Interior lighting?

BrandonR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I've had my car for about a week and have seen some really cool interior footwell lighting. Just wondering how to wire it to make it go on with the auto lights or if i should just use a 12v to power the lights. Also wondering what brand is the best for this. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just got my Honda footwell lighting installed today and I'm quite happy with it. It's not nearly as bright as some of the aftermarket kits and you can only really see it at night time, but I don't think I'd want it any brighter on a dark road at night. Unlike the kit in my 2006 Civic, there's no on/off switch - it just turns on and off along with the headlights - but the nice thing is that it actually dims with the rest of the dash lights via the knob to the right of the fuel gauge, which my old kit didn't do. Not sure if this will help you, but here are the instructions for installing the Honda kit - maybe it will give you some ideas of how to rig up an aftermarket kit in a similar way: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/AH/AII02278-19/enu/AII02278-19.pdf I was thinking about installing something myself until I saw this 49-step process so I decided to let Honda handle it. ;) FYI, I paid $168 Canadian, installed. I think it looks cool at night and my wife likes the fact that she can find stuff on the floor if she drops something at night.

OP
OP
BrandonR17

BrandonR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I just got my Honda footwell lighting installed today and I'm quite happy with it. It's not nearly as bright as some of the aftermarket kits and you can only really see it at night time, but I don't think I'd want it any brighter on a dark road at night. Unlike the kit in my 2006 Civic, there's no on/off switch - it just turns on and off along with the headlights - but the nice thing is that it actually dims with the rest of the dash lights via the knob to the right of the fuel gauge, which my old kit didn't do. Not sure if this will help you, but here are the instructions for installing the Honda kit - maybe it will give you some ideas of how to rig up an aftermarket kit in a similar way: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/AH/AII02278-19/enu/AII02278-19.pdf I was thinking about installing something myself until I saw this 49-step process so I decided to let Honda handle it. ;) FYI, I paid $168 Canadian, installed. I think it looks cool at night and my wife likes the fact that she can find stuff on the floor if she drops something at night.
Thank you for replying! I've been debating whether or not to get the honda one and pay the extra money or get one from autozone for half the price and more features. How long did it take the dealer to install it?

OP
OP
BrandonR17

BrandonR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Another question: does the light go into the back seat or only lights the driver and passenger seats?

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@BrandonR17 They charged about $84 Canadian for the parts and $84 for the labour (invoice says 0.8 hours). I thought that seemed pretty reasonable considering how much work is involved with installing this kit. What is the Autozone kit like? Is it that LED strip that comes with the little remote control to change the brightness and colours?

No, the lights don't reach the rear seats. It's only in the footwell of the driver seat and front passenger seat. The lights are just tiny marble-sized LEDs and are so faint that you can't see them at all during the daytime. If you want to be able to see them in situations other than dark garages or at night, then you'll want to look at one of those aftermarket LED strips (but you'll likely want to turn the brightness down at night).

cfukin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CivicX LX 6spd
Wow, $168 Canadian for parts and labour, I am tempted.

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@cfukin Yeah, I was pretty pleased with the price since it says $172 on the Honda website, and I assumed installation would be extra. Maybe the accessory prices on the Honda site all include installation?

OP
OP
BrandonR17

BrandonR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
@BrandonR17 They charged about $84 Canadian for the parts and $84 for the labour (invoice says 0.8 hours). I thought that seemed pretty reasonable considering how much work is involved with installing this kit. What is the Autozone kit like? Is it that LED strip that comes with the little remote control to change the brightness and colours?

No, the lights don't reach the rear seats. It's only in the footwell of the driver seat and front passenger seat. The lights are just tiny marble-sized LEDs and are so faint that you can't see them at all during the daytime. If you want to be able to see them in situations other than dark garages or at night, then you'll want to look at one of those aftermarket LED strips (but you'll likely want to turn the brightness down at night).
Thanks for replying! The autozone brand has the remote and different colors I'm torn if i should even get either honda or autozone or neither! They are cool but i just feel like i dont need them that much probably because im a pretty cheap person lol

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I definitely wouldn't consider this a must-have accessory but it does look nice and has some functional use at night. I guess it depends on what accessories you already have installed and how much night driving you do. I would put this lower on my list than the protection package, tinting and LED ceiling lights since I'd get more use out of those.

CosmicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2014 Honda Civic EX-L Navi
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just received my iJDMToy LED lights to replace the EXLed lights I moved from my 14 Civic to my 16 Civic. I am including pictures including generic leds for reference for those considering led interior lighting change. iJDMToy Leds are not bad for $20. I still like the EXLed lights but they are $70.

Honda Civic 10th gen Interior lighting? 20160308_140507

Honda Civic 10th gen Interior lighting? 2016-03-08_15.14.49

Honda Civic 10th gen Interior lighting? 2016-03-08_15.13.33

Honda Civic 10th gen Interior lighting? 2016-03-08_15.12.02

Honda Civic 10th gen Interior lighting? 2016-03-08_15.02.10

Honda Civic 10th gen Interior lighting? 2016-03-08_15.01.21

Honda Civic 10th gen Interior lighting? 2016-03-08_15.00.32

Honda Civic 10th gen Interior lighting? 2016-03-08_14.58.04

Honda Civic 10th gen Interior lighting? 2016-03-08_14.59.07

Honda Civic 10th gen Interior lighting? 2016-03-08_19.42.53

Honda Civic 10th gen Interior lighting? 2016-03-08_19.42.03

Last edited:

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag

CosmicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Found a pretty thorough video of installing footwell lights, that work with the dome lights (ie. shut off when driving, etc.)
http://subtletv.com/baab4Zf/DIY_20_Footwell__Courtesy_LED_Illumination_w_Doors_on_15_WRX_Can_be_done

Question for you guys with LED interior lights - they are nicer to look at obviously, but don't you find them harsher on the eyes?
Footeell lights are not a problem. LEDs are harsh if you look directly at them. It depends on the quality of the interior lights too. What is cool about the EXLed lights is that you can choose the warmth color and they are dimmable to your liking. It does cost much more but I think they are worth it. You probably will only install once. Have been using mine for 1.5 years now and just transferred to my 16 Civic. Same goes for the exterior LEDs. I like the Philips design because they are DOT approved and fire the LED's back to the reflector which prevents blinding others. Hope this helps.

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the example pics of the two light kits, CosmicTouring.

I installed my Ameritree LED kit today (like the generic T10 bulbs) and as I expected, I'm not really happy with them. Much too cool (blue) and artificial for my tastes. I'll have to see what it's like at night still, but it looks like I'll be upgrading to the exLED lights later this year. Maybe it will be a little birthday present to myself. @CosmicTouring: I'm guessing the blue seen in the trunk photo is just the exterior evening light spilling in, or does the trunk light really go blue on the edges like that? Also, what are those things in your trunk? Are they weighted dividers to keep stuff in the trunk from sliding around? Looks like a good idea.

CosmicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the example pics of the two light kits, CosmicTouring.

I installed my Ameritree LED kit today (like the generic T10 bulbs) and as I expected, I'm not really happy with them. Much too cool (blue) and artificial for my tastes. I'll have to see what it's like at night still, but it looks like I'll be upgrading to the exLED lights later this year. Maybe it will be a little birthday present to myself. @CosmicTouring: I'm guessing the blue seen in the trunk photo is just the exterior evening light spilling in, or does the trunk light really go blue on the edges like that? Also, what are those things in your trunk? Are they weighted dividers to keep stuff in the trunk from sliding around? Looks like a good idea.
The trunk light is white and doesn't go blue. Must be a reflection or the camera. The dividers are Weathertech Cargotech. They are lightweight but have grippy bottoms. You surround your items with these to prevent from sliding around. I didn't get the cargo net with my 16 Civic like I did for my 14 Civic. Don't have the tool to install the rivet and don't want to pay double the cost of the net to install. FYI the rivet tool is supposed to be used for the trunk bag hooks but it is not necessary. Installed myself.