takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Considering there has never been an auto Si. I find it highly unlikely that Honda will start now. The Si is not a high volume selling car. The costs associated with testing and the government regulations of adding an auto to the Si make it doubtful that it will happen. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the dct from the ilx added to the Si. I think it would be a fun car to drive, but in a manual transmission type of guy.
All Prelude Si's were available with an auto.
Sponsored

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Considering there has never been an auto Si. I find it highly unlikely that Honda will start now. The Si is not a high volume selling car. The costs associated with testing and the government regulations of adding an auto to the Si make it doubtful that it will happen. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the dct from the ilx added to the Si. I think it would be a fun car to drive, but in a manual transmission type of guy.
So in the past the Si is not considered a high volume car but why not now? With this new body style it screams sport. How about make the type r the new low volume niche car and make the Si more plentiful and for people who like a more sporty ride.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I would be happy if the Si and TypeR are manual only. Keeps the casual drivers from accidentally getting one and never using its boost/vtec.

NorCalRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Honda Civic Si Turbo, 2012 Vw Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2009Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4, 2001 Mazda Miata, 1963 Chevrolet Impala SS Wagon
All Prelude Si's were available with an auto.
Yes your right about the Prelude having an auto, but we aren't talking about the Prelude Si. We are talking about the Civic Si. Two completely different cars.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Yes your right about the Prelude having an auto, but we aren't talking about the Prelude Si. We are talking about the Civic Si. Two completely different cars.
You said "Si" previously, just a reminder that "Si" did in fact come with auto. I believe the Civic del Sol Si could be had with auto also, therefore since the Civic del sol is a "Civic" and is a "Si"....

Since the Prelude is gone, I think it's time Honda offered a Si auto again.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You said "Si" previously, just a reminder that "Si" did in fact come with auto. I believe the Civic del Sol Si could be had with auto also, therefore since the Civic del sol is a "Civic" and is a "Si"....

Hmm yeah I seem to remember that Del Sol. Of course the automatic was not used in the del sol DOHC VTEC Si...because automatic sucks in cars of this level.

NorCalRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Honda Civic Si Turbo, 2012 Vw Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2009Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4, 2001 Mazda Miata, 1963 Chevrolet Impala SS Wagon
I'm almost 90% positive that there was no Si Del Sol with an auto transmission in the Us. I personally have owned 1 of every Honda Si car model(in either coupe, hatchback or sedan form) since they started making them except for the 9th generation. That includes Preludes as well. I will research the auto Del Sol now because I'm really curious to see if your right.

Last edited:

NorCalRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Your right they did have an auto del sol S and Si, no auto on the b series del sol though. That's where I was confused. Thank you for clarifying it.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I almost forgot about that car, and I used to work at a Honda dealer back then.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
I would be happy if the Si and TypeR are manual only. Keeps the casual drivers from accidentally getting one and never using its boost/vtec.
What would be wrong if a casual driver got their hands on one tho - ruin the reputation of the car because they never use utilize vtec? I don't worry about how they make the car for someone else, only that they make one that's good for me. Doesnt bother me if they offer it in auto/DCT and more people in general buy the car, as long as they make it in manual and give it a 2.0L Turbo. :thumbsup:

dirtybird222

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 STI, 1994 Accord Chumpcar
So in the past the Si is not considered a high volume car but why not now? With this new body style it screams sport. How about make the type r the new low volume niche car and make the Si more plentiful and for people who like a more sporty ride.
I enjoy the fact Honda has kept cars like the Si and S2000 manual only. It keeps to their sporty roots and makes them truly drivers cars. If you want an auto, just go buy the 1.5T and play around with that or go across the street to an Acura dealership where they have the DCT already in the ILX and TLX. And for that reason I think Honda will not offer a DCT in the Si because they will put it in their upmarket Acura variant.

I also love the fact they are manual only because I can show up to a dealer and not have to worry about hoping the one I want is auto. Or searching used. When I was in the F-body scene and searching for an LS1 equipped Trans Am, it's like oooh that ones perfect...oh wait nope. Auto. Groce m8.

To each their own though. Hopefully your wish comes true.

dirtybird222

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 STI, 1994 Accord Chumpcar
I'm also slightly bummed on this timeframe. I know you guys will be able to see the CTR race in the continental tires sports car championship come January. Most of the teams that ran the 9th gen Si will be converting to the Civic Type R this season.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Neither meets Honda's aspirations to exceed CAFE standards. So not likely to change in the near future.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What "level"?? You're not gonna start that "purist" b.s., are you?
Hah no I mean this level meaning affordable to many. It's a hopped economy car. The auto in an m3 or gtr makes sense because they're up near 500 hp.
Of course , we all know the gtr transmission is the weak point...
I guess what I mean is how good can the automatic be in a sub $30k car? VW can't get it right. (That said I haven't tried the newest generation of dsg...maybe they got it right. )
Sponsored

Last edited: