Status
Not open for further replies.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
As somebody who is on the other side of the wall, I can tell you that is only partly true. Yes, there are lots of stipulations that have to be met due to regulations and mandated goals. No, they do not drive every decision that is made in regards to longevity of components.

Look at motors from today vs motors 5, 10, and 20 years ago. We have 1.5L 4 cylinder motors producing more power than a C4 Corvette LT1 and over triple the MPG the LT1 made. The new 2.0 turbo motor from GM in Cadillac's is absolutely amazing. This is all due to regulations and companies competing with each other.

You would not believe the amount of computer testing and physical validation that goes into these decisions. If Honda is saying to use 0w20, it's because of tolerances inside the engine, not because Obama says to use 0w20 or you can't sell here.
Let me try and make myself a little more clear. I am NOT arguing that 0W-20 oil is not the best choice for these new engines.... it may well be! I haven't seen the data, so cannot speak with certainty on this. I happen to use 0W-20 in my two engines that specify it. BUT,
What I don't accept is the premise that it HAS to be the best JUST because the manufacturer recommends it. They have other factors than the ultimate life expectancy of my engine to consider.
Sponsored

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
not only are you pushed into 0/20 sub standard motor oil like a sheep, they're in you fuel too, that's why I juice my fuel with 640:1 TCW-3 oil

http://dailycaller.com/2016/11/23/epa-increases-the-federal-ethanol-mandate/
Someone a couple posts up, who actually works on designing engines (turbocharged, direct injected nonetheless) just clarified as to why 0W-20 is the spec, and yet here you are, posting yet another irrelevant strawman argument.:rolleyes:

This thread has run its course.

You're an awful troll BTW.

Honda Civic 10th gen I've upgraded to 5/30 oil... IMG_0088.JPG

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
not only are you pushed into 0/20 sub standard motor oil like a sheep, they're in you fuel too, that's why I juice my fuel with 640:1 TCW-3 oil

http://dailycaller.com/2016/11/23/epa-increases-the-federal-ethanol-mandate/
Very curious, just why you consider the recommended 0W-20 oil somehow sub standard ? Also is 640:1 the gas oil ratio ? If so then you'd better realize that at that ratio there'd be essentially no lubricating benefit whatever (consider what's done in 2 cycle engines).

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
640:1 TCW-3 in your fuel is 100% more protection than your offering, also cleans-up deposits especially the oil ring issue.

CivicXX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic touring, 2015 Fit
Country flag
Jut WOW... is all i have to say...Let your local dealership know that your using additives in your fuel and changed your oil with what YOU think is better for your car...See if you can get them to cover even a wiper refill under warranty.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
no problems with any of that fact this cleans it, put some in my co-workers CRV cause his engine light came on and in 100 mi. it went out. lot of people doing this I'm no pioneer.

stewpididiot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Honda Pilot, 2007 Honda Ridgeline, 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
I was bored today and browsing the CivicX site instead of working.

I saw a thread about "upgrading" oil viscosity. Before clicking on the thread I said to myself, "This should be entertaining. I bet there will be myriad pages of guys obsessing about oil and arguing about which is best. I'm thinking there will be one guy advocating that Honda's engineers know best (they do), then another contingent of guys shouting him down because, of course, they know better than Honda's engineers, and certainly more than the guy who defers to them."

I wasn't disappointed. But then again it was an easy prediction. After reading this, the most "potent" "argument" against Steve was "you keep saying the same thing." Of course he did. Facts are stubborn things, aren't they?

Can I ask a follow up question of all the non 0W-20 viscosity "experts?" How many of you also have ever lowered a car because it "makes the car handle better?" Just curious...

I'm guessing that there is at least some cross over with the lowered car group and the non 0W-20 guys. I would even bet that this entire forum is probably a mix of some experienced car owners and some WOT freeway race car drivers who are still adjusting to testosterone and pubic hair and "need" all kinds of "upgrades" to engines that would otherwise run for at least 500,000 miles if left stock, maintained and treated properly. Hint: You don't need a tow loop on the back of your 1.5T if you drive it responsibly.

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well, that's just a really weird first post.

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like a game of basketball wearing your work boots, or cutting timber in sneakers motor oil, tires, shoes women all have a ying & yang. This however is different no reason to push fuel efficiency at the price of your new equipment, look at all the oil problems with 0-5/20 at Honda, Toyota, Hyundai. Chevy 1.4T's..good god, I'm sure they would all bump the motor oil spec if not for CAFE regulation...especially the turbos.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was bored today and browsing the CivicX site instead of working.

I saw a thread about "upgrading" oil viscosity. Before clicking on the thread I said to myself, "This should be entertaining. I bet there will be myriad pages of guys obsessing about oil and arguing about which is best. I'm thinking there will be one guy advocating that Honda's engineers know best (they do), then another contingent of guys shouting him down because, of course, they know better than Honda's engineers, and certainly more than the guy who defers to them."

I wasn't disappointed. But then again it was an easy prediction. After reading this, the most "potent" "argument" against Steve was "you keep saying the same thing." Of course he did. Facts are stubborn things, aren't they?

