Lighter wheels, how much of a difference do they make?

tc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've always held the belief that shedding unsprung weight by going with lighter wheels reaps major benefits; improving handling, road feel, braking, acceleration and even fuel economy. However, after doing some reading around the Internet recently, I'm not so sure any more. There just doesn't seem to be an abundance of empirical data proving one way or another.

If lighter wheels are so beneficial, why would Honda (as well as other manufacturers) put such heavy OEM wheels on their cars?

What has been your experience? Is it worthwhile to go with lighter wheels? Are there downsides to lighter wheels?

I'm looking to replace the stock wheels on my EX-T. I narrowed the wheels down to 2 choices, both in 17". One weighs 19lb per wheel while the other weighs 15lb each. Would I see any benefit going with the lighter choice? This car is my daily driver, and I don't plan on taking it to the tracks or autocross.
Sponsored

anthonyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I don't believe you'd feel any difference. I went from LX steelies to Touring wheels and in the process added around 10lbs per corner, so ~40lbs total. I noticed no difference in handling, performance, mpg, braking, etc... There is certainly a benefit to going light, it's just not something you're going to notice on a road car.

jeffbatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan, 2000 S2000
On cars like this, OEM wheels are primarily made for low cost and strength.

I have owned a great many wheels, including some very light ones, and the differences you'll feel on the street are very subtle but I feel worthwhile. I think everyone has to make they're own call though based on their preferences for style, quality, and cost.

I would shy away from a light weight wheel that is not low-pressure cast or forged in some way.

SonicHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 350Z, Element SC
Country flag
There are some lite wheels that look great, but many of the more stylish wheels are more than 20lbs.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
I've always held the belief that shedding unsprung weight by going with lighter wheels reaps major benefits; improving handling, road feel, braking, acceleration and even fuel economy. However, after doing some reading around the Internet recently, I'm not so sure any more. There just doesn't seem to be an abundance of empirical data proving one way or another.

If lighter wheels are so beneficial, why would Honda (as well as other manufacturers) put such heavy OEM wheels on their cars?

What has been your experience? Is it worthwhile to go with lighter wheels? Are there downsides to lighter wheels?

I'm looking to replace the stock wheels on my EX-T. I narrowed the wheels down to 2 choices, both in 17". One weighs 19lb per wheel while the other weighs 15lb each. Would I see any benefit going with the lighter choice? This car is my daily driver, and I don't plan on taking it to the tracks or autocross.
Yes, less unsprung weight is awesome in every respect. It is better for comfort, accelerating, braking, handling.

About gas mileage though, an important factor is the aerodynamics on the wheels. That's why I think the wheels on high mpg cars have faces that cover a high percentage of the area, like the og insight wheels. So with light wheels you save some gas on the acceleration and braking, but it might get eaten away by the loss of drag.

Another downside is lightweight wheels are generally weaker and can crack and fail.

OP
OP

tc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I plan on swapping the stock wheels/tires for a lighter setup. I'll report back if I can notice any difference.

jeffbatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Google search show some issues with them bending. Maybe running more sidewall on a Forester helps prevent any issues?

Anyway, with Enkei I think the PF-01 and GTC-01 are supposed to be stronger and fairly light. GTC01RR as well but that is a more more expensive wheel..

Really? I've never heard of one breaking.. they seem to be plenty strong for a 3600lb forester.. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f72/enkei-rpf1-not-strong-enough-14-forester-635306/

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
In all honesty, you're splitting hairs over the performance benefits on a typical car. You may notice a slight improvement in throttle/braking response due to the absence of rotational mass. But with that comes a mismatch in spring/damping rates with the OTS suspension.

This isn't meant to discount the improvements of a lighter wheel. It just means that on a 2800-2900 lb car, the improvements are going to be comparatively negligible. Plenty of good technical articles on the subject; this is one of the simpler ones:
http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/wheels-tires/modp-0906-performance-wheel-test/

Manufacturers use heavier wheels because a) they are MUCH cheaper to produce with 70-80% of the integrity of forged, and b) a heavier wheel is MUCH better at absorbing road noise & vibrations.

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Anyway, with Enkei I think the PF-01 and GTC-01 are supposed to be stronger and fairly light. GTC01RR as well but that is a more more expensive wheel..
Enkei and others like Konig use a process called "cast spun" which is a hybrid method between cast and forged. It's slightly more expensive than traditional cast but with 20-30% improvement in structural integrity. For a typical DD that sees occasional track use, these are the wheels of choice for most enthusiasts due to relative cost.

You can read more about the process here (Enkei brands it as MAT):
http://enkei.com/engineering/

jeffbatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like Enkei wheels but their MAT process only applies to the barrel, not the spokes or center area of the wheel. Aside from the barrel I believe RPF1's are gravity cast. Also, plenty of examples out there of rpf1's bending at the edge of the rim where the MAT process applies. Every process has trade offs and maybe for the rpf1 in particular their sacrificed more in favor of reducing weight than adding strength. But I don't really know obviously.

Anyway I agree on splitting hairs but all else being equal I don't know why you wouldn't go with a lighter wheel.

Enkei and others like Konig use a process called "cast spun" which is a hybrid method between cast and forged. It's slightly more expensive than traditional cast but with 20-30% improvement in structural integrity. For a typical DD that sees occasional track use, these are the wheels of choice for most enthusiasts due to relative cost.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I for one probably won't unless I plan to do wider tires or break a wheel lol.

Even then, NVH is pretty noticeable on lighter wheels like the RPF1. It's not THAT bad; just something I've noticed on cars that retain the stock spec tires.

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
it is highly unlikely you're going to have any difference losing 4lbs of weight per wheel.

I would think that running a wider wheel and/or aggressive offet would change the way the car drives further. I would be curious to get a set of 17x8.5 rpf1's in +20, seeing that ppl here have gotten away with 9.5" wheels in stock-ish +45 with little or no (i would guess outside clearance) rubbing.
Sponsored