Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
this all leads to heavy oil consumption.
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Use the proper weighted oil - especially in cars with variable valve timing. The FK2 CTR's 2.0T requires 0W-20. If there were any concerns about viscosity or thermal breakdown, it would have been addressed there.

0W-20 has better cold start protection and is backed by over a decade of UOI's. Stick with that oil unless aftermarket mods call for something thicker.

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
will be interesting to see the oil spec for the R.

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
What evidence do you have that the Honda engineers made a mistake on the engine oil for the engine they designed??
Amen to that; +1 ! You've got to have your head examined if you deliberately deviate from what is specified !

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Use the proper weighted oil - especially in cars with variable valve timing. The FK2 CTR's 2.0T requires 0W-20. If there were any concerns about viscosity or thermal breakdown, it would have been addressed there.

0W-20 has better cold start protection and is backed by over a decade of UOI's. Stick with that oil unless aftermarket mods call for something thicker.
WRX and STI call for 5w30 and will generally break down to 5w20 after a few thousand miles. If the upcoming CTR calls for 0w20, will it break down to 0w10? Are Euro oils more robust?

Just find it pretty odd that a high HP small displacement motor would call for 0w20. The RS requires 5w50.

mc1200s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 ext
Country flag
Dumped the factory fill @ 3,677mi. and refilled with regular Mobil1 5/30, no more cold start rattle and truth be told much better protection from wear and especially heat. Can clearly hear the difference, very cool. I will be running a UOA on this but being fresh it may take til January for the MM..will keep everyone posted.
Just curious, why is this an upgrade? Wouldn't 0-20 give you better fuel economy and less drag? I truly would like to hear you opinion. Sounds like a downgrade to me.

Thanks.

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics

Page 492 Owners Manual :
"You may also use synthetic oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and is the specified viscosity grade"

What part of "0W-20" don't you understand ?!

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Dumped the factory fill @ 3,677mi. and refilled with regular Mobil1 5/30, no more cold start rattle and truth be told much better protection from wear and especially heat. Can clearly hear the difference, very cool. I will be running a UOA on this but being fresh it may take til January for the MM..will keep everyone posted.
Page 492 Owners Manual :
"You may also use synthetic oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and is the specified viscosity grade"

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Page 492 Owners Manual :

PS You're deluding yourself if you think you "Can clearly hear the difference," Use oatmeal and you'll really be able to hear the difference.

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My toys are oiled to the max, no 0/20 CAFE sheeple spec honored..even oil the top tier fuel for very good reason.

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
My toys are oiled to the max, no 0/20 CAFE sheeple spec honored..even oil the top tier fuel for very good reason.
Please translate; just curious : what's the 0/20 CAFE sheeple spec that you don't honor ? and what do you mean oil the top tier fuel for what good reason ?

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the Euro built small turbo engines all spec 5/40, course they don't sweat CAFE.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
This is not really a CAFE issue. If it were we'd see the 9th Gen CTR running 5W30 or thicker. This is about the powertrain design and the extremely tight oil passages in the turbo. In addition to the cold start issue, a thicker oil won't flow as efficiently through the compressor and could lead to hotter operating temps. And I'm willing to bet the oil inlet(s) are much, MUCH smaller than a typical TD03 operating with heavier grade oil.

Probably won't lead to anything catastrophic in warmer climates. But to anyone living in the North/NE, I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
WRX and STI call for 5w30 and will generally break down to 5w20 after a few thousand miles. If the upcoming CTR calls for 0w20, will it break down to 0w10? Are Euro oils more robust?

Just find it pretty odd that a high HP small displacement motor would call for 0w20. The RS requires 5w50.
Yes, Euro oils are held to a higher standard. But I'm willing to bet the CTR's 2.0T runs tighter ring clearance than its competitors. Less fuel/contaminants slipping past the rings equates to longer oil life.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.