Lacking Character - My (long) Si Review

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
To each their own it course, but to me long-term reliability (even if projected) plays such a big role that I don't even want to test-drive the Ford...
Believe me, I understand. I have a 2010 Fusion alongside my 2010 TSX, and the Ford is good, but simply isn't engineered or built to the same standard. We've had it for less than two years, and it's already given me more trouble than the TSX I've had for almost eight years -- and the TSX has 40k more miles!

But I'd consider a Focus ST anyway, for a few reasons: (1) Ford has improved generally since my Fusion was built; (2) the Focus ST is in its fifth model year, so most issues have been worked out; and (3) it's a freakin' blast to drive!

I would never, and I mean NEVER consider a first model year Ford, and I'd ideally wait for the third model year. I'd avoid the first model year from any company including Honda, though Hondas present much less risk IMO.
Sponsored

Ethan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3 GT 6 speed
Looks like any performance mods will require us to budget for a Clutch.

Jessegovols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda CRV EXL, 2004 Acura TSX Manual Previous: 92 Mazda MX6 GT, 93 Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4, 99 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I object to the MASSIVE BODY CLADDING on the Si AND the Hatch. Utterly and unforgivably a full out NO for me. I have a coupe Ex-T and paid about 20K for new / 1.9% financing ... for purchase price and utility ... I win!!!
So true. The Sedan from the rear is hideous.

Jessegovols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda CRV EXL, 2004 Acura TSX Manual Previous: 92 Mazda MX6 GT, 93 Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4, 99 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I agree with so many of your points. Aside from the way over styled ugly rear of the Si sedan the interior just looks cheap. The fabrics actually look and feel worse than last gen Si. When one looks at how Hyundai did on their Elantra Sport Turbo, it really has me confused as to how the Si ended up so bland on the inside. People talk about the Si like it is some great bargain but it's not really for what you get. For a lower price on the Elantra Sport you get so much more minus the LSD which unless you track your car will hardly notice.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lacking Character - My (long) Si Review 2017-elantra-ang-2-sport-black

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
I know its your opinion but I don't agree with your statement that the 10th gen SI interior is cheap. 9th gen is cheap, 10th gen is vastly improved and quiet. I'm not sure what you're used too but I'm sure you're in the minority. 10thgen civic isn't one of the highest rated cars on the road for nothing and rated so by the multiple awards its received. To also say that you don't notice the LSD unless you track it also shows how misinformed you are.

Hyundai? They've come along way but its still a Hyundai and doesn't hold value whatsoever, not compared to the civic in general or SI at least. That interior to me looks cheap and bland.

I agree with so many of your points. Aside from the way over styled ugly rear of the Si sedan the interior just looks cheap. The fabrics actually look and feel worse than last gen Si. When one looks at how Hyundai did on their Elantra Sport Turbo, it really has me confused as to how the Si ended up so bland on the inside. People talk about the Si like it is some great bargain but it's not really for what you get. For a lower price on the Elantra Sport you get so much more minus the LSD which unless you track your car will hardly notice.

2017-elantra-ang-2-sport-black.jpg

Redglare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 si, 11' z34.

2017-elantra-ang-2-sport-black.jpg
I was curious on the elantra and it does 0-60 in 7.1, the Si will do that about 1 second faster - probably aggressive gearing/lsd in the Si accounting for it, oh and 100 lbs lighter.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I know its your opinion but I don't agree with your statement that the 10th gen SI interior is cheap.
The cloth bits in the center console and doors of the 10th Si screams CHEAP - its the same in all non leather 10th gen Civics. At least the 9th gen cloth bits like in the door sides were styled a bit differently and better than the average cloth trim Civics of that genre. The cloth seating fabric is another aspect where some might say the 9th gen was a bit better but I think that's more on preference. If only they had continued the leather trim from the sterring wheel/shifter to the center console and doors, the 10th gen Si would be a whole lot less cheap feeling inside.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There's more hard plastic in the Elantra than the civic. The armrest in the 9th was horrible as well as the fabric on the seats. It was thin and brittle. The 10th gen armrest while being thin is built more sturdy and slightly thicker. Can it be better? Yes. You can replace the center piece for $200 total for leather sides and armrest. Problem solved if it's that big of a deal. This isn't based off a touring trim. The value is there for what it is. Look how cheap those door panels and handle looks on the Elantra.

No one complained about how cheap an EX looked but now all of a sudden people do on the SI when that's the base it builds from. Kind of ironic.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The armrest in the 9th was horrible as well as the fabric on the seats. It was thin and brittle.
The padding might not have been great on the armrest but after 5+ years my 9th gen Si cloth looked perfectly black and didn't show any wear on them. The 10th gen cloth cheap bits people are already complaining about them turning grayish after a few months. The headliner on the other hand, that was beyond atrocious from day 1 in the 9th gen (I think they fixed it a bit in later year models), but since its not a wear item it didn't get any worse (not sure if that's a good or bad thing since it was just plain stupid cheap to begin with).

No one complained about how cheap an EX looked but now all of a sudden people do on the SI when that's the base it builds from.
Uh - time to open your eyes. People have been complaining about the cheap cloth in the EX too showing signs of wear, especially the center console which is the worse offender.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I haven't seen it much to be honest. Doesnt mean it's not happening though. I had a 9th gen fo 3 years. Armrest was weak, wobbly and gray after just a few weeks. So I guess it's just a matter of who it happens to. Easy fix for me though. $200 and it's leather. But it's an ex base built up from that. Going to be compromises whatever car you're in. Ill take a faded armrest with a solid car that holds its value with mostly soft touch material over that Hyundai any day. Wife had a Kia Optima. We bought it brand new in 2014. Beautiful car. Bought for 26k. 1 year later worth 12k. Ridiculous. Hyundai/Kia same brand. I'll never own another.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
It may look goofy, but I keep a towel on my Si and a sock on my Ridgeline to protect the armrests. "Leather" (vinyl) or fabric, cheap or expensive - they ALL wear eventually.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lacking Character - My (long) Si Review FullSizeRender

Honda Civic 10th gen Lacking Character - My (long) Si Review IMG_7025.JPG

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The honda parts network. I think it was 26,27 and 32 of the armrest section.

Now there's a sight to behold - a cloth sock on a leather seat's armrest... o_O:D

How, get the respective parts from EX-L or just custom work/cover?

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It may look goofy, but I keep a towel on my Si and a sock on my Ridgeline to protect the armrests. "Leather" (vinyl) or fabric, cheap or expensive - they ALL wear eventually.
Leather cleaner/conditioner used regularly will keep your Ridgeline looking great... but that Si cloth console is beyond saving if you remove that towel. And that's as clear a picture as any that screams of the cheapness of some of the cloth bits... the seats are MUCH better, that console cloth is an utter disgrace.

Hmm - looking at the Type-R, I think they should have just used that material for the Si console and door - its cloth but much better than the stupid stuff from regular Civics. Those might be the parts to order if you're planning a DIY fix for the Si (although I suppose the doors will likely be different and won't fit since its the hatch doors).
Sponsored

Last edited: