Intake review for all my 2.0l LX EX owners

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Don't need to, been using them for years. I mainly would get them for my motorcycle because of the reusability. I couldn't care less if some "study" shows they aren't as good or better than OEM. I could probably find a bunch of other studies that say the opposite.
Lol the same can be said for cold air intakes. Except CAI's don't coat your MAF sensor element with oil and cause it to burn out prematurely. Unless you use K&N that is. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol the same can be said for cold air intakes. Except CAI's don't coat your MAF sensor element with oil and cause it to burn out prematurely. Unless you use K&N that is. :thumbsup:
My point was $30-$50 for a filter vs $200-$300 for a CAI. For ME it's an easy choice. And I have never heard of a K&N air filter causing a sensor to go bad, but let me guess, you'll find some study showing that too. :p

Last edited:

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
My point was $30-$50 for a filter vs $200-$300 for a CAI. For ME it's an easy choice. And I have never heard of a K&N air filter causing a sensor to go bad, but let me guess, you'll find some study showing that too. :p
Ha because you haven't heard of it, it can't possibly happen to you right? I burned out a hot wire MAF (upgraded to hot film) in my last car using K&N, but when I replaced it with an AEM dry flow, and later an Apexi, I no longer had faulty MAF readings when I would data log.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
It's hard to tell this early in the game. I've had a lead foot so far because I like testing it lol. I will put that on my list, I know a route I take 5 days a week and what MPG I got before so I can test it. I'd assume it's minimal though. I'm going to try to get that and pictures this week, maybe a video if I can get my phone to cooperate
Thank you. It looks/sounds great.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ha because you haven't heard of it, it can't possibly happen to you right?
Did I say that?

Hell, you could probably find someone who had a wheel fall off, because the lug nuts got loosened from vibration, caused by the subwoofer in their trunk.

Anyways, this has got completely off what my 1st post was saying. Have a nice day. TETO

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
but when I replaced it with an AEM dry flow, and later an Apexi, I no longer had faulty MAF readings when I would data log.
Did you use an AEM Takeda sealed-unit CAI, drop-in or regular CAI? How did you like the AEM filter (Pro Dry S, I'm assuming)?

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Did you use an AEM Takeda sealed-unit CAI, drop-in or regular CAI? How did you like the AEM filter (Pro Dry S, I'm assuming)?
Oh no I was talking about my last car, which had a custom CAI that I made myself, just using the filter, and I only used it on the track since it was a few inches above the ground. And yes, it was the pro dry I think, I sold it a few years ago, it didn't give me any problems. I'll probably go with Apexi though when I make a CAI for this car.

OP
OP

sometimestwice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
$60 for a filter that has unnecessary oil? Your paying the money for a CAI for engineering, proven dyno gains, the sound, the look. Pricey but worth it to me. My assumption is this guy talking about the K&N filters remembers the old days when upgrading a filter on a truck 20 years ago made a difference. But the newer cars are well built so companies have to engineer heat shields and utilize the factory air box area to get power. But the air from that area is cool air. Take a closer look next time, you will see how they made it on the 2.0l models. But if you don't want an intake, don't buy one. The car performs fine without it. I just like having an intake on my car, simple as that

Last edited:
OP
OP

sometimestwice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I compared videos to a stock 2.0l and it seems the intake makes the 0-60 about 1 second faster. Also I'm noticing an average of 1-3 mpg more, depends on driving habit obviously. Definitely was worth it in my opinion

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$60 for a filter that has unnecessary oil? Your paying the money for a CAI for engineering, proven dyno gains, the sound, the look. Pricey but worth it to me. My assumption is this guy talking about the K&N filters remembers the old days when upgrading a filter on a truck 20 years ago made a difference. But the newer cars are well built so companies have to engineer heat shields and utilize the factory air box area to get power. But the air from that area is cool air. Take a closer look next time, you will see how they made it on the 2.0l models. But if you don't want an intake, don't buy one. The car performs fine without it. I just like having an intake on my car, simple as that
I agree with you in points, so I'm not gonna argue over a person's personal choice. That's the reason there are so many different parts and accessories.

As for the oily filter....alot of idiots completely saturate the filter, stick it straight in, and start the car. Emphasis on idiots. The proper way is to lightly coat the filter, (I use a K&N spray can), let it set for 20-30 minutes, then put it in. I've never had an issue, but....:dunno:

OP
OP

sometimestwice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, a slightly noticeable gain on that from my experience. Best bet is the top left mount on the shield that is held in by the stock rubber washer, you will need to bend the bracket a little. I think I may had to bend one of the bottom bracket slightly and it fit. Just took a lot of grunting, cussing, and several attempts lol. Definitely make sure you have all tools they recommend. Nowthat I've had the intake for a good minute, and installed my HID kit, I really like how it all ended up.