LED headlight in 2016 Honda civic

Whoosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Honda civic will be more competitive if it had LED headlight for its basic trim level. And I think LED lighting will become standard for all the cars in the future.
Wouldn't be surprised if they make it a standard feature on more models for the sedan's refresh. By then it'll be even more common feature among cars.
Sponsored

10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Why the new Honda civic doesn't have LED headlights. I know the base trim for toyota corolla has LED headlight.
I'd gladly take the new Civic model without LED headlights over any Corolla with LED lights. With the specs and reviews that were posted since last night the 2016 Civic just put a substantial distance between itself and the Corolla in all aspects.

CaptK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV Crosstek
The LED is not on the accessory list and Honda doesn't do options people, so expect it to be exclusive to the Touring trim. /thread. As I've mentioned earlier on other threads, it's a replacement part so any conversions are DIY and at your own risk..

Honda doesn't do options because it simplifies that manufacturing process and keeps costs down. The factory knows which features to put in the car once they know the trim, spray a color and send it off. It eases the process too on the used car market.

Just so you people know as well, only the tail lights that light up at night with the headlights are LED. The actual brake light that lights up when you hit the brakes is still incandescent. Same with rear reverse lights and turn signals. Plate lights are LED.
Given your location, just a shot in the dark but you wouldn't be involved in the manufacturing would you? If you are of course we will all be hounding you for info on when production will start and we can expect it to roll off the line, so be warned :)

It's a shame that the LED is exclusive to only the Touring but with all the other new features and the price barely budging, it is really really hard to complain right now. This thing is a screaming bargain.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Given your location, just a shot in the dark but you wouldn't be involved in the manufacturing would you? If you are of course we will all be hounding you for info on when production will start and we can expect it to roll off the line, so be warned :)

It's a shame that the LED is exclusive to only the Touring but with all the other new features and the price barely budging, it is really really hard to complain right now. This thing is a screaming bargain.
No, I'm not affiliated with Honda. If I worked at the Aliston plant, some of the Civics would be for the Canadian market anyway and my information would be unreliable for most of the people here. I'm just very knowledgeable with the vehicle through certain channels (meaning a relative works for Honda deep down well past the dealership level) I know it's a disappointment that we can't get LEDs on lesser trims but that's what gives the Touring it's exclusivity.

In Canada, our EX-L for the 9th gen Civic is the Touring. For 5 grand more than the EX you get cheap leather, power driver seat, Navi, the 10 spoke 17' wheels, fog lights and sat radio. Was that enough to spend 5k more? Hell no, that's why I only have the EX model. Adding LEDs, side mirror signals, 450 watt Audio and the works gives the Touring the separation it needs from the lesser trims now. It'll entice more consumers to purchase the top model because it can come off as entry level luxury and Honda will take more of your money.

Last edited:

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Honda civic will be more competitive if it had LED headlight for its basic trim level. And I think LED lighting will become standard for all the cars in the future.
The car quite frankly doesn't NEED to be more competitive when it's at the top of its class now...

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
In defense of the halogen projectors, there are or will be a few positives about them.

An HID kit might work well in them. If not, you can retrofit good HID projectors into them.

They have the same LED DRL and they are a good looking headlight.

When the LEDs fail, you'll be looking at an expensive repair. For a headlight.

In the future it'll be difficult to source either the entire LED headlight assembly and/or the LED emitters. you can't just put any LED emitter into the headlight housings, besides the obvious tech details like LED form factor, Vf and luminous intensity you also have to match the color of light. All of which will take real effort in the future when dealing with obsolete parts.

In 15-20 years parts will be NLA (no longer available) from Honda. You'll see older Touring's sporting halogen projectors as people can't find or afford the LED headlights.

