EX-T CVT: kTuner Calibration

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Hi All,

Thought I would start this and upload calibrations for input and just general conversation.

I've started of with Starter stage 21 - CVT - A67 Software

With following changes

1. Setup BBG for CVT cars
2. IAT corrections per ktuner for more stable knock control
  • Yes. Honda deliberately left knock control to handle intake air temperature changes, rather than pulling a standard amount of timing like they've done on previous platforms. You can actually set this up, as I have, or if you're working with Vit or other tuners they've likely already done it for you.

With a tune file open find Ignition Corrections in the list on the left. Hit the plus to expand and find IAT Ignition. Here's how I have mine set for both load settings, and we've seen some extreme temperatures this year here in Arizona, so I'm taking full advantage. My IATs have been around 160 on the Si lately in the afternoon.

IAT(F) 95 122 167 194 212
    Corr 0 1 1.5 2 3

My knock control stays fairly steady between .48 and .56 and I beat the car up pretty badly on a regular basis... for testing purposes, of course.

Also, Hello.
3. Early Spool
4. All quick adjustments on aggressive II

What do you guys think of the BBG setup for CVT? Nothing else has been changed.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi All,

Thought I would start this and upload calibrations for input and just general conversation.

I've started of with stage 21 - CVT

With following changes

3. Early

Change .zip extension to .kcl
can you explain 2. what is IAT and how did you corrected, and what source did you find this from?

OP
OP
d1zguy

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
can you explain 2. what is IAT and how did you corrected, and what source did you find this from?
Yes. Honda deliberately left knock control to handle intake air temperature changes, rather than pulling a standard amount of timing like they've done on previous platforms. You can actually set this up, as I have, or if you're working with Vit or other tuners they've likely already done it for you.

With a tune file open find Ignition Corrections in the list on the left. Hit the plus to expand and find IAT Ignition. Here's how I have mine set for both load settings, and we've seen some extreme temperatures this year here in Arizona, so I'm taking full advantage. My IATs have been around 160 on the Si lately in the afternoon.

IAT(F) 95 122 167 194 212
Corr 0 1 1.5 2 3

My knock control stays fairly steady between .48 and .56 and I beat the car up pretty badly on a regular basis... for testing purposes, of course.

Also, Hello.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As long as you aren't uploading cals from Vit. Plus cals are all different on each car. No car is going to run the same on each calibration.

OP
OP
d1zguy

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
As long as you aren't uploading cals from Vit. Plus cals are all different on each car. No car is going to run the same on each calibration.
Who says I'm uploading cals from Vit. That is a given. This is starter 21 base with only those changes. BBG maps apply to all cars across the board, and I am asking thoughts on the map. Please read posts more carefully in the future and if something is not understood please ask instead of assuming.

I'm building this to run 87 octane if there's ever a want or need. While keeping my 93 octane custom tune by Vit.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Who says I'm uploading cals from Vit. That is a given. This is starter 21 base with only those changes. BBG maps apply to all cars across the board, and I am asking thoughts on the map. Please read posts more carefully in the future and if something is not understood please ask instead of assuming.

I'm building this to run 87 octane if there's ever a want or need. While keeping my 93 octane custom tune by Vit.
you should be able to run the 93 octane tune with 87octane with no problem. the knock sensor should adjust accordingly to it

OP
OP
d1zguy

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
you should be able to run the 93 octane tune with 87octane with no problem. the knock sensor should adjust accordingly to it
See I asked Vit and he said "I would avoid 87 with this tune lol" and I concur but thought I would ask anyway. there was a good reason for that. Maybe he had to change the values of ignition that translate to knock control tables that won't allow the ECU to retard timing as needed effectively or safely for 87 octane. But I'm just assuming. It could just be that the knock would be too much for the engine as the ECU attempts to retard the timing. As I do remember seeing 60ish degrees of advance BTDC, a knock at that load and advance on 87 octane probably isn't the smartest. Whereas the stage II rides on 39-45 degrees.

