Leasing 2016 Honda Civic Mod or Not?

iTzLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hey all!

I was curious if you were leasing a vehicle would you do anything or mod your vehicle?

Thank you! :D
Sponsored

slayerx02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FG2 , 2020 FC3
Country flag
Most would keep it to something easily removable or returned back to stock, like a new set of wheels or side window visors for example. I personally would only do rims, if anything at all on a lease.

OP
OP

iTzLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Most would keep it to something easily removable or returned back to stock, like a new set of wheels or side window visors for example. I personally would only do rims, if anything at all on a lease.
Would you do tint? It wasn't done on my touring... Also would you return it back to dealership or would you just privately sell it?

slayerx02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FG2 , 2020 FC3
Country flag
Oh that sucks you didn't get a tinted one, I would need it tinted if its a lease since that's out of pocket expense for a car you might not keep, if i did end up with a lease with no tint, living in Phoenix I would absolutely get it tinted. I wasn't aware you could privately sell a lease after the term, I though you always returned to the dealer after the term or you can decide to purchase it. I would return it and get another car personally, that is one of the perks of leasing if you're the type who likes to try out different makes and models.

OP
OP

iTzLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Oh that sucks you didn't get a tinted one, I would need it tinted if its a lease since that's out of pocket expense for a car you might not keep, if i did end up with a lease with no tint, living in Phoenix I would absolutely get it tinted. I wasn't aware you could privately sell a lease after the term, I though you always returned to the dealer after the term or you can decide to purchase it. I would return it and get another car personally, that is one of the perks of leasing if you're the type who likes to try out different makes and models.
Sorry, I have alot of questions, this is my first time leasing a vehicle. So at the beginning of my term I can return this vehicle and get another one?

slayerx02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FG2 , 2020 FC3
Country flag
I have only leased a vehicle once, and from what I remember about it is, you sign into a binding contract for a set term in months either 12 or 24 months. At the end of what ever term you agreed to, you return the car to the dealer and you either walk away and go to another dealer and lease your next car there, choose to purchase the car having already payed most of the principal, or you start a new lease on a newer model or a different model. I believe if you already signed into the lease, you will need to terminate the contract and pay an early termination fee.

OP
OP

iTzLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I have only leased a vehicle once, and from what I remember about it is, you sign into a binding contract for a set term in months either 12 or 24 months. At the end of what ever term you agreed to, you return the car to the dealer and you either walk away and go to another dealer and lease your next car there, choose to purchase the car having already payed most of the principal, or you start a new lease on a newer model or a different model. I believe if you already signed into the lease, you will need to terminate the contract and pay an early termination fee.
Oh okay, how do I know how long the lease will be? and also so you wouldn't put your own expenses into this vehicle? Apparently they told me that they'll take it no matter what as long as the vehicle drives

slayerx02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FG2 , 2020 FC3
Country flag
Well, a lease usually has a bunch of terms of agreement, like you can't exceed a certain total miles within the term. I would go back and get a full disclosure on what the terms are on your lease. Personally, yes I wouldn't do anything more than a set of rims, I would keep the stock rims and put them back on when its time to return the car.

OP
OP

iTzLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Well, a lease usually has a bunch of terms of agreement, like you can't exceed a certain total miles within the term. I would go back and get a full disclosure on what the terms are on your lease. Personally, yes I wouldn't do anything more than a set of rims, I would keep the stock rims and put them back on when its time to return the car.
For a lease you can decide to keep the car though right? 0: do you think a lease is a good idea?

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
The terms of your lease will specify the amount you can buy the car for at the end of the lease. Depending on your locality, you may have to pay sales tax on the car again if you do.

If you plan to buy it at the end of the lease, mod it all you want.

If you are going to turn it in, don't do anything to the car that will make it less desirable to buyers. That's really the crux of it. The reason they charge you if you go over the agreed miles is because it makes the car worth less when they go to sell it. Any scratches, rips in the seats, etc. you get charged for because, again, they makes the car worth less. If you put aftermarket wheels on it, they'll probably charge you for that because most buyers want stock wheels, so that makes the car worth less. But something like tint isn't going to reduce the value of the vehicle when they go to sell it, so they're not going to charge you a penalty for having that on there.

Or, alternately, only do mods you can undo when you go to turn the car back in.

Whether a lease is a "good idea" is a personal thing. In strictly dollars and cents, no. Leasing costs more (sometimes a little more, sometimes a lot more). But getting a loan to buy a car also costs more than saving up and paying in all cash. And paying cash for a new car ultimately costs more than paying cash for a one or two year old used car. So there's always a better choice you could've made financially, but that has to be weighed against the intangible benefits, and that's why saying what's a "good idea" for a car is a personal thing.

I leased mine, and leased my last car, and am very happy with leasing.
Sponsored

Last edited: