I've upgraded to 5/30 oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
Dumped the factory fill @ 3,677mi. and refilled with regular Mobil1 5/30, no more cold start rattle and truth be told much better protection from wear and especially heat. Can clearly hear the difference, very cool. I will be running a UOA on this but being fresh it may take til January for the MM..will keep everyone posted.
Sponsored

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was thinking of doing this myself, the lightweight oil has to be for fuel economy purposes, protection is minimal.

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
0/20 is all about CAFE, do yourself a favor..

I don't intend to mod my touring but making the best of what Honda designed is important so I also run E0 91 fuel and juice that with TCW-3 oil..next will be stock size ultra premium tires although the Continential's have been fine.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dumped the factory fill @ 3,677mi. and refilled with regular Mobil1 5/30, no more cold start rattle and truth be told much better protection from wear and especially heat. Can clearly hear the difference, very cool. I will be running a UOA on this but being fresh it may take til January for the MM..will keep everyone posted.
Good luck!

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ya I'm thinking on moving up to 5w30 because my last car used that and I really liked it. :rofl:
Not quite... Now I realize this chart stops at 2011, but it demonstrates that the oils are interchangeable. The viscosity difference between 0 and 5 is not as extreme as you think. The 5 weight may help with oil blow by and valve train chatter during startup. Then again it may not. The thing it's not going to do is destroy your engine.

View attachment 21405

Honda Civic 10th gen I've upgraded to 5/30 oil... yXteN

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
How does this chart prove that 5/30 is acceptable in place of 0/20?

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It doesn't, just as I never mentioned which weight I was thinking of switching to. It says 5w20 is equivalent, if you can't see that then there's really nothing else I can say to help. What I'm saying is 100% speculative, take it at face value as just some random guy on the internet saying it. I'm not trying to get anyone else to do anything to their cars, talking about myself. Now if you have some actual evidence as to why this may be a terrible idea, I'm more than willing to listen, as for speculation, it's a double edged sword.

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mobil1 5/30 is a great HTO oil even developed with Honda for the RDX.

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
couple things with the 1.5T, first is the turbo heat, second is DI fuel dilution thinning the oil even further.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Stick to what the manufacturer recommends and you won't have your warranty denied. It's that easy.

Will putting 5w30 provide better protection for the engine in the long run? Possibly. The engine should also easily outlast the life of the vehicle by using the manufacturer's recommended oil.

Will Honda perform for an oil analysis if your engine fails for whatever reason? Probably not. Most 30 weight oil will shear down to 20 weight over time anyway.

It just doesn't make a difference at the end of the day, so why not stick to the manufacturer's recommendation?

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
couple things with the 1.5T, first is the turbo heat, second is DI fuel dilution thinning the oil even further.
The current gen WRX have the same problem, direct injection and turbo. Just change it every 3k if you're that worried.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.