This really isn't my first rodeo with cars. However, tuning torque based ECU's is something I am not very well versed at but understand what it takes and how it works and know enough to know where to stop or not deal with it hence why I purchased a tune from Vit. This stuff is not easy to learn and even harder to be proficient and great at. However, I would like to learn as a hobby and for fun.

Anyway that is beyond this topic. I'm just asking what everyone thinks of the values or drive feel from the BBG map I created. As I am used to car communities that encourage these talks when open source tuning solutions are available. (although ktuner is not open source to end users only to protuners like Vit)

Last edited:

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
See I asked Vit and he said "I would avoid 87 with this tune lol" and I concur but thought I would ask anyway. there was a good reason for that. Maybe he had to change the values of ignition that translate to knock control tables that won't allow the ECU to retard timing as needed effectively or safely for 87 octane. But I'm just assuming. It could just be that the knock would be too much for the engine as the ECU attempts to retard the timing. As I do remember seeing 60ish degrees of advance BTDC, a knock at that load and advance on 87 octane probably isn't the smartest. Whereas the stage II rides on 39-45 degrees.

This really isn't my first rodeo with cars. However, tuning torque based ECU's is something I am not very well versed at but understand what it takes and how it works and know enough to know where to stop or not deal with it hence why I purchased a tune from Vit. This stuff is not easy to learn and even harder to be proficient and great at. However, I would like to learn as a hobby and for fun.

Anyway that is beyond this topic. I'm just asking what everyone thinks of the values or drive feel from the BBG map I created. As I am used to car communities that encourage these talks when open source tuning solutions are available. (although ktuner is not open source to end users only to protuners like Vit)
Well i was thinking more of a last result option if 87 was the only thing you could get. you could run/drive it normally without beating on the engine.

BBG you only need to adjust that on first gear if you are breaking loose the tires. its a bit hard to set that up for everyone. since most people are running different tires and road condition. you could do a log on your custom tune to see what the boost levels are at and copy it over to this new 87 map or just copy it over from your custom tune if the tables are open to you

OP
OP
d1zguy

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Well i was thinking more of a last result option if 87 was the only thing you could get. you could run/drive it normally without beating on the engine.

BBG you only need to adjust that on first gear if you are breaking loose the tires. its a bit hard to set that up for everyone. since most people are running different tires and road condition. you could do a log on your custom tune to see what the boost levels are at and copy it over to this new 87 map or just copy it over from your custom tune if the tables are open to you
VIT's tune files are locked while anything can be reversed engineered if desired I'm not interested in just copying. I've already got a good idea. Lower boost between 2800-3800 rpm for 1st, 2nd and 3rd to protect the CVT then a bit more below 2800, and more from 3800 on up.

simon_lefisch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hi All,

I've started of with Starter stage 21 - CVT - A67 Software

With following changes

3. Early Spool

I was actually looking around to see if anyone had base settings that I could use for BBG and then I found this. Thanks for sharing! I can use this as a base for my tune and adjust as necessary :thumbsup:

Julioext

First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ext 2018 sedan CVT
Country flag
Idk if Im doing it right thats all ive done and also checked the early spool box, is this okay? I have a cvt and don't wanna break it

Honda Civic 10th gen EX-T CVT: kTuner Calibration 20190316_101313

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Perfectly fine setup. It's aggressive, but all the quick adjustments are just for various degrees of driveability changes and proven safe for the CVT.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
@Julioext
Yes. Perfectly fine.
Do understand that by setting the RAMP higher, you suffer in fuel economy.
Great setting though for more bump in stop and go / city driving or when wanting immediate responsiveness.

Julioext

First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ext 2018 sedan CVT
Country flag
@Julioext
Yes. Perfectly fine.
Do understand that by setting the RAMP higher, you suffer in fuel economy.
Great setting though for more bump in stop and go / city driving or when wanting immediate responsiveness.
Thanks! Another question about the RAMP I do not fully understand it, what would happen if I disable it or bring it down to agressive I?
Sponsored