Live Pics: Civic Si Sedan @ 2017 NYIAS

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
the power comes mainly from a different turbo map and more boost pressure. The internals are effectively the same as in other turbo Civics.
Oops... I was hoping there'd be more substantial differences...:(

Oh well. Still buying it. (Dampers, steering, LSD, etc. -- I'd much rather have that stuff from the factory than otherwise...)
Sponsored

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
Sounds like a bunch of forced excuses. What what I got out of this was the the Si was the result of cost cutting and doing the least possible from a peformance perspective. I can't help but think there wasnt a lot of effort put into it.

I wish Honda would have just relesed the Si as '16 model considering how little difference there is between that and an Ex-T model. Its just that with nicer seats, helical lsd, adaptive suspension, and hatch bumpers. That should not take 2 years to develop, and it sure as hell isnt a car too cool for a cvt transmission.
Completely agree.

But I'm thinking that the delays were probably more to do with the testing that was being done on the CTR. Since the Si is going to share some parts with the CTR, Honda was probably waiting until testing was complete on the CTR before finishing up the Si. The engine stuff was probably finished up back in 2016.

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
Sounds like a bunch of forced excuses. What what I got out of this was the the Si was the result of cost cutting and doing the least possible from a peformance perspective. I can't help but think there wasnt a lot of effort put into it.

I wish Honda would have just relesed the Si as '16 model considering how little difference there is between that and an Ex-T model. Its just that with nicer seats, helical lsd, adaptive suspension, and hatch bumpers. That should not take 2 years to develop, and it sure as hell isnt a car too cool for a cvt transmission.
I partially disagree. Forced excuses, maybe. I'm not sure if you could say above, though. Performance can mean many things.

Cost cutting....this could go either way. It could mean going cheap or putting the effort into keeping the price similar to the 9th gen. I, for one, would not buy it had the price gone up by thousands just to have a 2.0T. And, if 2.0T was going to be expensive to use, what other performance improvements would they have been able to implement? It could have been all power and nothing else; torque steer, minimum suspension changes, so-so chassis, etc. Hence, I don't think they went cheap, meaning it was not "the least possible."

Last edited:

bobindy

Bobindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic Si 4 door
Country flag
I really wish I learned how to drive a stick first. I would have had Sentra SER SPEC V, Mazda 3 in 6 MT before my Acura and now Honda. I really hope Honda keeps the manuals alive for another decade or 2!
My current 2014 Civic SI is the closest I could get to my GSR. As for manuals, its the only way to go if you want the full heel/toe/throttle blipping experience. Personally I don't care about LED headlights, butt warmers, lane sensing etc. I enjoy being fully engaged in the driving experience feeling the road in my hands on the wheel and my butt in the seat. If I want comfort enough to fall asleep I'll stay home and sit on the couch. To each his own but if it were up to me the Type R would be more like the bare bones Integra Type R. Fast, simple and a blast to drive.

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
True.

Well, ultimately, a test drive is the only true "review" I'd really listen to.
Pretty sure I will like it (obviously wishful thinking at thi
My thoughts exactly right now.

Concept_cody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 civic lx sedan
I feel that with the line up Honda has put the Si into a category that just checks an extra box or two of features that people would want. If you want a 6mt you can get the sport, ex-t, or Si. 6mt + push start, sunroof, carplay; ex-t or Si.6mt + center exit exhaust; sport, si, type R. Everything aforementioned + adjustable suspension: Si or type R. All that + the ability to compete with competition: type R.

Concept_cody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 civic lx sedan
I feel that with the line up Honda has put the Si into a category that just checks an extra box or two of features that people would want. If you want a 6mt you can get the sport, ex-t, or Si. 6mt + push start, sunroof, carplay; ex-t or Si.6mt + center exit exhaust; sport, si, type R. Everything aforementioned + adjustable suspension: Si or type R. All that + the ability to compete with competition: type R.

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
its just the same as the hatchback front end with sedan rear end...and red stitches on the seats.........
not much going on wih that model....oh sorry...same wheels as the sports model hatchback......meh

iamitman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord Sport 6 MT
its just the same as the hatchback front end with sedan rear end...and red stitches on the seats.........
not much going on wih that model....oh sorry...same wheels as the sports model hatchback......meh
i guess all the re-tuned suspension and short throw gear boxes are meh? some people are never satisfied...

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2003 Civic LX
Country flag
Well yeah, until you turn the steering wheel, or hit the brakes...

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
True.

Well, ultimately, a test drive is the only true "review" I'd really listen to.
Pretty sure I will like it (obviously wishful thinking at this point)
I went to see Car Dealer Stig yesterday about a new Odyssey, and he confirmed that they will get the first ones in time for Memorial Day weekend, which is the last week of May for our friends up north.

So one more data point. I know where I will be that weekend. Lol

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree. If this comes in around the Touring Hatch price, Honda has set up a model line that mirrors what Subaru has done with the Legacy: one step above shitbox all the way to STi, and Ford has done with the Focus line as well.

It must be a successful strategy because We are seeing signs that Chevy is trying it with the Cruise RS hatch.
Sponsored