Latest TSB for head unit update?

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I've had the bluetooth skipping issue for some time now since purchasing my 2016 Touring. I have to bring the car in tomorrow for a couple other unrelated things but remember seeing a TSB (16-022 maybe) that addressed this issue with an update of the head unit software. Is this still the latest (and correct) TSB to address this issue? I'm planning on just explaining the issue to the service advisor and hopefully the tech will find the right update to install, but just wanted to be armed with as much information as possible in the event I get an advisor or tech thats slightly lacking in info. Thanks.
Sponsored

fazekas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Service Bulletin 16-002 dated May 4, 2016 is the last update to infotainment unit. I was told approximately three weeks ago an "update is coming, but there is no estimated date of release" by the Honda customer care rep that is handling case for multiple glitches with my 2016 Touring Sedan infotainment unit. I get weekly calls from them. Very frustrated with Honda. My first Honda, and most likely last.

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I've had the bluetooth skipping issue for some time now since purchasing my 2016 Touring. I have to bring the car in tomorrow for a couple other unrelated things but remember seeing a TSB (16-022 maybe) that addressed this issue with an update of the head unit software. Is this still the latest (and correct) TSB to address this issue? I'm planning on just explaining the issue to the service advisor and hopefully the tech will find the right update to install, but just wanted to be armed with as much information as possible in the event I get an advisor or tech thats slightly lacking in info. Thanks.
The way "available updates" were explained to me recently was that they plug your car into the "computer" and your car "talks" to the computer and this is how it is determined what updates your car does and does not have and then the computer delivers whatever updates you need.

So, in your case, unless your car is a liar or not in the mood for talking, you should get the latest update if you do not have it if the above is true.

With all that said, it is strange that not all of us get the Bluetooth skipping. At the risk of jinxing myself, using Bluetooth is about the only reliable way I can listen to music in my 2016 Touring from my iPhone 6+. CarPlay crashes a lot for me until I completely reboot my iPhone and I have never been able to get my iPhone to work as an iPod despite others saying that you can.

RC

3seven1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
CarPlay crashes a lot for me until I completely reboot my iPhone and I have never been able to get my iPhone to work as an iPod despite others saying that you can.

RC
In my experience, when I plug in my phone to use it as an ipod, it says "Loading" and sits there for a while and then eventually plays. That is a pain in the ass and for that reason I don't use my phone as an ipod. Bluetooth is what I mainly use and i've only used car play a couple of times.

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
In my experience, when I plug in my phone to use it as an ipod, it says "Loading" and sits there for a while and then eventually plays. That is a pain in the ass and for that reason I don't use my phone as an ipod. Bluetooth is what I mainly use and i've only used car play a couple of times.
That is the same iPod behavior I see as well except I never get to to the "eventually plays" part. My drive to/from work is about 20-30 minutes and that is how long I have let it sit on the "Loading" screen. Been thinking all along that was due to me having a 35000+ Apple Music library.

And yes, with CarPlay being unreliable currently - Bluetooth has been working well for me too.

RC

3seven1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
That is the same iPod behavior I see as well except I never get to to the "eventually plays" part. My drive to/from work is about 20-30 minutes and that is how long I have let it sit on the "Loading" screen. Been thinking all along that was due to me having a 35000+ Apple Music library.

And yes, with CarPlay being unreliable currently - Bluetooth has been working well for me too.

RC
I only have about 1700 songs and it takes about 4-5 minutes to load. Too long in my opinion.

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I only have about 1700 songs and it takes about 4-5 minutes to load. Too long in my opinion.
Agreed.

Llets see, if I do a little 4th grade math...

"If Sally has 1700 songs on her phone and it takes 5 minutes to load, how long will it take Jon's iPhone to load if he has 35000 songs?"

At about 340 songs a minute that would take Jon's iPhone about 104-105 minutes to load 35000 songs. Seems reasonable.

RC

Dead Pool1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (Black on Black)
Agreed.

Llets see, if I do a little 4th grade math...

"If Sally has 1700 songs on her phone and it takes 5 minutes to load, how long will it take Jon's iPhone to load if he has 35000 songs?"

At about 340 songs a minute that would take Jon's iPhone about 104-105 minutes to load 35000 songs. Seems reasonable.

RC
The problem is normally not the amount of songs but due to the iphones network settings. There are a couple points to watch out for when having the long delay or sporadic crashes with iPod and Bluetooth.
1. check your notifications. If your crashing about every two minutes after plugging in then it may be apples notification. The Apple Music prompt wanting me to sign up or sign in kills my phone every two minutes. After turning off that notificastion it works fine.
2. Do you dream your music. Quality of steaming and tower reception play a part. But I found issues with my phone trying to authenticate my iCloud account. A reset network settings tends to fix this. There have been other iOS bugs related to network settings but they almost all are fixed by the reset. With a try.

