Is the Honda Sensing worth the extra cost?

cfochs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L, 2008 Honda CRV EX, and 2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Those of you that have driven or purchased a new civic with the honda sensing, do you feel that it is worth the extra cost or is it just a gimmick?
Sponsored

amalgamate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I like it. Adaptive Cruise Control works really well the times I've used it. It will even come to a complete stop if the car in front of you does. The lane keeping assist system also does a nice job of helping you stay in your lane and notifying you if you drift into another lane.

Regarding the CMBS, I tend to drive relatively closely to the car in front of me and the other night a car I was following was turning right onto another street. I didn't slow as much as I probably should have anticipating the car in front of me turning and I guess I got a little too close for the car's liking as it applied the brakes for me (quite abruptly though it immediately let off the brake as soon as the car was out of the line of sight of the radar). So while that was a little annoying (you can actually adjust the distance at which the car will apply the brakes for you - right now mine is set to "normal"), it's nice to know that it appears like it would work in a real life situation.

So all in all, I've been very pleased with the system. I tried low speed follow as well and while it does work, it was a little herky-jerky and when the system tells the car to apply the brakes, you can hear little clicks behind the dash - so you can imagine that you can hear these little clicks constantly when using in a low speed follow situation. I would have to really sit in a traffic jam for a long time to decide to rely on the car to apply the gas and brake for me in that situation. Hope this helps.

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
If safety is a top priority for you, Honda Sensing is a no brainer. There is no other package in the automotive world that gives you all these features for $1000. If you use cruise control especially, its incredible useful.

HondaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
The cool thing with the Adaptive Cruise Control, is that if the car in front of you slows to a stop, YOU will slow to a stop!

Last edited:

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
I grin like a kid in a candy store everytime I use ACC and LKA. It was a bit nerve wracking at first, but now its just amazing.

My intention is to teach my kid to drive in this car, so the extra piece of mind is totally worth it for me.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Great value for the money.
It certainly doesn't drive like a human but rush hour traffic is a tense experience for me and now I don't have to worry.

Manual notes it also works for people as well as cars so it's the kind of thing you want but hope you never need.

mjones5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot, 2004 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda Civic
The sales staff today was told the Civic will get the Highest Safety Plus rating due to the Honda Sensing

Trellaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EX with Honda sensor (nov 16) :)
I thought you had to go a certain speed and above before some of these features work? I've driven mine about a week and hardly notice any features working. I have seen the BRAKE light up in the dash. But in no way has the car ever slowed down. Or stopped as I get close to the car in front.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I like it. Adaptive Cruise Control works really well the times I've used it. It will even come to a complete stop if the car in front of you does. The lane keeping assist system also does a nice job of helping you stay in your lane and notifying you if you drift into another lane.

Regarding the CMBS, I tend to drive relatively closely to the car in front of me and the other night a car I was following was turning right onto another street. I didn't slow as much as I probably should have anticipating the car in front of me turning and I guess I got a little too close for the car's liking as it applied the brakes for me (quite abruptly though it immediately let off the brake as soon as the car was out of the line of sight of the radar). So while that was a little annoying (you can actually adjust the distance at which the car will apply the brakes for you - right now mine is set to "normal"), it's nice to know that it appears like it would work in a real life situation.

So all in all, I've been very pleased with the system. I tried low speed follow as well and while it does work, it was a little herky-jerky and when the system tells the car to apply the brakes, you can hear little clicks behind the dash - so you can imagine that you can hear these little clicks constantly when using in a low speed follow situation. I would have to really sit in a traffic jam for a long time to decide to rely on the car to apply the gas and brake for me in that situation. Hope this helps.
My thoughts exactly. I don't remember the clicks but I was in downtown Toronto traffic in the dark trying not to get killed (small town boy here, brought extra underwear just in case). I found the brake hold a little abrupt but so was the traffic.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I thought you had to go a certain speed and above before some of these features work? I've driven mine about a week and hardly notice any features working. I have seen the BRAKE light up in the dash. But in no way has the car ever slowed down. Or stopped as I get close to the car in front.
You have to turn on ACC (adaptive cruise control) and then you will notice the car slow down when following a slower vehicle. The icon in the display is an outline of a car when no car is detected and a solid icon when following a car. The "distance button" to the right of the cruise control buttons determines how far you stay behind, again changing the cruise control icon from one bar to four bars.
Honda Civic 10th gen Is the Honda Sensing worth the extra cost? 2002-a10131ed76114c86acf360b5aae2fe02

Honda Civic 10th gen Is the Honda Sensing worth the extra cost? 2003-86fb9542f53f2390ee845cb8be086e84

Honda Civic 10th gen Is the Honda Sensing worth the extra cost? 2004-ec4bac156ee4f09a7ef942c3bfe62f76

Attachments

Trellaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! ACC would not be used in the busy city streets though?

amalgamate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Thanks! ACC would not be used in the busy city streets though?
Actually it could be if you wanted because it has the LSF feature (low speed follow) which will essentially apply brakes and gas to keep pace with the car in front of you, even in stop and go traffic. It's not super practical though since it's a little jerky as I mentioned in my post above.

The LSF is not something you turn on, it's built into the ACC.

Trellaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ohhh okay. :) thanks for the information. Maybe I'll save this for the suburban roads or Hwy where there it's more open driving.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Ohhh okay. :) thanks for the information. Maybe I'll save this for the suburban roads or Hwy where there it's more open driving.
The ACC and lane keep are active but the rest is really only meant to kick Only when its certain a crash is imminent.
So if you're not seeing it work that's a good thing.
But the brake signal flashing is part of how it's always watching even if the active features arent showing themselves.
Sponsored