K&N

AsianGuy98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Anyone using a K&N drop in filter? If so is the part # 33-5044? And pros and cons? TIA
Sponsored

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Pros
  • K&N makes money from the sale of the filter
  • Placement of a K&N decal on your rear window becomes appropriate
  • K&N gets free advertising due to the placement of said decal

Cons
  • Potential contamination of your MAF sensor due to oil and fibers
  • Decreased ability to trap smaller particles resulting in increased engine wear

On a more serious note, the "paper" filter included with the vehicle provides more than adequate air flow for the engine while providing sufficient protection from abrasive debris. If a K&N filter would gain even 1 HP or 1 MPG while maintaining sufficient levels of protection, manufacturers would provide them from the factory.

Last edited:

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
I dunno...I have one in my 9th gen Si (soon to be replaced by a 10th gen)...and my gas mileage seems to have increased. I can squeeze 38 mpg on the daily commute...maybe it's all in my head, but that has been my experience.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
Pros
  • K&N makes money from the sale of the filter
  • Placement of a K&N decal on your rear window becomes appropriate
  • K&N gets free advertising due to the placement of said decal

Cons
  • Potential contamination of your MAF sensor due to oil and fibers
  • Decreased ability to trap smaller particles resulting in increased engine wear

On a more serious note, the "paper" filter included with the vehicle provides more than adequate air flow for the engine while providing sufficient protection from abrasive debris. If a K&N filter would gain even 1 HP or 1 MPG while maintaining sufficient levels of protection, manufacturers would provide them from the factory.
I'd agree if people havent put hundreds of thousands of miles on their cars with K&N filters and never had an issue. Getting Oil on your MAF is your fault for not for not oiling properly.

Also back up your "not gaining any power or MPG" claim. I love seeing people spouting this shit but never can back it up. OEM's don't use it because cleaning and oiling a filter is harder to put in a manual than just replacing one, and it would cost them more than just a paper filter. Their is no gain for OEM's with them. They make money from having to sell and replace them.

Dynos showing some gains:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13245
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/k-n-afe-and-stock-air-filter-dyno-results.811070/

Last edited:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd agree if people havent put hundreds of thousands of miles on their cars with K&N filters and never had an issue. Getting Oil on your MAF is your fault for not for not oiling properly.

Also back up your "not gaining any power or MPG" claim. I love seeing people spouting this shit but never can back it up. OEM's don't use it because cleaning and oiling a filter is harder to put in a manual than just replacing one, and it would cost them more than just a paper filter. Their is no gain for OEM's with them. They make money from having to sell and replace them.

Dynos showing some gains:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13245
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/k-n-afe-and-stock-air-filter-dyno-results.811070/
For every person or article that expresses an opinion, personal experience, or provides empirical evidence for K&N filters, there is another source of evidence against them.

Here's an example: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

It is true that Honda and their dealers make money from selling and replacing filters. Guess what the folks at K&N do? They make money from selling supplies to degrease and re-oil the filters they sell.

Unless you make other modifications to your engine that require more air flow than the OEM filter can provide, you're better off using the OEM or equal filter. The OEM filter is less than $20 list, requires no time and mess to clean and degrease, provides more effective filtration, and allows the engine to meet or exceed its advertised horsepower, torque, and fuel economy ratings. It also avoids any potential warranty issues related to choice of air filter.

If your goal is to provide the lowest intake air restriction possible with little or no concern about long engine life, then just run an open intake with no filter at all like drag cars do. :)

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
For every person or article that expresses an opinion, personal experience, or provides empirical evidence for K&N filters, there is another source of evidence against them.

Here's an example: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
Those tests really don't say anything. There is nothing other than "well its a 3.1% difference vs the best of filtering filter vs K&N" but there is also no thing mentioned as to how, if at all the effects the car long term.

Even Ford Racing sells oiled air filters with all their Ford Racing Intakes, so obviously the difference is not enough to void any warranty over or change any of their engines longevity enough for their engineers to fret over. Even Mugan filters are Oil based filters. They are re-branded AFE.

Your arguing the difference between possibly 700K miles and 720K.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Those tests really don't say anything. There is nothing other than "well its a 3.1% difference vs the best of filtering filter vs K&N" but there is also no thing mentioned as to how, if at all the effects the car long term.

Even Ford Racing sells oiled air filters with all their Ford Racing Intakes, so obviously the difference is not enough to void any warranty over or change any of their engines longevity enough for their engineers to fret over. Even Mugan filters are Oil based filters. They are re-branded AFE.

