Is my cluch slipping look at the video. Please help.

y2kprofesor

First Name
marius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Manual transmission 23.5 psi ktuner, Injen CAI, AEM charge pipe, PRL downpipe. Does it sounds like the clutch is slipping between 4000-5000rpms

start 12sec in video
Sponsored

Last edited:

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Manual transmission 23.5 psi ktuner, Injen CAI, AEM charge pipe, PRL downpipe. Does it sounds like the clutch is slipping between 4000-5000RPMS.
With those mods and how weak the OEM clutch is. Without even looking at the video, you need a new clutch.

Sorry bud but time to catch out $600-$800. It really sucks. Honda needs to put a better clutch in these cars. Not for the tuners but for those that are experiencing problems on their stock SI.

Redglare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 si, 11' z34.
With those mods and how weak the OEM clutch is. Without even looking at the video, you need a new clutch.

Sorry bud but time to catch out $600-$800. It really sucks. Honda needs to put a better clutch in these cars. Not for the tuners but for those that are experiencing problems on their stock SI.

I am surprise they downgraded the clutch from 9th gen Si to 10th. You can safely run a low boost supercharger on the 9th gen clutch... hmmmm

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
My guess would be right at the initial (12 secs in) then recovers?

FYI, this is my first MT car in over 15 years.

Blackbettysi

First Name
Shain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lunar Silver SI Coupe
Country flag
Your clutch definitely looks like it's slipping .mine does that on the 21PSI tune for K tuner and I'm completely stock other than ther tuner. I absolutely refuse to do anything to the car and tell the clutch is changed and seen that I can barely afford the car as it is not going to happen any time soon. I even bought the K tuner on a payment plan because that shit is expensive as hell.

Redglare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 si, 11' z34.
I do not think you have slippage yet. Keep driving but keep an eye out on rpms / speedo going out of synchrony. When it starts to slip it, you will really notice RPMS climb and speedo won't follow.
good test to do; find an incline/hill put it in 5th gear around 35-40 and floor it.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't see it slipping, at least not anything grossly significant. You'll feel it as much as see it, with RPMs rising but not much acceleration. RPMs would rise higher than what they should for the given MPH in that gear. If you're RPMs keep rising w/little change in vehicle speed... then vehicle speed slowly rises to equal what it oughta be at that RPM... that's slipping. Usually you'll see it at peak torque or if your abusing your clutch to do burnouts.

grantsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Other way to test is to press brake while your accelerating - will make it easier to tell if its slipping. Looks like slight slip like I experience as well. However I have seen this slip with stock tune!

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I saw no slippage, what I did see at the end was you letting off.. soo not sure what you are showing us. Stock clutch can hold stage 1 tune 23psi if you aren’t beating the shit of it.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Other way to test is to press brake while your accelerating - will make it easier to tell if its slipping.
That won't work because Honda's Brake Priority Logic cuts engine power when the brake and accelerator pedals are being depressed at the same time.

Brake Override Systems (BOS), as they are generically known, began appearing around a decade ago when Toyota was dealing with claims of sudden unintended acceleration and a police officer was killed in his own Lexus allegedly due to runaway acceleration.

By the end of 2011, Honda had proactively committed to implementing this feature on all models.

http://hondanews.com/releases/state...cation-of-brake-override?query=brake+override

Several years ago, the NHTSA proposed making this feature mandatory. As far as I know, it never made it past the proposal stage, although most manufactures have already implemented it.

Different manufacturers implement the strategy differently on various models. Some release the throttle completely when the brake is applied, some reduce the throttle when the brake is applied, some work only when the vehicle is in motion, and some work while the vehicle is stopped. The last several Hondas I've owned reduce the throttle while the vehicle is in motion if the brakes are applied, but still allow a degree of "power braking" if the vehicle isn't moving.

Last edited: