Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Hello fellow Civic X enthusiasts,

*UPDATE*
Thank you to everyone that tested and provided feedback. This is officially available today from the KTuner downloads page as an update.

Some testers noted that the aggressive on/off throttle without any rev hang was a bit much for their driving style, so we've also included a new Throttle Padding Quick Adjustment which allows for a medium and soft throttle padding setting beyond the standard one.

We're also testing these settings on CVT to aid with decel and may make that available if the feedback is good. Thanks everyone!
*END UPDATE*

It brings us great pleasure to announce a resolution to one of the most annoying issues plaguing all manual Civics... "Rev Hang". You all know what I'm talking about. This has been one of the most mentioned/asked about items we've seen to date!

Honda Civic 10th gen KTuner: It's Official... Rev Hang Defeated CivXRevHangFactory

After the throttle has been released completely the throttle plate is commanded to stay open a nominal percentage and slowly come back down to a point where idle control takes over. The blue arrows show the Throttle Plate Command decent after the throttle has been released.

At higher RPM after the clutch has been engaged there is a slight upswing in RPM (Red Arrow) due to the throttle remaining open this way. At lower RPM it may just hang at that RPM before RPM starts to decent. This creates the sensation of "Rev Hang", a nickname that has been rightly assigned to this behavior.

We have eliminated this behavior by adding a simple checkbox within the KTuner software.
Honda Civic 10th gen KTuner: It's Official... Rev Hang Defeated CivXRevHangRemoved

The blue arrow points out that the TPS and Throttle Plate take an almost identical path after the throttle has been released. With clutch engagement there is no longer a kick upward or hanging of the RPM beyond normal inertia. It is an immediate kick into high vacuum which slows things down and with this higher vacuum this will decelerate the vehicle faster as well.

We have tried several different approaches to rev hang removal and feel this latest iteration is the least invasive approach to the way the overall system works together. It requires no other adjustments to settings and works well with all of our quick adjustments. It makes shifting in regular and aggressive situations much more natural, like it should be.

As expected with higher vacuum it does make the transition into deceleration more aggressive and going from deceleration back into normal operation more aggressive as well.

With this great news we'd like to open this feature up to the Civic X community for user feedback today with a beta version. If you're interested in providing feedback for any of our supported manual transmission CivicX ECUs - Si, Civic 1.5T MT, and Civic 2.0 MT, please contact us directly at [email protected]

And for those of you who don't have a manual transmission, we're working on plenty of other options for this platform. Stay tuned!

Thanks for your support!
KTuner

Last edited:

Metal_Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
This sounds awesome!! I will now be seriously thinking about trading in my CVT Sport for a 6MT...if I'm lucky enough to find one!

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura TLX Type-S / 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Awesome!! one of the things I was waiting for!!

Can't wait to see what else you guys are cooking up @KTuner @VitViper :thumbsup::hmm:

Last edited:

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I was just driving my SI home today, and thought about how strange it was that my car didn't seem to slow down right away when downshifting. If anything, it seem to continue at the same speed for several seconds. This was a sharp contrast to my Prelude, in which I can control my speed very precisely just by shifting. This sounds like one of the few remaining pieces needed to permanently retire the 'lude in favor of my SI!

Last edited:

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe ABM, 2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
Hello fellow Civic X enthusiasts,

It brings us great pleasure to announce a resolution to one of the most annoying issues plaguing all manual Civics... "Rev Hang". You all know what I'm talking about. This has been one of the most mentioned/asked about items we've seen to date!

CivXRevHangFactory.jpg

After the throttle has been released completely the throttle plate is commanded to stay open a nominal percentage and slowly come back down to a point where idle control takes over. The blue arrows show the Throttle Plate Command decent after the throttle has been released.

At higher RPM after the clutch has been engaged there is a slight upswing in RPM (Red Arrow) due to the throttle remaining open this way. At lower RPM it may just hang at that RPM before RPM starts to decent. This creates the sensation of "Rev Hang", a nickname that has been rightly assigned to this behavior.

We have eliminated this behavior by adding a simple checkbox within the KTuner software.
CivXRevHangRemoved.jpg

The blue arrow points out that the TPS and Throttle Plate take an almost identical path after the throttle has been released. With clutch engagement there is no longer a kick upward or hanging of the RPM beyond normal inertia. It is an immediate kick into high vacuum which slows things down and with this higher vacuum this will decelerate the vehicle faster as well.

We have tried several different approaches to rev hang removal and feel this latest iteration is the least invasive approach to the way the overall system works together. It requires no other adjustments to settings and works well with all of our quick adjustments. It makes shifting in regular and aggressive situations much more natural, like it should be.

As expected with higher vacuum it does make the transition into deceleration more aggressive and going from deceleration back into normal operation more aggressive as well.

With this great news we'd like to open this feature up to the Civic X community for user feedback today with a beta version. If you're interested in providing feedback for any of our supported manual transmission CivicX ECUs - Si, Civic 1.5T MT, and Civic 2.0 MT, please contact us directly at [email protected]

And for those of you who don't have a manual transmission, we're working on plenty of other options for this platform. Stay tuned!

Thanks for your support!
KTuner
Email sent guys, thanks for the awesome work!!

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Do you think that it would be possible to swap to a Single Mass Flywheel in the future, to further decrease the remaining rev hang?
Yes, but it will require disabling the misfire detection system which will make you non-compliant when it comes to emissions (will fail a readiness test). Thank the EPA for that bullshit.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Yes, but it will require disabling the misfire detection system which will make you non-compliant when it comes to emissions (will fail a readiness test). Thank the EPA for that bullshit.
Man, that blows. Surely there must be other dual mass flywheels lighter in weight than ours though?
Sponsored