Your arguing the difference between possibly 700K miles and 720K.
And then there's this:

Engine Protection Limited Warranty
Unlike many companies, our warranty for O/E replacement air filters and intake systems does extend beyond the replacement of a defective K&N part. For the original purchaser of the product, our warranty covers any engine damage or related costs incurred as a direct result of the use of a properly installed and maintained K&N O/E automotive replacement air filter or intake system on the specific vehicle for which the product was designed to be used by K&N. This includes reasonable vehicle repair costs directly related to an engine problem caused by the failure of a K&N product. Furthermore, we warrant that using our product will not result in a vehicle warranty denial. K&N will not be responsible for any indirect, consequential, special, contingent, or other damages not listed above.

We will promptly reimburse the consumer for the cost of the repair if a service provider denies warranty coverage as a result of a K&N product or claims that a K&N product has caused harm to your engine or vehicle. In order to receive reimbursement, we require each of the following:

1. The consumer must provide a written statement or repair order from the dealership or service provider in which the dealership or service provider blames the problem or warranty denial on a K&N product.
  2. The service provider or consumer must provide K&N with all allegedly damaged parts. Many states have laws that require a service provider to retain all parts replaced during a vehicle repair, unless given consent to dispose of the parts by the consumer. K&N will pay the shipping cost to recover these parts.
  3. The consumer must provide proof of purchase of the K&N product along with cooperation in helping us investigate the claim.
Once these steps have been completed, K&N will contact the service provider and collect evidence to support their claim. In the event we are not provided with sufficient evidence, we reserve the right to reject the claim and will use our best efforts to assist in establishing your rights toward the service provider under warranty or other provisions.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And then there's this:

Engine Protection Limited Warranty
Unlike many companies, our warranty for O/E replacement air filters and intake systems does extend beyond the replacement of a defective K&N part. For the original purchaser of the product, our warranty covers any engine damage or related costs incurred as a direct result of the use of a properly installed and maintained K&N O/E automotive replacement air filter or intake system on the specific vehicle for which the product was designed to be used by K&N. This includes reasonable vehicle repair costs directly related to an engine problem caused by the failure of a K&N product. Furthermore, we warrant that using our product will not result in a vehicle warranty denial. K&N will not be responsible for any indirect, consequential, special, contingent, or other damages not listed above.

We will promptly reimburse the consumer for the cost of the repair if a service provider denies warranty coverage as a result of a K&N product or claims that a K&N product has caused harm to your engine or vehicle. In order to receive reimbursement, we require each of the following:

1. The consumer must provide a written statement or repair order from the dealership or service provider in which the dealership or service provider blames the problem or warranty denial on a K&N product.
  2. The service provider or consumer must provide K&N with all allegedly damaged parts. Many states have laws that require a service provider to retain all parts replaced during a vehicle repair, unless given consent to dispose of the parts by the consumer. K&N will pay the shipping cost to recover these parts.
  3. The consumer must provide proof of purchase of the K&N product along with cooperation in helping us investigate the claim.
Once these steps have been completed, K&N will contact the service provider and collect evidence to support their claim. In the event we are not provided with sufficient evidence, we reserve the right to reject the claim and will use our best efforts to assist in establishing your rights toward the service provider under warranty or other provisions.
You've never been involved in a product liability litigation, have you? ;)

Pepper's Dad

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 2000 Honda Civic Ex 2007 Lincoln Towncar
Country flag
There are also dryflow high performance filters out there. I have an AFE one in a 2012 Chevy V8 pickup. I doubt if there is any noticible performance gain, but I never have to buy another filter. Just clean this one every year or so.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
FWIW - I've totally overoiled my cone filter in the intake of my 9th gen Si and never had any MAF issues. Besides, MAF cleaner is a few bucks and a simple DIY job. Anyone worried about their engines with these filters don't know their cars enough.

The blow by contamination is a far bigger concern IMO - and yet manufacturers don't built catch cans and AOS systems for their direct injection engines.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You've never been involved in a product liability litigation, have you? ;)
No, and yeah...I know...loopholes, loopholes, loopholes.... That being said, I've had K&N on my '15 Si and also my car before that, and haven't had a single issue. My mileage *did* increase a bit after putting it in... Folks are doing the Hondata mod, etc., which I would think runs a bigger risk of damage (if you can't keep your foot out of it). I'm no mechanic, however, so I don't know much :)

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
FWIW - I've totally overoiled my cone filter in the intake of my 9th gen Si and never had any MAF issues. Besides, MAF cleaner is a few bucks and a simple DIY job. Anyone worried about their engines with these filters don't know their cars enough.

The blow by contamination is a far bigger concern IMO - and yet manufacturers don't built catch cans and AOS systems for their direct injection engines.
Many non-DI engines can make use of a catch can.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Many non-DI engines can make use of a catch can.
Its even worse for DI engines and people are afraid of an oiled filter fouling up their MAFs? We've got bigger issues to worry about. Unless one goes totally crazy with reoiling the filter, buildup from the blow by will create far more problems over the lifespan of the car.