I think the LED headlights are great and I'd like to have them in the Si I plan to get. But as the owner of an obsolete Honda I appreciate that the halogen projectors are available

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Its those LED lights plus the sound system that pushed me towards the touring. Now I don't have to worry about installing some cheap HID kit.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
wonder if I one can buy the LED light and put them in or is there more to it then just plug and play. oh yeah. woot woot. ceeveek
its gonna cost you two grand for the set with the risk of it not being compatible. Might as well use that money on a higher model like buying the Touring outright.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
I'd gladly take the new Civic model without LED headlights over any Corolla with LED lights. With the specs and reviews that were posted since last night the 2016 Civic just put a substantial distance between itself and the Corolla in all aspects.
Except the for the headlight aspect. LED headlights are such a huge improvement over halogen there's no comparison. Halogen efficacy is around 24 lumens/watt. LED efficacy is >100 lumens/watt. So with halogens, you've got to run these 110W space heaters every time you turn on the low beams--even more if you run separate high beams. HIDs are an improvement over halogen in efficacy. They typically draw 35W vs 55W with halogen, but HIDs have complex ballasts and take several minutes to produce full output. That's no good for a high beam. It's not very good for low beams either. LEDs own both by a wide margin since they're instant on, and way more efficient than either.

For those making the cost argument: Halogen bulbs only save you money if you never use them. Figure your alternator is ~60% efficient and you should be able to see that you're burning a lot of gas to run those caveman halogen space heaters. You never stop paying for them. And when it comes time to replace them after a few hundred hours you get to pay for them all over again. LEDs will last thousands and thousands of hours. LEDs are not only the best headlights by a wide margin but the cheapest also in the long run. Toyota gets it. They offer LEDs on at least two models under $20k. Honda is still behind the curve and cheaping out here.

SPEEDANDTECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accords
yeah my problem with the Touring is it has a lot of stuff I don't really care for such as Navigation, leather etc.
but yeah probably in the long run cheap to get the Touring vs. EX-T and spending $$ on upgrading.

every penny is adding up. oh yeah it's gonna be expensive.

RSXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 RSX
yeah my problem with the Touring is it has a lot of stuff I don't really care for such as Navigation, leather etc.
but yeah probably in the long run cheap to get the Touring vs. EX-T and spending $$ on upgrading.

every penny is adding up. oh yeah it's gonna be expensive.
It really depends what those upgrades are. If you're just going to be adding some of that tech back in or retrofitting HIDs, then there is no point. For those saving the money to spend on performance mods, I can totally understand why they would forgo the Touring. I don't imagine a huge percentage of people doing that for the sedan. Maybe the coupe.

iamjack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Except the for the headlight aspect. LED headlights are such a huge improvement over halogen there's no comparison. Halogen efficacy is around 24 lumens/watt. LED efficacy is >100 lumens/watt. So with halogens, you've got to run these 110W space heaters every time you turn on the low beams--even more if you run separate high beams. HIDs are an improvement over halogen in efficacy. They typically draw 35W vs 55W with halogen, but HIDs have complex ballasts and take several minutes to produce full output. That's no good for a high beam. It's not very good for low beams either. LEDs own both by a wide margin since they're instant on, and way more efficient than either.

For those making the cost argument: Halogen bulbs only save you money if you never use them. Figure your alternator is ~60% efficient and you should be able to see that you're burning a lot of gas to run those caveman halogen space heaters. You never stop paying for them. And when it comes time to replace them after a few hundred hours you get to pay for them all over again. LEDs will last thousands and thousands of hours. LEDs are not only the best headlights by a wide margin but the cheapest also in the long run. Toyota gets it. They offer LEDs on at least two models under $20k. Honda is still behind the curve and cheaping out here.
That all makes sense, but then question is how much the LED upgrades cost now vs the extra amount of gas you use to power the HID and then to replace them. It may not necessarily work out in favor of the LED if a person doesn't put put high mileage on their car and/or drive often with the headlights on.

regularguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX w/sensing, 16 Civic EX
Country flag
Anybody have any experience with aftermarket LED headlight bulb replacements? There are tons of conversion kits on amazon and ebay if you search for H11 LED, ranging from $10-$100, some with pretty decent reviews. I'm a little wary of replacing my driving lights with something bleeding-edge, but at some point I would like to replace them with something around 5000k so that they match the DRLs.
Sponsored