Lower negotiating power when buying a factory order ?

csoeffing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T HS Cosmic Blue
I'm interested in the 2016 Civic EX with Honda Sensing in Cosmic Blue. I haven't found any in my area. If I walk into the dealership and have one ordered from the factory, do I have more, less, or the same negotiating power ?

I'm hoping I can get it around $1,000 below MSRP, but maybe that is unreasonable for a new car model that is just coming out.

What kind of deals are people seeing in the South Jersey/Philadelphia area ?

Thanks.
Sponsored

amalgamate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I was able to get a dealer to take off $635 from MSRP on the touring. They also threw in floor mats and the mud deflectors. So $1,000 below MSRP might be a bit much at this point but not out of the realm of possibility. I can't speak to the negotiating power on a special order - sorry.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
Browse through some of the owner delivered threads and also some of the "what did you pay" threads for an idea of what others are paying. Best I've seen from an actual owner here is a little over $1000 off MSRP. There was at least 2 other owners who got exactly $1000 off, and a bunch of others between $500-$1000 off.

So $1k off is definitely not unreasonable. Just gotta shop around. Email the internet managers at all local area dealers around you and tell them what car you want and that you want $1000 off MSRP. Most efficient way to price shop. You can even leverage good offers against other offers to get dealers to compete on price.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Check out Trucar's site to get an idea of what others are paying in your area right now. As someone else mentioned, this is a high volume car. Should take less than a month before people can get these for more than 1K off MSRP.

pgears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX WOP
Almost all dealer in my area has more 2015 Civic than 2016s. For example, 162 vs 22. And some of them markup the MSRP by 1-2k. They're not going to order more 2016s until they sell the 2015s.

baba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Lunar Silver
I just purchased a Touring for $1k off MSRP, and it will probably have to come from the factory. The nearest Honda dealership (20 miles away) had a Touring in the color I wanted but I guess they weren't willing to trade. It probably didn't hurt getting that price since this was the 4th car I've purchased at this dealership.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How does the negotiating a trade in work if you are ordering? I've never ordered a car before, wondering if what happens if you have a car you want to trade-in but still need to drive it until the new car arrives.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Keep the trade-in and financing discussions separate. Dealers often undervalue a trade; up to you if you want to take their offer or go through someone else.

You could always get an initial appraisal through your local CarMax before discussing with the dealer.

baba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, keep the trade in discussion separate. I have a friend that might buy my 2013 Civic, but I'm not sure yet. I was just honest with the salesperson. If my friend doesn't buy it I'll trade it in, but that will be a totally separate discussion. I guess I feel comfortable with everything since this is the 4th car I've bought from this dealer and I know they treat me fairly. But they will still negotiate a price for your trade in if you have to order your car. You can still drive it until the new car arrives. They'll just have some caveats in the contract in case any damage happens to your car before the new car arrives.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting. So typically you negotiate the price of the new car when placing the order and then the price of the trade-in when you pick up the new car?

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like the new Civic was added to the Costco site within the last few hours. Unforgettably it's pointing to a dealer in Greenwich, CT. I'm in NJ. Blah

baba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. So typically you negotiate the price of the new car when placing the order and then the price of the trade-in when you pick up the new car?
Well, I wouldn't wait until the day I pick up the new car, only because I wouldn't want to deal with that when I pick up the car. I'd rather have that sorted out a few days before. But if it's going to take 3-4 weeks to get the car you want, I'd wait until I knew the delivery date for the new car, and then go in a few days before that to negotiate the trade in. The point is, keep the two negotiations separate. It makes it simpler for you, because it is harder for them to play around with the numbers. Just focus on one thing at a time.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks.
Sponsored