Is Crutchfield right? No HU avail for 2017 EX-L w/Navi Hatch?

fsucutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red EX-L Hatchback
Country flag
Seriously?

Has anyone installed an aftermarket (specifically a HU with CarPlay ability) into their 2017 Hatchback? Is there an issue with model, like the EX-L with Navi can't take a different HU, but the lower trims can?

WTF?

Thanks!

edit: sure enough if I change the 'car' in Crutchfields system to a LX, I get a bunch of options.

So!, the question now becomes - Has anyone successfully installed an aftermarket HU into an EX-L w/Navi???

Thanks again!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP

fsucutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red EX-L Hatchback
Country flag
I wouldn't expect it would be any different from the LX. You should be able to put any HU in that you can in the other trims. Check this one out. https://phoenixandroidradios.com/co...id-navigation-radio-for-honda-civic-2016-2017 There is a good write up on here about installing it and how to set it up correctly.

As far as a Carplay radio, this one seems to be the best at the lowest price point. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV100/Sony-XAV-AX100.html?tp=20217

Yeah, just doesn't seem to make sense that I can put in an LX and get plenty of options and then put in EX and have none! Two different techs have told me they don't get it but their doc's say that nothing fits...!

At first I thought that it was because I have the Navi model, but that isn't even an option and they never knew (I just never got around to telling them) so it's more of an EX vs. LX thing.

Thanks for the reply - I was hoping to have someone chime in with experience installing one into an EX so I could hear, for sure, that it's just an issue with Crutchfield and their documents/thinking.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I mean the stock HU from the upper levels fits in the lower trims so why would they not tell you that the same stuff would fit in the EX that fits the LX. The only difference I can tell is that there is a NAV connection on the EX. There should be threads on here of people who upgraded to a better HU on the higher trims.

Space Lord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I don't think it is a matter of radio but is more of them not having a smart harness available to integrate with the upper trims oem audio yet. I'm not sure about the hatches but aren't your A/C controls in the head unit? How would you retain that? I've been told that for whatever reason companies are slow when it comes to Hondas with aftermarket audio integration stuff. An LX or Sport just need a normal harness in order to work. I'm not talking about android units I don't know much about them.

OP
OP

fsucutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red EX-L Hatchback
Country flag
I mean the stock HU from the upper levels fits in the lower trims so why would they not tell you that the same stuff would fit in the EX that fits the LX. The only difference I can tell is that there is a NAV connection on the EX. There should be threads on here of people who upgraded to a better HU on the higher trims.
I agree - I expected to see threads about that exact proc
I don't think it is a matter of radio but is more of them not having a smart harness available to integrate with the upper trims oem audio yet. I'm not sure about the hatches but aren't your A/C controls in the head unit? How would you retain that? I've been told that for whatever reason companies are slow when it comes to Hondas with aftermarket audio integration stuff. An LX or Sport just need a normal harness in order to work. I'm not talking about android units I don't know much about them.
Yeah, I think you're right, there is a how-to on this site of someone going from LX to EX and he had to re-wire manually.
Yes, part of the selection of the A/C control is on the display screen.

Which makes me wonder...I wonder if I could install the LX A/C control and then go with a different HU...?!

kvnhmmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
I agree - I expected to see threads about that exact proc

Yeah, I think you're right, there is a how-to on this site of someone going from LX to EX and he had to re-wire manually.
Yes, part of the selection of the A/C control is on the display screen.

Which makes me wonder...I wonder if I could install the LX A/C control and then go with a different HU...?!
The issue is how much the car relies on the head unit to function properly.

Try pulling out the fuse for your touchscreen head unit in your EX-L.

You'll notice the compass doesn't work. No way to adjust the clock on the dash, HVAC issues, etc.

Now if someone creates a solution to this, I'll buy it immediately. Not a fan of Honda's android head unit. But my favorite screen on my dash is the compass/road name screen. This information comes from the head unit...

The closest anyone has come to supporting this is Pioneer's radios that support iDatalink Maestro. But iDatalink doesn't support our civics.

So I continue to wait...
Sponsored