Let's talk about Lug Nuts (and lock nuts)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just recently acquired a 2017 Hatchback Sport Touring. A big part of the reason for going with the ST over the EX-L was the wheels. I love the dark look of them, but the chrome lug nuts seem a little out of place.

That being said, i just can't justify buying black lug nuts and lock nuts from Honda for over $350 total. That just seems absurd.

From what I've read, all Honda's use a ball seat lug nut. So I was looking for alternatives to the OEM products.

I came up with this as an option: https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Auto...&sr=8-20&keywords=ball+seat+black+wheel+locks

Does anyone have any feedback or opinions either way on going with an alternative product? I hear good things about the Gorilla brand overall, though there are no customer reviews on the link I pasted above. Any ideas?
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
make sure yu get the right type of lugs and not tuner lugs if you are using your oem wheels

vanscamps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just recently acquired a 2017 Hatchback Sport Touring. A big part of the reason for going with the ST over the EX-L was the wheels. I love the dark look of them, but the chrome lug nuts seem a little out of place.

That being said, i just can't justify buying black lug nuts and lock nuts from Honda for over $350 total. That just seems absurd.

From what I've read, all Honda's use a ball seat lug nut. So I was looking for alternatives to the OEM products.

I came up with this as an option: https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Auto...&sr=8-20&keywords=ball+seat+black+wheel+locks

Does anyone have any feedback or opinions either way on going with an alternative product? I hear good things about the Gorilla brand overall, though there are no customer reviews on the link I pasted above. Any ideas?
Are these the correct size?

izitnick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2017 Civic EX CVT Hatch
Country flag
Are these the correct size?
Good question. Everything I've seen here on CivicX has Civic using (and going back for a long time) 12mm x 1.5mm ball seat lugs. I am interested to hear more opinions on this particular brand/product though. I love the look of the black lugs but, these lugs are the only things holding the wheels on after all!

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 sport touring hatch
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking into the Mcgard's, I know they make them for Honda branded locks and lugs. On the Mcgard site you cannot search for Honda, so I, in turn, searched Acura and it suggested some cone seat sets, will those be ok?

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was looking into the Mcgard's, I know they make them for Honda branded locks and lugs. On the Mcgard site you cannot search for Honda, so I, in turn, searched Acura and it suggested some cone seat sets, will those be ok?
interesting. These look like they might work. and the price is great! I'm going to reach out to them to make sure they would work. thanks for the heads up.

Kev.Oli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatch Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In the same boat here...
Refused to get the jacked up priced ones from Honda.
I have some Black ball seat lugnuts pm me I'll send some pictures.
was able to get the Gorilla wheel locks in black, but now I'm looking for 16 more matching black lugs. I'd take the hit and buy 20 if need be, though I would prefer not to.
Do you have a link to where I can find black ball seat ones? It's proving quite difficult to find them through the sites I usually use.

Edit: found some seemingly decent ones from e-autosports' eBay shop (for some reason not listed on their actual site)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20x-Ball-Ra...-Lug-Nuts-12x1-5-M12-P1-5-BLACK-/272056900406

Last edited:

Mt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
black lug nuts and lock nuts from Honda for over $350 total. That just seems absurd.

From what I've read, all Honda's use a ball seat lug nut.
Ball seat, 12x1.5 for Honda's with 5x114.3. Big Honda's that use 5x120 are different, you don't need to worry about those cars.

Where are you paying $15/lug nut and retail for lock set?

Quick search online... (S2000 CR lug nuts & lock set)
90304-SA7-811 $5-6/lug nut
08W42-S2A-100 ~$60 for lock set

Should come out to around $140 for the set shopping online Honda parts store

Kev.Oli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatch Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Where are you paying $15/lug nut and retail for lock set?
At least in my case, they were charging around that at the time of sale. It was a bit above the price listed on the Honda build & price tool, so I declined.
Pretty much forces you to do it aftermarket.

Honda Civic 10th gen Let's talk about Lug Nuts (and lock nuts) Screenshot_20170314-213812

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There's a new amazing shopping website. They got all kinds and colors of lug nuts. Good prices most of the time too. Check it out.

It's called eBay. ;)
I'm all for eBay for certain things. But buying knock off lug nuts will not be one of them. It's one thing to get a cheap cell phone charger that might only last a year. It's another to have your wheel pop off when you're on the highway. Most non-knock off lug nuts on eBay are similarly priced on amazon. And the genuine Honda one are not far off from the crazy prices on the Honda estore
Sponsored