Spaceboy88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
The problem is normally not the amount of songs but due to the iphones network settings. There are a couple points to watch out for when having the long delay or sporadic crashes with iPod and Bluetooth.
1. check your notifications. If your crashing about every two minutes after plugging in then it may be apples notification. The Apple Music prompt wanting me to sign up or sign in kills my phone every two minutes. After turning off that notificastion it works fine.
2. Do you dream your music. Quality of steaming and tower reception play a part. But I found issues with my phone trying to authenticate my iCloud account. A reset network settings tends to fix this. There have been other iOS bugs related to network settings but they almost all are fixed by the reset. With a try.
I'm finding that CarPlay is crashing almost immediately when plugging into my head unit and it seems that when this happens I have one of those Apple Maps notifications on my time to arrive to work. Is this a possible cause of why these crashes happen?

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm finding that CarPlay is crashing almost immediately when plugging into my head unit and it seems that when this happens I have one of those Apple Maps notifications on my time to arrive to work. Is this a possible cause of why these crashes happen?
I haven't seen a connection between notifications and crashing - and as mentioned by Dead Pool1, I turned off ALL the notifications and still had my CarPlay environment "crash" after about two minutes of connecting it.

Over the holidays I did a few things...

• I brought by 2016 Civic Touring in to Honda for the parking brake recall and mentioned the issues I was having with CarPlay. They tested it with a technicians phone and were unable to reproduce the problem(s) I am seeing.
  • I finally got around to trying my wife's iPhone 7 in my car. It worked great also.
So this leads me to believe that either a) it is iPhone model related or more to the point something with my iPhone or b) it is some bizarre setting that is causing this. Probably safe to say that neither my wife's phone or the Honda tech has done much in the way of customizing their phone / settings. At one point I did restore my iPhone 6+ but I don't know that I didn't start playing around with settings soon after. So it might be worth me trying to restore again and not play with any settings and see what happens.

And just for the heck of it I opened up a ticket with Apple on the issue. They didn't have anything new or insightful to suggest to fix it but did capture a bunch of troubleshooting information off my iPhone.

And on a somewhat related note, during my stop at Honda I also had they look at the subwoofer rattle and, like others have mentioned, used "tape" to fix the issue. Functions and sounds much better now. So anyone who is still living with the rattle should have Honda "fix" it for you under warranty.

RC

Spaceboy88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
I haven't seen a connection between notifications and crashing - and as mentioned by Dead Pool1, I turned off ALL the notifications and still had my CarPlay environment "crash" after about two minutes of connecting it.

Over the holidays I did a few things...

• I brought by 2016 Civic Touring in to Honda for the parking brake recall and mentioned the issues I was having with CarPlay. They tested it with a technicians phone and were unable to reproduce the problem(s) I am seeing.
  • I finally got around to trying my wife's iPhone 7 in my car. It worked great also.
So this leads me to believe that either a) it is iPhone model related or more to the point something with my iPhone or b) it is some bizarre setting that is causing this. Probably safe to say that neither my wife's phone or the Honda tech has done much in the way of customizing their phone / settings. At one point I did restore my iPhone 6+ but I don't know that I didn't start playing around with settings soon after. So it might be worth me trying to restore again and not play with any settings and see what happens.

And just for the heck of it I opened up a ticket with Apple on the issue. They didn't have anything new or insightful to suggest to fix it but did capture a bunch of troubleshooting information off my iPhone.

And on a somewhat related note, during my stop at Honda I also had they look at the subwoofer rattle and, like others have mentioned, used "tape" to fix the issue. Functions and sounds much better now. So anyone who is still living with the rattle should have Honda "fix" it for you under warranty.

RC
I'm having the issue on a 7 Plus - wondering if it's something with the Plus phones. I'm going to test disabling Maps notifications and see if that helps at all but not holding out high hopes. Assuming you're using iOS 10.2?

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm having the issue on a 7 Plus - wondering if it's something with the Plus phones. I'm going to test disabling Maps notifications and see if that helps at all but not holding out high hopes. Assuming you're using iOS 10.2?
Actually 10.2.1...

...but I am sitting here at my desk wondering if I should restore my iPhone again and get off the betas.

RC

Spaceboy88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Actually 10.2.1...

...but I am sitting here at my desk wondering if I should restore my iPhone again and get off the betas.

RC
I sat out the 10.2 beta cycle so am still on GM release of 10.2 and it's no better so doubt that'll help. Only thing that would be a good test would be to set your phone up as new otherwise a restore brings in the same settings you have now anyway.

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I sat out the 10.2 beta cycle so am still on GM release of 10.2 and it's no better so doubt that'll help. Only thing that would be a good test would be to set your phone up as new otherwise a restore brings in the same settings you have now anyway.
I am in the process of restoring right now. Am going to start from scratch. Should be able to test on my drive home tonight.

RC

Spaceboy88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
I am in the process of restoring right now. Am going to start from scratch. Should be able to test on my drive home tonight.

RC
Please keep me posted. If it's a setting and you can find the fix I will buy you a coffee!
Sponsored