Keeping radio on after shutting car off...

Whimsey12000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring MSM
Country flag
Hi, hope someone knows if there is a setting I am missing? I would love to have the radio stay on after I shut off the car. My last vehicle did this until either I opened the drivers door or after 10 mins it would shut off automatically. Any ideas?
Sponsored

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Using the start/stop button without touching the brake will engage the accessory function. page 96 in the manual

If the car is running you will have to turn the car off normally then, without touching the brake, push the start/stop button.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hi, hope someone knows if there is a setting I am missing? I would love to have the radio stay on after I shut off the car. My last vehicle did this until either I opened the drivers door or after 10 mins it would shut off automatically. Any ideas?
Also according to the owners guide, when turning off the engine, pressing the start/stop button when the shift lever is not in park will put the car directly into accessory mode.

I haven't tried this myself, as turning off the car when the shift lever is not in park sounds counter-intuitive. I'd probably use the method posted by CdnColin above (turn the car off normally, then press stop/start without depressing the brake pedal).

I wish the default was to go into accessory mode whenever the car is turned off, for 10 minutes or until the drivers door is opened (like your and my old vehicle). Perhaps a future software update will address this?

Has anyone experienced the 'no audio' issue in accessory mode?

Last edited:

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Also according to the owners guide, when turning off the engine, pressing the start/stop button when the shift lever is not in park will put the car directly into accessory mode.
Thanks! I can't wait to try this. Sometimes you pull in the garage and you just want to finish that song you are listening to before getting out of the car. If you're streaming or using anything besides FM or Satellite, and you stop and restart into accessory, the phone has to re-sync bluetooth or HondaLink, which is an annoying several second pause not worth the re-entering into accessory mode.

I do hope this only works when the car is not moving though. I'd hate to think accidentally hitting the start/stop button while driving down the highway would actually put the into accessory mode!

nboyanov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
The dealer mentioned that the engine can be turned off while the car is moving..obviously I haven't tested it though. Something about double tapping the start/stop button to turn it back on..I'm sure it's in the manual.

Regarding keeping the radio on after stopping the engine, I would also love to know if we can do this. My dad's Chevy Volt does this and turns off radio when you open the door.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I tried this today. The car does go into accessory mode if turned off when not in park, however, it does turn off as soon as you put it in park. So if you want to sit and listen to your jams before getting out, you'll have to get in the habit of keeping your foot on the brake or setting it in neutral and putting on the parking break until you ultimately put it in park to completely turn off the car.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I tried this today. The car does go into accessory mode if turned off when not in park, however, it does turn off as soon as you put it in park. So if you want to sit and listen to your jams before getting out, you'll have to get in the habit of keeping your foot on the brake or setting it in neutral and putting on the parking break until you ultimately put it in park to completely turn off the car.
My experience has been slightly different. In my case, I parked the car, shifted to neutral, engaged the parking brake (kept my foot on the brake to be safe), and then turned the engine off by pressing the stop/start button. The engine stopped, the radio stayed on, and a message appeared reminding me to shift into park. When I shifted into park, the radio stayed on. I can't remember exactly what happened next, I think instructions appeared, saying that I can turn off accessories mode by pressing stop/start twice. Note that I only did this once, not sure if the exact same thing will happen next time.

Opening the drivers door didn't turn off accessories mode, although assumably if I got out and walked away, the car would shut down accessories mode and lock the doors. I haven't tested this yet.

Last edited:

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I tried this Friday for shits and giggles and it worked. If I remember right, I had my foot on the brake while in drive having just stopped in the driveway. I hit the start button and shifted into Park, took all of 1/2 second and felt very intuitive. The engine stopped and the tunes kept playing. Lukas Graham's 7 years was on so I had to let it finish.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmm... I wonder why mine turns off as soon as it's shifted into park. Everything else seems the same, except I can't shift into park and keep accessory on.

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When running Android Auto (can't speak for Apple), if you turn the car off, and then immediately hold the START/STOP button for a second, it will cut off for a second, but will come back in accessory mode right where you were. Unfortunately, when you restart the car (i.e. painfully slow drive thru), the connection is lost again, and it has to re-pair.

A bit different than the original discussion, but I think still valid since the post hasn't covered these engine stop/start situations yet.

As for continuous play, it does it when I stop the engine while in gear with the brake on, or with brake hold set. With brake hold set, the parking brake automatically sets too.
Sponsored