Can I ask a follow up question of all the non 0W-20 viscosity "experts?" How many of you also have ever lowered a car because it "makes the car handle better?" Just curious...

I'm guessing that there is at least some cross over with the lowered car group and the non 0W-20 guys. I would even bet that this entire forum is probably a mix of some experienced car owners and some WOT freeway race car drivers who are still adjusting to testosterone and pubic hair and "need" all kinds of "upgrades" to engines that would otherwise run for at least 500,000 miles if left stock, maintained and treated properly. Hint: You don't need a tow loop on the back of your 1.5T if you drive it responsibly.
It would seem that you don't understand the point of this thread either. It's to see what kind of results are obtained after switching oils. All you old men who don't want to do anything to your car don't have to. Why do you feel the need to voice your opinion on what we do with our cars? My car is already far from stock so stock oil probably won't cut it. I'm waiting to find out results on this thread and all I keep seeing is grumpy old men saying "engineers know best, don't upgrade your car". Enough already, I've already upgraded my car, get over it. If you think that stock is best, fine, you don't see me coming into your threads suggesting that you upgrade your car immediately do you? When it comes to my car I really don't care about your opinion.

stewpididiot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Honda Pilot, 2007 Honda Ridgeline, 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
It would seem that you don't understand the point of this thread either. It's to see what kind of results are obtained after switching oils. All you old men who don't want to do anything to your car don't have to. Why do you feel the need to voice your opinion on what we do with our cars? My car is already far from stock so stock oil probably won't cut it. I'm waiting to find out results on this thread and all I keep seeing is grumpy old men saying "engineers know best, don't upgrade your car". Enough already, I've already upgraded my car, get over it. If you think that stock is best, fine, you don't see me coming into your threads suggesting that you upgrade your car immediately do you? When it comes to my car I really don't care about your opinion.
But you're here and taking the time to respond. Apparently you do care. LOL I'm touched. Moved. Really.

But the "old men" here haven't missed the point. The OP notes that the change in oil is an "upgrade." That assertion makes a discussion of whether a change in the type of oil actually is an "upgrade" or a "really dumbass thing to do" a fair discussion. That is the point of this thread. Unlike you perhaps one or two passive readers of this thread will find the wisdom, experience and education of these "old men" before they embark on a process of irreparably harming their vehicle.

You stated that this thread exists in order to see what kind of results are obtained after switching oils. Apparently what you're telling us is that Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Ford, General Motors, Chrysler, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Suzuki, Renault, Peugeot, Mazda, Isuzu, Subaru, and the litany of other smaller manufacturers who spend tens of millions of dollars designing, researching and testing these machines to ensure sustainable performance forgot to analyze and design their engines with the best lubrication in mind. What you're saying is that the auto industry needs legions of "car experts" like you to run a real world testing program to inform them of their bad choices.

The inevitable blue smoke pouring out of your exhaust will be testimony to the effectiveness of your "upgrades," and driving habits. But look at the bright side - when your "upgrades" ultimately result in your car breaking down somewhere, that silly tow hook on the back of your car might finally have a use!

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But you're here and taking the time to respond. Apparently you do care. LOL I'm touched. Moved. Really.

But the "old men" here haven't missed the point. The OP notes that the change in oil is an "upgrade." That assertion makes a discussion of whether a change in the type of oil actually is an "upgrade" or a "really dumbass thing to do" a fair discussion. That is the point of this thread. Unlike you perhaps one or two passive readers of this thread will find the wisdom, experience and education of these "old men" before they embark on a process of irreparably harming their vehicle.

You stated that this thread exists in order to see what kind of results are obtained after switching oils. Apparently what you're telling us is that Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Ford, General Motors, Chrysler, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Suzuki, Renault, Peugeot, Mazda, Isuzu, Subaru, and the litany of other smaller manufacturers who spend tens of millions of dollars designing, researching and testing these machines to ensure sustainable performance forgot to analyze and design their engines with the best lubrication in mind. What you're saying is that the auto industry needs legions of "car experts" like you to run a real world testing program to inform them of their bad choices.

The inevitable blue smoke pouring out of your exhaust will be testimony to the effectiveness of your "upgrades," and driving habits. But look at the bright side - when your "upgrades" ultimately result in your car breaking down somewhere, that silly tow hook on the back of your car might finally have a use!
If you'd read through the thread you'd know exactly where I stand on trusting engineers. As a field technician I clean up their messes all the time. At no point did I ever claim to be an expert. I believe I referred to myself as a "random guy on the internet". As soon as my car starts blowing blue smoke I'll let you know, but until then all your "points" are pure. speculation. If you think honda ran oil tests on anything other than 0-20 on this engine you're out of your mind. If you also think that what honda engineers suggest HAS to be the ABSOLUTE BEST you may be sorely mistaken. I am open to the idea of honda being wrong and look forward to oil tests done with another weight. What the OP put in the title is non consequential when his first post says he will be getting studies done and reporting the findings. That is all this thread has ever been about. Everyone chiming in with their "follow engineers or blow up your car" mentality is in the wrong spot.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.