the water hose
- I LOVE having an actual Tachometer
- Fog lights, Mag Wheels, and Wing Spoiler can all be added
- LX has Auto lights, DRL's, Bluetooth, VTEC, Auto heat
- SI looks to have the performance I want, but doesn't have overdrive
The perfect car for me would be the LX Manual with a TURBO, Moonroof, Aluminum Wheels, Fog Lights, a Wing Spoiler, and maybe Heated Seats. Money wasn't the reason for me picking the LX, it just had most of what I wanted and didn't have the "Premium" features I couldn't stand.

Schatzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I had a 2014 Civic SI. that had some "Premium" features that I ended up hating. I purchased a 2017 Civic LX over the EX-T or waiting for the SI for a few reasons...
- The Radio- I couldn't stand not having a physical volume dial (ultimately the deciding factor) and the premium sound with extremely soft subwoofer sucked IMO
- Can't turn straight to ACC from run with push button start
- Stupid A$$ Warning ever single time I start the car
- Washing and unlocking the doors with the water hose
- I LOVE having an actual Tachometer
- Fog lights, Mag Wheels, and Wing Spoiler can all be added
- LX has Auto lights, DRL's, Bluetooth, VTEC, Auto heat
- SI looks to have the performance I want, but doesn't have overdrive
The perfect car for me would be the LX Manual with a TURBO, Moonroof, Aluminum Wheels, Fog Lights, a Wing Spoiler, and maybe Heated Seats. Money wasn't the reason for me picking the LX, it just had most of what I wanted and didn't have the "Premium" features I couldn't stand.
Well, what you can't stand others are enjoying, including myself! I am grateful that I have a more upscale model now compared to the lower trim level that I had all my driving years because I did not want to spend the money or couldn't. I don't understand the whining about no volume knob. The touch control on the steering wheel is just fine. I don't miss the knob one bit! To each his own and just be happy or make the best with what you have.

ITGuyLevi

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Touring
Country flag
The touch control on the steering wheel is just fine. I don't miss the knob one bit!
I actually prefer the touch control, at first I was a little apprehensive about it but in practice I've found it to be amazing, especially the slide to mute.

mcartolano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Lunar Silver Metallic
I actually prefer the touch control, at first I was a little apprehensive about it but in practice I've found it to be amazing, especially the slide to mute.
I couldn't agree with you more! All this complaining about the volume knob missing! It is really a non issue when people have nothing better to complain about!

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
I am in the same boat that's why I got a Lx and my previous Honda was a 2014 Si. I am waiting for the 2017+ Civic Si. I do on the other hand miss the push button start, sunroof and suspension, but unlike the states I have a full lcd cluster in my LX and heated seats. My big deciding factor here in Canada will be the price of the new Si.

Schatzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
The only thing that I ever look at in the cluster is the AVGs. The GPS, boost, music and text are unnecessary to me lol. And if you look at it closely, the LX's cluster meter has a 3D-ish design, which feels a bit more premium to me than their digital counterparts.
So why didn't you purchase an LX if it is so premium to you and the touring is not so. This makes no sense to me and is being very trite going back and forth.

Houckinternet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX MT
I had it on a 2014 SI, that didn't have the sliding volume control, but ruined my opinion of an all touch radio. What i didn't like the most was that i had to take my eyes off the road to look at the display and find the volume on the screen.

Schatzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I had it on a 2014 SI, that didn't have the sliding volume control, but ruined my opinion of an all touch radio. What i didn't like the most was that i had to take my eyes off the road to look at the display and find the volume on the screen.
I NEVER use the touchscreen volume control for the very reason you give of taking my eyes off the road! I use the touch control on the steering wheel and just listen for the volume that I desire. Using my left thumb, I adjust the volume! I really like it and have grown used to it now!

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
I personally like the full lcd cluster but would prefer full analog. The funning thing is that analog cluster are actually more expensive to make because they need motors to drive the tach and speedo and also feature lcd somewhere on the cluster itself. I've had 8th,9th and now 10 gen civic and the one thing I would like to be different would the full analog cluster.
Sponsored