Is it better to wait and purchase the 2017 models?

Mikey604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe EX 2013
Is it always better to wait for the 2017 model? I am hesitant to get the 2016 because it is the first year of the remodel.

Thoughts?

I am currently financing a 2013 civic EX with about 1.5 years left.

Maybe it makes more sense to finish my finance and then upgrade? or does that really matter?

I just do not want to get ripped off on my trade in value.
Sponsored

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
If your car would be in the positive on a trade in then there isn't much reason to ride out your financing unless you just want to. Though it would likely be true that the 2017 will have a few minor updates to fix any quirks noticed in the 2016, and since we're so close to when the 2017s would roll out at this point I would say you may as well wait for them. If they change something about it you don't like you can probably find a 2016 just as easily at that point, possibly even a gently used and certified one cheaper.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You will always get a little "ripped off" on any trade in, because they can never give you what your car is actually worth. They have to sell it for that amount. As far as waiting, that's totally up to you. Just because its a first model year, doesn't mean it's going to have problems. Our 2016 HR-V was a first model year, and it's been perfect. Besides, even if it did have a problem, they will fix it under warranty. I don't think it will though. Then again, there are always a few bad apples here and there, but that's true of any company and any model year.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mikey604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only thing about waiting for the 2017 model is that I will not get the factory rebates or 0.99 financing rate on the 2017 model that they are currently offering on the 2016 model.

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
The only thing about waiting for the 2017 model is that I will not get the factory rebates or 0.99 financing rate on the 2017 model that they are currently offering on the 2016 model.
Honestly. I would be shocked if they don't have similar incentives for the 2017 at some point. The civic is like their incentive child.

OP
OP

Mikey604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then I would have to wait at least another year to get similar incentives on the 2017 model!

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Sell that thing privately, then just buy the car. You want incentives but they don't come off until late in the year and not very strong anyway because Honda Canada knows the Civic is the best selling car in Canada. They sell themselves. Then you realize that you want a '17 but theres no incentives for that... It's a never ending cycle. Just buy the car...

OP
OP

Mikey604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you think that there will be significant changes for the 2017 model? or much less bugs with the 2017 model?

asdf916

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP
Country flag
Significant, no. Hopefully they'll address a few of the issues that the first year is experiencing like the subwoofer rattle. Infotainment is constantly updated even with the 2016s, so there's no worries there.

OP
OP

Mikey604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you think the 2016 models now or late 2016 models will have the kinks worked out already? Or is it better to wait for the 2017's to get all the issues worked out?

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
If you want all of the issues worked out, wait for 2017. If you want the incentive, either buy the 2016 or wait for the incentives for the 2017.

CivicBuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EXT/HS, 2000 Honda Accord Coupe
Country flag
When should we expect the 2017 Civic sedans to be available in the US?

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I forgot to address one more thing in my previous post. It also depends on which trim level you want. The LX models seem to have alot less "kinks" that need working out than the upper models. I am by no means bashing the upper trims, just stating that since they have more gadgets and tech, they seem to be more prone to the first model year problem syndrome.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I am by no means bashing the upper trims, just stating that since they have more gadgets and tech, they seem to be more prone to the first model year problem syndrome.
They also build fewer so it takes a longer time to get enough units built to get the kinks out. Higher trim levels, particularly Touring, are also way over-represented on this forum compared to their proportion in the production mix, so this may make Tourings look worse than they are, relatively speaking.